PDA

View Full Version : Old measuring device

Phil Phelps
04-28-2003, 8:35 PM
I never know the technical side of anything. I've seen this rule at the shop since I was a kid. I think Wilson was president. What's the proper name of this relic? I'ts still in great shape.

Keith Outten
04-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Phil,

According to the Great Tool Emporium by David X. Manners on page 62 the folding rule in your picture is called a "Boxwood Rule". The book shows identical measuring instruments in two pictures, one was manufactured by Lufkin and the other by Stanley. There were English Boxwood Rules that were made without the caliper, these were made in lenghts of up to 36" long and some had other features such as levels or protractors.

Phil Phelps
04-29-2003, 1:07 PM
Way to go Keith. At least I know what it is. Now I'll leave it out and someone will ask what it is. I'll reply, "you don't know what that is"? Harumphhh

Keith Outten
04-29-2003, 5:18 PM
No problem Phil,

I just happen to have the Great Tool Emporium book and I use it as a reference every now and then.

Soon I'm going to post a couple of pictures of two tools I have that are real jewels. One is a very old Delta contractors saw, it is so old that the casting numbers aren't in Delta's database. This saw is unique in that the table surface tilts and the blade remains vertical. My second jewel is a very old Buffalo Forge hand crank drill press.

Both of these tools are in great shape and could be used if necessary. I had to special order a bearing for the table saw, the salesman at my local bearing supply lost his cool when he tried to cross reference the saw bearing. He couldn't believe how old the machine must be since it wasn't in any of his catalogs.

By the way I am not a collector of antique tools, these just came my way via friends.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-29-2003, 6:16 PM
Phil, Stanley also calls it a "caliper rule".