PDA

View Full Version : I need help identifing shipwrights adze

Jeff L Miller
04-30-2012, 1:33 PM
I discovered this old shipwrights adze at an estate sale this weekend and am having trouble identifying it.

The partial makers mark reads ---LLER & TOR--- below that reads --OOL MFG and below that is ORTLAND. There is a K forged on the side of the adze which leads me to believe the above LLER is KELLER. I'm also thinking its from Portland ME, not Oregon. I've done some basic research and am running into dead ends. 231009 231010 I thought some of you folks may be able to give me a lead or two.. The cutting edge is 5 inches across and the pole is 2 3/8 inches long.

Thanks much

Jeff

Jim Creech
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I've been researching for 3 days and haven't found anything even close. This is a tough one.

Jeff L Miller
05-03-2012, 3:22 PM
Thanks Jim, I figured there were prople working on it, I've been through the same process. If there is something else I need to photograph or describe that may hold a clue, let me know.

Jeff

Sam Murdoch
05-03-2012, 4:53 PM
Have you tried looking through this web site? http://www.davistownmuseum.org/TDMtoolMakers.html This page opens on Registry of Maine Toolmaker Listings. I'm wondering if the K is an owners mark - a very nice one, but not at all associated with the manufacturer.

OK, as I was much intrigued by that web site I took the time to scroll through the entire lists A-Z and stopped at all Portland entries. Sorry to say, no entries corresponded with the info in the photo. Good luck with your search :) :confused:

Sam

Jim Ritter
05-03-2012, 6:43 PM
I looked at both of my adzes, and neither one has any markings that I can see.

Jeff L Miller
05-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Sam, I have been through the Davistown Museum site list for Maine tool makers three times....no luck.'

Jim, thanks for checking something will turn up I hope.

Jeff

Jeff L Miller
05-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I have turned up a similar shipwright's adze that was sold on ebay in February this year, #280809465820, but can't seem to pull it up. The partial listing I located read Keller & Tork Tool MFG, Portland, OR and it was stamped on the inside face of the adze.

I am running into dead ends finding any reference to Keller & Tork tool mfg here in Portland.

Jeff