PDA

View Full Version : MAN! It's easy to get rusty.

Mike Circo
04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
You can indeed get rusty in a hurry.

So as is usually the case, life intruded on my hobby. Between all the family adventures changes and such, I haven’t been in the shop doing anything of value for almost two years. So I finally decided to MAKE the time to enjoy myself and do something fun.

Start simple I thought, use some white oak, to make a mission style wall holder. The LOML needs to go ahead months to plan our lives, and most commercial units trap the pages in a slot.

Simple it wasn’t. Used mortise and tenon frame, a pencil box at the bottom, molding at the top. Simple, right?....Wrong! What an eye opener on getting rusty. Forgot how to use my mortise jig, hit the tenons dead on for thickness, but uglied up the shoulders to the point I may have to redo them. Which is okay as I messed up the dimensions and it’s too wide anyway. I spent half a day re-learning how to do box joints, way to long doing some simple resaw. Replacing old glue, finding the necessary tools, headscratching, etc. Took way longer than necessary.

Lesson learned. Make any little project on occasion just to stay current.

Oh well, it was fun anyway.

Jim Rimmer
04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
No pics; didn't happen. :D Seriously, you're right, unused skills seem to fade quickly.

Bill White
04-30-2012, 1:41 PM
Rusty? Wax your head with Johnson's.
Years ago I had to cut some crown. Couldn't remember for the life of me that ya did it upside down and backwards. Duh!!!
Get to work. It'll all come back.
Bill