PDA

View Full Version : Jet Rebates

Ron White
03-30-2005, 2:48 PM
I sent in a rebate for a Jet purchase I made back in feb. I called them today to check on it and they told me it will be about 2 more months before I get it. Has anyone else seen this? I think this is a joke for them to offer rebates and then take 3 months to get it back to you.

Jim Becker
03-30-2005, 2:50 PM
This is pretty normal, in my experience, across the board. The fastest I've ever received a rebate was one month, but usually it's at least two, if not three. And sometimes when a manufacturer of some product uses a rebate clearing house, you have to fight to get it at all...silence just gives you no money.

John Shuk
03-30-2005, 3:39 PM
I bought a unisaw in December and got it in early Jan. I am still waiting for my Mobile base. How can it possibly take so long? There is no justification. I know Delta and Jet have computers. This kind of wait should be a thing of the past.

Stephen Dixon
03-30-2005, 3:47 PM
I feel inclined to spout my rebate rant here. I personally believe rebates constitute illegal advertising. It allows companies to advertise a product for some x sum, but when you get to the store you find the price is x+y where y is the rebate. Of course the States Attorney Generals will never do anything about it because they know that the States are getting taxes on x+y even if you only pay x for a product. Of course the companies know that fewer than 10% actually redeem their rebates, and they make it VERY hard for them to do that.
Steve

Jerry Clark
03-30-2005, 3:48 PM
I like Costco rebates-- go online to their site - fill out the form and within a week they send you a check. They handle the mfg rebates. NO hassle! No sending in paperwork.

Hoa Dinh
03-30-2005, 4:56 PM
Three months seems to be the norm these day. The rebates for some stuffs I bought before Christmas started trickling in last week.

Note that you can bring up the rebate issue with the retailer. Here's an excerpt from the consumer advocate column of a local newspaper:

The FTC said CompUSA falsely represented to customers who bought their own brand products, and computer peripherals manufacturer QPS products, that rebates would be paid within six to eight weeks, but it said some customers waited up to six months or never received money.

The feds also accused CompUSA of continuing to advertise QPS rebates despite knowing about these serious delays, up until QPS filed for bankruptcy protection in August 2002.

The case represents the first time the FTC has charged a nationwide retailer over its rebate advertising practices, including its advertising of manufacturer mail-in rebates.

In the settlement, the FTC noted that retailers are responsible for the rebates of products they advertise and sell.

Said FTC attorney Kerry O'Brien, ``If you're a retailer and you're advertising someone else's rebates, you can't turn a blind eye to their problems fulfilling those rebates.''

I once bought an item from Costco with $35 rebate from the manufacturer. The manufacurer screwed up the rebate. After several fruitless attempts to resolve the issue with the manufacturer, I bought all the paperwork to Costco and nicely asked them for help. Right there and then, they refunded me $35.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-31-2005, 2:18 AM
I too dislike rebates, unless they are instituted like vehicle rebates are. If the manufacturer wants to offer rebates, it should be up to the owner of the store to claim them, on behalf of myself. It allows them to offer lower prices, at no cost to them. WIN WIN!

Rich Konopka
03-31-2005, 7:33 AM
I sent in a rebate for a Jet purchase I made back in feb. I called them today to check on it and they told me it will be about 2 more months before I get it. Has anyone else seen this? I think this is a joke for them to offer rebates and then take 3 months to get it back to you.

Typically, it will take 6-8 weeks for a rebate. If you purchased in Feb I would expect to see it in April. If you have a copy of the rebate form and receipts ( I hope you do) see if it says 6-8 weeks. If so, call them back and inform them that they have 6-8 weeks. Also let them know your are going to file a complaint wit the FTC. CompUSA just got spanked (http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/03/compusa.htm) over this very issue. You may also want to call your AG.

John Miliunas
03-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Maybe I'm lucky, but I had real good luck with my rebates from Delta. My rebate purchases included two cash back checks and the PC 690 router, all received within about a 4-5 week period.:) Don't get me started on what I think of the computer or electronic rebates, though! Fer cryin' out loud...You can't even walk into BB without seeing "after rebate" on the bulk of their computer peripherals. I needed a USB card to install into a PCI slot for one of my machines some time ago. After going to Comp, BB and CC and seeing either, unreal prices or "after rebate", I bought one at a general mechandise discount center to remain un-named! Great price and the same $$ as the ones "after rebate". :) Anymore, if it has the rebate garbage on it, they can consider mine a lost sale!:cool:

Ellen Benkin
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
I suggest that a person unhappy with the time it takes to get rebates write the the FTC (that's the feds) with a copy to your congressman, and a copy to your state attorney general. You may not get immediate relief, but the more complaints they get, the more likely they are to encourage the legislature to take action.

Corey Hallagan
03-31-2005, 4:43 PM
I bought the Porter cable Compressor with 2 nail guns for 297. and a rebate for a free stapler. Bought the unit in October, sent the rebate stuff in first of November and got the free stapler in February. Called PC rebate center in Jan. and they said they were still processing the the rebates received in October, so a november one would be a few more weeks. Just takes time. .. I did get it.

Corey