PDA

View Full Version : Stuff for Woodmaster 712

Jim dePrado
04-30-2012, 8:38 AM
I just picked up a hardly used 712 for $700. It came with the caster set, planer head, sander attachment, molding head and collars for the gang rip saw(???). I currently have a Delta lunch box planer, that I will be selling, so I will be using the 712 as a molder and planer. Any suggestions on accessories that I should get. Is the spiral head worth it? Would you buy the one from Woodmaster, or someplace else? What do I need to make moulding? The poly board? Where is the best place for moulding knives? Are there a particular kind of knives that will fit? Is it hard to set the knives?

Sorry for the 20 questions,

Jim

Ryan Hellmer
04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Jim, I don't have the spiral for my woodmaster, although I'm working towards it. Heard nothing but good things for those heads. Personally I'm leaning towards a Byrd, but the woodmaster option seems pretty reasonably priced. As for molding, no need to buy the expensive poly board, I've used a double thickness of MDF with a laminate top on it one fixed "fence" and one moveable using the existing table slots or just clamping/screwing fence down. I've had really good luck with the woodmaster molding knives, fair price, good quality (although I've only purchased 3 or 4). I run my molding knives in the planer head, I think it works better with more mass and stability for a smoother cut. Just mention that when ordering and they throw in extra gibs and couterweights to balance the 3 slot head. Using a single cutter, it's easy as pie to set the knives.

I've had very good luck with my machine, I take off the bed attachments when using it solely for planing, I've found that the workpiece riding on the cast iron table just made things easier, more accurate and had less scallop/snipe. The gang rip is fantastic and super safe. You got a good deal on the planer, you'll never miss that old lunchbox...

Ryan

ed vitanovec
04-30-2012, 10:46 PM
I have the 718 with the accessory pack and have used everything except the drum sander, have a dual drum sander. I have planned without the table board and noticed I needed to keep the table and extensions waxed regularly or else the board would drag. I don't have the spiral head and when I inquired from Byrd about one for my 718 it was going to be quite a bit more money verses the one from Woodmaster. I never did buy one and am getting good results with the standard knifes, I think because of the variable speed. With my molding I bought the currugated head from Woodmaster and it has been really nice. The knives I have been buying from WDR sales, Bill is a really nice guy and knows alot about the Woodmaster. The knives are easy to install and the corrugation makes them lock in place at the correct height. You bought yours at a good price.

Regards!
Ed

Jim Andrew
05-01-2012, 8:27 AM
I have the 718 and the spiral head, when I checked with Byrd at that time, they said they don't make one with the morse tapers. Then Woodmaster started, and comparing to the Byrd on my jointer, can't tell the difference. It is a big improvement over the 3 blade cutterhead. And then you can just use the 3 blade cutter for molding.

Greg Portland
05-01-2012, 2:22 PM
Regarding the poly board (HDPE) you can buy sheets of the stuff from Grainger or a plastics distributor. I have not tried feeding wood without the board but I'd image the powder coated steel is pretty slick. In other words, it will be harder to feed if the power coat starts getting scratched or damaged (which is pretty hard). IMO, I'd use it until it gets hard to feed then buy the poly boards.

Jim dePrado
05-04-2012, 6:59 AM
I appreciate the replies. I hope to get into the shop this weekend to try out my new toy.

Jim

Greg Portland
05-04-2012, 2:39 PM
It looks like a bunch of replies disappeared? Anyway, try the standard planer head before running out and getting a Woodmaster spiral. You'll need to run the piece through the drum sander either way. I really like the reversing switch & digital height display. The reversing switch will pay for itself the first time you bog down the sander and melt the velcro. The digital display (Woodmaster or Wixey version) are both great and tell you what height the planer head is set at. If you go Wixey, make sure you get the right version (not the ones for a lunchbox planer).

I get my knives from Woodmaster and have no complaints.