PDA

View Full Version : Another Mesquite NE hf

Kathy Marshall
04-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Similar to one I posted last year (the one accepted for the Tohono Chul mesquite Exibit), but I think the form on the original was better. The sapwood on this log was very thick and I should have made the neck and opening smaller but the cambium layer was very stringy and after lots of CA and lots of light cuts I finally got a decent cut and quit while I was ahead. I also think I ended up with too much slope on the top of the shoulder, it would have been better with a more horizontal top.
It's about 5 x 6" and just has a coat of DO.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
04-30-2012, 5:43 AM
Kathy, while I like this one, I do think the previous one was better. Without a straight on profile shot it is hard to tell, but I think the concern I would have relates to the shoulder slope/placement, and perhaps a little too much abruptness in the upward turn at the neck.

Roger Chandler
04-30-2012, 5:59 AM
Technically, this one is more difficult than your last.............even though I like natural edges, this one, with the form you have chosen, would benefit, I think, with the opening just about where the bark begins, and then it would have a better shape for this particular form you have chosen to put on that piece.

That mesquite is just plum purdy! Nice one K!

Jason Ritchie
04-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Very nice! What beautiful wood! I used to use a lot of Walnut and Osage Orange segmented together for my pens and this wood reminds me of that combination albeit naturally.

Eric Gourieux
04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I like that a lot, Kathy. It's difficult to keep the bark on a NE HF like this. You did well.

Doug W Swanson
04-30-2012, 1:06 PM
I don't think this one is bad at all. I think the other might be a little better but this is no slouch!

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2012, 1:29 PM
Looks pretty good to me! If you do any research into the variety of forms that can be considered Southwest... old and new - you will see that the shoulder/neck area you created on this one fits right in with the style!

Keep up the good work!

Eric Holmquist
04-30-2012, 1:38 PM
Quite nice. Is it just an optical illusion caused by the wavy sap / heartwood line that makes it look like it would be oval shaped if viewed from above?

steven carter
04-30-2012, 2:39 PM
Another nice one Kathy! I wouldn't necessarily say the other one was better, just different, I like them both.

Ken Glass
04-30-2012, 2:55 PM
Kathy,
Very nice. I see nothing wrong with the form. Colors are wonderful and finish looks good too. Well done.

Roland Martin
05-01-2012, 6:34 AM
I have to say that the first turning suits my taste more than this one, but this is very nice also.

Baxter Smith
05-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Although I will agree on the shape, it still looks good to me and the wood your usual georgeous stuff!