PDA

View Full Version : Burled Poplar Form w/ pedestal

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 8:42 PM
Hey All,
Here is a Burled Poplar Form I finished last week. It is 7-1/2" tall and 9-1/2" wide. It was a Burl Cap that I had for awhile. It seems only lately have the creative juices really started flowing again. I seem to go through stages where I can't seem to see a finished turning in a piece of wood, then something triggers me, and off I go. Does anyone have the same affliction? Anyway this will also go to the show this fall. As usual, I ebonized a Holly Pedestal and finished it in flat lacquer. The form is Beall buffed with Trip and Ren Wax. Your comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Roger Chandler
04-29-2012, 8:46 PM
Now that one has some pizzazz, Ken.........love your pedestal on this one...........unusual lighting on the pics as well........very nice!

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 8:50 PM
Roger,
My photography is always a work in progress. I used three 300 Watt Halogen lights on the sides of my tent and it cast a funky hue, but hey, no shadows? LOL

Dennis Ford
04-29-2012, 8:55 PM
This is really very nice; the wide burl on that pedestal almost looks tipsy but at the same time it shows off a great design. The black pedestal goes nicely with the dark spots in the burl.

Jay Rasmussen
04-29-2012, 8:59 PM
Nice work Ken, looks almost fluid. You obviously have a lotof fun behind the lens as well.

John Keeton
04-29-2012, 9:05 PM
Ken, this one is very unique!! I like the design on the pedestal and the whole piece has excellent proportions. Poplar burl is a rarity IMO - this is the first I have seen. What about this image - is it closer?

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2012, 9:47 PM
Really nice piece Ken. I like it all the way around. I really like that pedestal.

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 9:55 PM
John,
That's what my eyes saw when I shot it, but my lighting mucked it up pretty bad. I need to get some Florescent bulbs, but it seems everything else takes precedence.

Bernie,
Thanks. I never know what my Pedestals will look like until I start turning them. Weird, huh.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2012, 9:57 PM
Ken - that's pretty cool looking! I like the sense of motion it projects! Should be a big hit at your show!

Baxter Smith
04-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Very neat piece Ken. I like the piece a lot but the cone shape in pedestal may take a little getting used to for me. The overall size and height of the pedestal seems to fit the top very well!

Steve Mawson
04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Ken,
Looks like a great piece for the fall show. I know it would look great on my mantel.

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Steve M,
Your welcome to come to the Strawn Art Gallery, November 3rd and buy it, and put it on your mantel. I'll even give you a ticket to the Gala. LOL

Michelle Rich
04-30-2012, 7:28 AM
the upside down picture shows the burl off best! Glad your trigger got limbered up..this is very pretty

Bill Wyko
04-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I'd say that the juices are flowing,,,, like a tsunami! That is just georgeous!!!! Almost looks like a fountain of burl. Excellent job, thanks for sharing.