PDA

View Full Version : Maple Entertainment Center

Chris Padilla
04-29-2012, 5:35 PM
I'm quite embarrassed to admit that this project has been in the works for probably north of 6-7 years. The TV section has been "about done" for about 5 of those years and I'm finally getting around to the cabinet left of the fireplace. My wife has threatened to not allow me to fly out to Colorado to attend my 25th reunion in July this summer unless she sees significant progress on this cabinet!! LOL! :D

Anyway, maybe posting progress in here will keep me going on this. I'm working on the doors right now which as you can see will be simple frame/panel construction to match some Ethan Allen furniture we have.

Chris Padilla
04-29-2012, 5:39 PM

I just realized the design of the left cabinet is going to change slight due to an error on my part. I'll update the Sketch-Up and post the new design and then explain the design error I made. The error is even in the SU I did but I just didn't notice it until I built the cabinet! SIGH :)

Chris Padilla
04-30-2012, 5:24 PM
So can anyone pick out the error looking at the carcass versus the faceframe/drawer/doors?

Tom Willoughby
04-30-2012, 6:09 PM
Ok, I'll go first. The only thing that I could see is that the top two drawers (assuming it is not one) isn't supported by a verticle middle carcass support.

It looks good Chris!

Tom

Chris Padilla
04-30-2012, 6:40 PM
Here is the fix for the error. I should provide a little more background info on the cabinet. The two middle openings, one above the other, will be file drawers. The bottom opening will be a long drawer for large art tablets (wife likes to draw). The two tall cavities will simply be storage as well as the two upper openings so these simply get doors.

The fix "covers" the error. In other words, the two file drawers and tallish cavities will now be hidden behind bigger doors than originally planned. The error is subtle but I'm curious if a Creeker with a sharp eye can pick out what I did wrong. BTW, Tom, the cabinet does get a backer board stiffening up the whole things so it is quite strong with everything well supported...I think. :)

George Gyulatyan
05-01-2012, 2:29 AM
Well, I suppose it would depend on how you'd install the two outside stiles on the FF. I see the top of the case overhangs on the left, but not on the right, so the right stile would end up being flush with the ouside of the case and your left stile probably flush with the left inside. Outwardly this would make the right side of the case look narrower, although your drawings do take this into account.

One of the pics shows that your bottom drawer is overlay rather than inset?

Chris Padilla
05-01-2012, 7:54 AM
George got it! I messed up not properly accounting for the two long outer stiles. The carcasses "H" is symmetrical or equally distance from the outer edges of the carcass and it should not have been so that made the right tall door not quite as wide and the left tall door. UGH!!!! The SU drawing even shows this but neither my wife or I noticed the difference until I started measuring to make the doors!!! Lesson's learned, lesson's learned.... :)

Chris Padilla
05-01-2012, 1:40 PM
George,

Everything will be inset. That drawer front in that pic hasn't been cut to fit yet.