PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Secretary Hardware

Allen Breinig
04-29-2012, 4:46 PM
I am currently building a drop front desk and need to locate hardware. The piece will be a toned down version of the Salem Secretary or Lonnie Bird's secretary done in walnut. Just the bottom half for now but may add the top later. I want quality hardware but don't want to break the bank. Trying to sort out all the hardware that I need, finishes, styles, where to buy has me a little perplexed. Has anyone sorted this all out that would be willing to share the information and help me out? The don't do this may be as helpful as anything.

Thanks,
Allen

Sam Murdoch
04-29-2012, 7:59 PM
I believe Horton Brasses could be a good source for you http://www.horton-brasses.com/

Bruce Page
04-29-2012, 8:41 PM
Ball and Ball is another good source. Not cheap but if I was going to put that much time & effort into a quality piece I would not cut corners on the hardware.

Robert LaPlaca
04-29-2012, 9:42 PM
I am currently building a drop front desk and need to locate hardware. The piece will be a toned down version of the Salem Secretary or Lonnie Bird's secretary done in walnut. Just the bottom half for now but may add the top later. I want quality hardware but don't want to break the bank. Trying to sort out all the hardware that I need, finishes, styles, where to buy has me a little perplexed. Has anyone sorted this all out that would be willing to share the information and help me out? The don't do this may be as helpful as anything.

Thanks,
Allen

Lonnie Birds secretary project used Ball and Ball brasses, I confirmed this with Ball and Ball, as previously mentioned Ball and Ball hardware is very high quality and the price is commensurate with the quality.. I will PM you the hardware bill of materials..

Allen Breinig
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Do you think Ball & Ball hardware is better than what Horton is offering? Horton's catalog sure is easier to work with for me. Ball & Ball has so much stuff I can't sort my way through it. I will look forward to your bill of materials list as that may help me.

Bruce you are right that I don't want cheap looking hardware on a piece that took this much time and effort. Even though it is toned down (at the wife's request) it is still a large undertaking.

Jeff Neely
07-24-2014, 6:17 PM
Robert. Can you send me the hardware bill of materials also? Thanks in advance.

Robert LaPlaca
07-25-2014, 1:10 PM
Robert. Can you send me the hardware bill of materials also? Thanks in advance.

Hey I decided that maybe it would be easier for folks going forward who want to build the FWW Lonnie Bird secretary going forward is to just upload the bill of materials Excel file to this thread..293713

Terry D May
07-27-2015, 9:16 PM
Based on the hardware list, am I correct to conclude that Lonnie just used keyhole escutcheons on the lower case drawers, and did not actually use locks on the drawers? I've seen this done before, but don't know if it is a common practice in period pieces. I'm in the process of purchasing hardware for a similar secretary project.

Robert LaPlaca
07-28-2015, 12:00 PM
My understanding from Ball and Ball, is that is correct.. But nothing says you couldn't use locks on the drawers, you can expect you hardware bill to increase an easy $120-150 for the bottom case..

Terry D May
07-29-2015, 9:12 PM
My understanding from Ball and Ball, is that is correct.. But nothing says you couldn't use locks on the drawers, you can expect you hardware bill to increase an easy $120-150 for the bottom case..

Robert, thanks for the reply. Actually, I'd prefer not to add locks to the drawers... it seems a bit overkill, and would significantly increase the cost as you said. I just want to be sure my use of hardware is consistent with period pieces. I assume many period secretaries didn't have locks on every drawer, and Lonnie's reproduction would seem to support that. So I plan to just use keyhole eschuteons on the case drawers as well.

peter gagliardi
07-30-2015, 8:10 AM
Do you think Ball & Ball hardware is better than what Horton is offering?
I have used both, but the Ball and Ball much less so.
Reason: cost vs quality. The Horton hardware is in my opinion, every bit as good as Ball and Ball! It also happens to be much easier on the wallet, and easier to see/pick what you want. Most of their items are made right in their CT facility, and their customer service is excellent!
No affiliation, just a very satisfied user.