PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Table with DC

Greg Peterson
04-29-2012, 3:54 PM
As many, if not most of you know, when it comes to using the drill press, it is a messy task. Health issues of fine dust aside, the wood chips may not travel far from the source, but they tend to travel in 360 degrees. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning up after even the most limited use of the drill press.

So my first phase in tackling this problem addresses the fine dust and some of the smaller chips. This first phase is part of a 1-2 two approach to effective DC at the drill press. Phase 2 will incorporate DC into a fence. A bit trickier problem to address.

This drill press table is a prototype and already, after some testing, I know I want/need to make some adjustments. But even as it stands it is a significant improvement.

I basically built a mini down draft table that accommodates my HF DC. The concept is simple enough and the execution turned out to be equally simply. The biggest guess was how large an area I could create for effective DC while providing adequate support of the perforated surface. This is where my guess was a bit on the conservative side and V.II will address this.

This design should work on virtually any drill press, or at least every drill press I have seen.

I started with a 18" x 25" piece of 3/4" MDF. I cut out a hole for the 45 degree 4" DC port, angling the front edge, or the edge closest to the center of the table so the airflow would have a smoother transition into the port- who knows how effective that is, but every little bit helps. I then glued and nailed 1 1/2" rails along the perimeter of the base.

In this next picture, I originally considered this configuration for the DC area of the downdraft. I ultimately went to roughly an 8" x 8" area under the chuck. But I think this picture more or less gets the idea across.

A couple of concepts I employed were that holes furthest away from the port would need to be larger than the holes closest to the port. Also, holes directly above the port needed to be closed off. In essence, I had to control the area where the DC would occur on the table and try to even out the airflow over the entire area. Some duct tape (the real stuff - i.e. expensive) over the holes directly above the DC port allowed me to channel the air flow. The further away the holes were from the DC port, the larger the holes were. And all the holes received a slight chamfer.

In order to provide adequate support under the perforated top, I used wooden dowels cut to 1 1/2" (same height as rails on side) and placed them in a manner that both provided adequate support and left as clear a airflow path as possible. I clamped them up in a hand clamp, center drilled them and chamfered the top so the wood screw would sit below to top surface of the dowel. Sorry, no pics of this - in the heat of problem solving I dislike stopping to take pictures.

Next up was installing the top. This went quickly and easily. I used white pegboard that was just a hair shy of 1/4" and was pleased to see it was stout enough for my intentions. I chamfered the holes where I drove the mounting screws so they would sit below the surface of the table top so they won't mar any pieces being drilled.

Anyway, here is the final product. As stated, it is a prototype with improvements already in mind. But it is a healthy step in the right direction.

Anyway, I hope this solves some peoples problem or gets the creative juices flowing. I enjoyed the project and look forward to phase 2 - I have a pretty good idea how to solve the DC fence problem. Stayed tuned.

Phil Thien
04-29-2012, 4:30 PM
Very clever solution!

And as always, your execution is superb.

Greg Peterson
04-29-2012, 4:59 PM
Thanks Phil. You have set the bar pretty high around here, so that is high praise.

Mike Heidrick
04-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Will you add larger chip collection as well? Very nice.

Matt Day
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
I was just thinking about how to deal with drill press waste yestrday while cutting some holes with a forstner bit. Would you plan to cut some 3/4" or so sized holes to sweep the larger chips into? I'd be happy with that I think, if it only took a few sweeps of the hand to clear the table.

Rich Engelhardt
04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I was just thinking about how to deal with drill press waste yestrday while cutting some holes with a forstner bit.
I toss an old near empty roll of masking tape on the piece I'm drilling and have the nozzle of a shop vac about 4 or so inches away that I fasten to the DP fence any time I use a Forstner bit.
It whisks the big chunks away slick as a whistle.
The round shape of the roll keeps all the chips contained.

Since the roll is soft cardboard, if it manages to get tangled up with the bit somehow it doesn't bother anything. It's also low profile enough that it allows plenty of clear space to see where the bit's going.

Greg Peterson
05-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Chip collection is the real challenge. I like Rich's trick of using a empty masking tape roll.

I've already taken the table apart. The table top was too restrictive. With a four inch DC port, 90% of the perforated top needs to be open to the DC.

I'm still pretty stoked about the design. I was happy with the performance of the choked down DC and limited area in the original configuration. Turning the entire top into a down draft table should increase the performance considerably.

And this time I will provide more pictures.

I shaped the DC port cutout in the MDF. Even though I angled the cut to smooth out the air flow, I decided to round it out and smooth it out some more. Took a rasp to it and some 120 sand paper. Shapes pretty easily. I will provide some pictures. Maybe even a video!

pat warner
05-01-2012, 9:18 AM
"So my first phase in tackling this problem addresses the fine dust and some of the smaller chips. This first phase is part of a 1-2 two approach to effective DC at the drill press. Phase 2 will incorporate DC into a fence. A bit trickier problem to address."

So the swarf from wood, metal or plastic will be collected x a fence sucking fixture? And this set up is for the fines?

Ben Hatcher
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Clever solution. Have you had any issue with bits falling through the holes?

I use a section of stay put hose from ptreeusa on my drill press. It can be stretched right up to the workpiece or pushed out of the way. Collection is very good, even on forstner bits provided the speed is set correctly.

Todd Hyman
05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I use the stayput hose as well. It works great on the bandsaw as well.

Greg Peterson
05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Pat - I won't be using this table setup for metal work. However, even though I do not do very much metal work I am going to incorporate a 'quick' connect type of mounting system. And by quick I mean tools free mounting/dismounting.

Large chip collection will be via a fence mounted system. Something along the lines of the Stayput hose. Nothing elaborate but as with most DC processes, two sources are usually required.

Ben - No problems with bits. Couple of reasons why. The holes are 1/4" diameter so most bits won't fit. Second, there are no holes lined up under the bit. In version II, I am going to install a sacrificial plate over a solid base.

Got all the details upstairs stewing in my brain. Just need some shop time to make it happen.

Greg Peterson
05-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Okay, here's the sacrificial portion of the table. Two layers of MDF, the bottom is the permanent base while the top layer can be easily replaced.

And here it is installed into the base of the table.

And as previously mentioned, I did a little shaping of the DC port.

Greg Peterson
05-06-2012, 3:06 PM
Okay, made some progress today.

Since I needed to basically open up the major portion of the top so as to to starve or unnecessarily choke off the DC collection, I had to re-think how I was going to support the top. I had several really busy ideas, as well as expensive ideas.

I finally settled on this solution -

A bunch of 2" #8 wood screws. I figured the screws would only have to carry a vertical load so they should be more than adequate for the task.

The next trick was getting them level, relative to the top rail of the base. Tried to get the surface as flat as reasonably possible. So I broke out my straight edge and .003 feeler gauge and set all the screw within this arbitrary tolerance. Took about ten minutes, but was easy enough.

The last part of the table was to install a T track for holding down stock. Or more specifically, to hold the stock snugly against the fence. The top of the T track is set below the top surface by less than 1/32nd".

I'm going to install a couple of T nuts in the base so that I can use a couple of studded knobs to quickly install or remove the table from the drill press platform. Tools free configuration.

So far the T track is the single most expensive component in this build, and that was left over from my router fence project.

Greg Peterson
05-06-2012, 8:59 PM
And here is the final product.

By far the highest degree of difficulty was getting the cut out in the top surface to line up with the T track. All in all, it's close enough for a prototype. A pretty functional prototype for that matter.

I test drilled some MDF with the spindle speed maxed out. On initial contact 'chips' were ejected from the bit as expected, but very few made it past the front edge of the table. With an additional DC source located behind the bit I expect the large pieces to either get sucked up that or at least slowed down enough so the ones that are ejected toward the operator are slowed enough so the down draft captures them before they can litter the shop.

As for fines, I'm going to set up my Dylos unit next to the saw and see what the numbers say. It was quite breezy when I had the DC running, so my expectations are that this table will perform well. But I'll let the numbers tell the story.

Kevin W Johnson
05-07-2012, 4:03 AM
Good looking table.

If you feel the need for a performance upgrade for your HF DC, the 12" impeller from the Rikon 60-200 DC is a perfect fit and can be ordered from Rikon.

Greg Peterson
05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Kevin. I think I will be posting a video and numbers from the Dylos.

Have you performed this upgrade? Is the motor adequate? The Rikon impeller will fit the HF housing?

Great, just when I thought I was done for the time being with upgrades you drop this idea.:D

Kevin W Johnson
05-08-2012, 4:28 AM
Thanks Kevin. I think I will be posting a video and numbers from the Dylos.

Have you performed this upgrade? Is the motor adequate? The Rikon impeller will fit the HF housing?

Great, just when I thought I was done for the time being with upgrades you drop this idea.:D

Yeah, I've already installed the rikon impeller in mine, and its a perfect fit in the housing and on the shaft. In fact, in looking at the Rikon today at Woodcraft and my HF, they are identical except for the impeller size. I wanted the extra CFM's to go with the top hat separator that I built. The separator is the bomb, keeping the filter clean and allowing maximum air flow. Definately worth the time and effort, as it will save lots of time and aggrivation not having to clean the filter repeatedly. And what doesn't get to the filter, can't find it's way thru the filter either.

IIRC the motor draws 13 amps with my setup, and the Rikon impeller.

Greg Peterson
05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Interesting. I have the Thien separator in my HF DC and the Wynn cartridge filter and am quite happy with this config. This warrants more research.