PDA

View Full Version : My new #8c

Andrew Gibson
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi all, I've been busy surfing the web researching Luthiery, and probably will continue to do so for a while. However I came across a deal I have to share.
I went to pick up a unisaw a few weeks ago and the lady I bought the saw from had a bunch of planes. Her late husband was a tool guy and owned a cabinet shop. Sitting with all the block planes and post war 3s and 4s were 2 #8c jointers. Both in fairly rough shape... both with broken totes and a fair amount of rust... I made an offer for one of $20 and brought it home... cleaned it up and made a new knob and tote for it... The knob and tote are made from locally grown rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo). I modeled both after my favorite knob and tote that happens to be on a fulton #6c that I also paid $20 for.
The iron was toast so I put in a LV replacement. it still needs some honing as I have not touched it except to take it out of the box and put it in the plane. I will probably spend some more time flattening the sole and cleaning up the cheeks, and maybe even give it a fresh coat of paint, but it works and works very well as it sits.
OK enough talkin, here are some pics.

Roy Lindberry
04-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Nice work cleaning that up. I don't have a #8 at all. I wish I could find one for $20.00...even one that needed so much TLC.

Stew Hagerty
04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Very nice. I like your tote & knob creations, they really fit in and look beautiful. I have an 8C and absolutely love it. It's one of my sweetest planes. They just work so darn good. I like it so much more than my #7, and I still use the original blade. Flattening the sole and squaring the sides is a good idea, but unless the plane is half naked I don't agree with the paint job. I buff mine with a soft brass brush followed by some spray-on beeswax that I found. Then I give it a quick rubout and reassemble. If you paint it, you cover up the plane's history. JUst my opinion of course. In any event, great find... Congratulations!

Jim Koepke
04-29-2012, 11:26 AM
That looks to be one Sweet Hart of a plane.

What Stew says about painting is understandable. However, I sure do like the feel of a plane with a smooth painted surface against my hands.

At that price, I would likely buy them all day long.

jtk

Andrew Gibson
04-29-2012, 3:32 PM
As far as the paint goes on this one, there ain't much left. that's the reason for potentially repainting.

Stew Hagerty
04-29-2012, 5:09 PM
As far as the paint goes on this one, there ain't much left. that's the reason for potentially repainting.

Hey, if the japanning is shot then go for it. I've got 2 or 3 in my collection that I repainted for the same reason. I just like to keep ones with enough left to look decent au naturale. Like I said, it shows their history; that they've been used to make useful wooden creations.