PDA

View Full Version : Maple Hollow Form

Ted Evans
04-29-2012, 8:47 AM
Maple and Blackwood, 6.5 x 11", pre-cat lacquer finish. The Maple came from a tree that fell over from the bank of our creek. All comments and suggestions for improvements appreciated.

I think the stem is perhaps a little too bulky.

Nate Davey
04-29-2012, 8:49 AM
Wow, what a beautiful piece. The sap and heart wood really makes a striking combinations and the curl just adds to the beauty. What did you use for the finish?

Jim Burr
04-29-2012, 9:01 AM
Some amazing wood Ted! I'm having a toss up between the form being smaller or the foot larger. Overall...cool looking stuff!

John Keeton
04-29-2012, 9:11 AM
Ted, I am already in the truck headed your way for a load of that wood!!! Awesome looking stuff!

I think you did some fine work, here. The form is very nice, and I like the maple base. While there are some nuances others might do differently, this is an excellent piece. I will add my comments, but only to give you an idea of how I view possible changes - certainly not to take away from your work.

Base and stem - given the contrast of the black, it might be interesting to have the widest part of the stem sitting on the base, with the transition flare at the top being just a bit smaller in comparison. The maple base could be a bit lower (less thick), and that would permit a larger blackwood base to the stem and more progressively smaller elements to the stem. The base has quite a bit of lift for the relatively acute slope of the bottom of the form. As it is, the base appears to be a little small for the form, but I think that is an illusion created by the taller maple base and smaller blackwood stem bottom flare. With a little less maple, a little less lift, and more blackwood, I think the proportions would be good.

Lid and finial - you have nice flow on the top of the form, but with the opening you have the lid needs to be as large as the base. I wonder how it would look with just a little less lift and with the lid being a little smaller than the maple base. There is a lot going on at the base of the finial and the elements are very close together. You might want to try a little taller cove base with the bottom flare being a little wider. This would play well off a wider base on the blackwood stem, too, and would allow you to have progressively smaller elements going up the finial.

Again, Ted, these are simply my comments based on my individual preferences. I certainly do not have any particular expertise - just opinions! Very nice work!

Mike Golka
04-29-2012, 9:41 AM
Nice work, great wood! Sure wish I was able to turn something. Not sure if viewing all the great work on this site is helping me get through being away from my lathe or not:(. Anyway fine job on this piece.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Ted - this looks pretty cool! As for suggestions... John pretty much laid things out for ideas for you to consider the next time around. I like the contrast in colors and the maple is fantastic looking! The only thing that bothers me is the base of the finial. I would like to see the elements still fall within the imaginary continuation of the curve from the main body.... if that makes sense.

Really nice looking hollow form! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Ted Evans
04-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Ted, I am already in the truck headed your way for a load of that wood!!! Awesome looking stuff!

Base and stem - given the contrast of the black, it might be interesting to have the widest part of the stem sitting on the base, with the transition flare at the top being just a bit smaller in comparison. The maple base could be a bit lower (less thick), and that would permit a larger blackwood base to the stem and more progressively smaller elements to the stem. The base has quite a bit of lift for the relatively acute slope of the bottom of the form. As it is, the base appears to be a little small for the form, but I think that is an illusion created by the taller maple base and smaller blackwood stem bottom flare. With a little less maple, a little less lift, and more blackwood, I think the proportions would be good.

Lid and finial - you have nice flow on the top of the form, but with the opening you have the lid needs to be as large as the base. I wonder how it would look with just a little less lift and with the lid being a little smaller than the maple base. There is a lot going on at the base of the finial and the elements are very close together. You might want to try a little taller cove base with the bottom flare being a little wider. This would play well off a wider base on the blackwood stem, too, and would allow you to have progressively smaller elements going up the finial.

John, your comments and suggestions are exactly what I am looking for, thanks for taking the time to share, as I very much value your ideas, as well as many others on the Creek. I see what you suggest would definitely be an improvement. Being that I struggle so much with form and balance, I have decided to not glue the modules together until after posting some pictures. Then it will be a simple matter to try the suggestions of others before finalizing the piece. I have added your suggestions to the pictures and will put it by the lathe for future reference.

There is approximately fifteen to twenty feet of the trunk left hanging over the little creek so come on down and we will cut off some for you. I have only used some of the small pieces that I got when cleaning the top from the creek. I have too much spalted, real spalted, Maple and some Walnut that I am trying to get processed before it is too late....my age.

Ted Evans
04-29-2012, 10:53 AM
...... The only thing that bothers me is the base of the finial. I would like to see the elements still fall within the imaginary continuation of the curve from the main body.... if that makes sense.

Thanks Steve, and yes, it does make sense, now that you point it out. I have added your comment with John's to put by the lathe. I have definitely decided not to glue things together before getting suggestions from others here.

Ted Evans
04-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow, what a beautiful piece. The sap and heart wood really makes a striking combinations and the curl just adds to the beauty. What did you use for the finish?

Hi Nate, the finish is pre-catalyzed one step soft rubbed lacquer.

Dennis Ford
04-29-2012, 1:08 PM
Beautiful work! I like the overall proportions and the HF is very well done. The base and finial have a lot of detail; perhaps too much.

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 3:15 PM
Ted,
That is a very nice piece. The shape is very pleasing and the height proportions are good too. I agree with John on the base, but like was said it it just a matter of opinion and personal likes. Altogether its a very nice piece and you should be pleased with it. Well Done.

Ron Bontz
04-29-2012, 3:23 PM
I would say you knocked that one out of the park. My compliments.

Michelle Rich
04-30-2012, 7:31 AM
WOW! that is striking. I covered the base with my finger & I adore it as a reg. HF.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-30-2012, 9:17 AM
Ted,
I echo Michelle's comment. Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is very nice. It's just that the wood and form are so attractive, the pedestal just isn't needed. However, all parts are well done.
faust