PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Gloat

Jason Ritchie
04-29-2012, 8:30 AM
I was good last week so my wife took me shopping at Klingspor's Friday afternoon. Here is what I picked out:

I bought Richard Raffan's book and the Wood Turners Finish based on what I learned here.

John Keeton
04-29-2012, 9:15 AM
Jason, looks like you made some smart purchases!! The Woodturners Finish is now my go to finish. The skew and I are not on good terms - we hardly speak anymore -so, that jig would not have been in my purchase, however!!!:D

Jason Ritchie
04-29-2012, 9:33 AM
John, I still turn a lot of pens so the skew is my favorite tool for that. What do you use instead of the skew? I have been using a homeade shapening jig for a while now and it works great but takes a lot of time to switch the setup between different tools so I finally bit the bullet and bought the full setup. I bought the vari-grind some time ago for my bowl gouges and really like it a lot.

Steve Schlumpf
04-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Congrats! Always a good thing when you can pick up some tools you KNOW you are going to use! Have fun!!

John Keeton
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
What do you use instead of the skew?Anything!!! I would prefer using a dull hatchet!;):D A skew works magic in the hands of someone that has the skill, but I just never got there. Saw the videos - half dozen times, but no go!

Roger Chandler
04-29-2012, 3:06 PM
That wolverine setup will help you as much as anything in turning........that and Raffan's book will serve you very well!