PDA

View Full Version : Planing speed

Lewis Ehrhardt
04-29-2012, 12:55 AM
I've got a old style Grizzly planer (G103713-inch). It has two speeds. I'm curious which speed you guys who have two speed planers [comparable to mine] use. Is the conventional wisdom that the slower speed is usually the best? I know board size makes a difference, but I'm thinking overall planing. Thanks for the comments. Lewis

Larry Edgerton
04-29-2012, 7:22 AM
Mine is a four speed, but I basicly use low and high. I use fouth gear [72fpm]for roughing it out and take a light finish [16fpm] pass.

If you are roughing stock out keep in mind that a fast pass has a lot less cuts in the wood, and so there is a lot less chance of hitting a piece of dirt with the knives. For this reason I usually do a fast pass first.

So I guess my answer to your question would be both.

Larry

glenn bradley
04-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Larry speaks true. Higher speeds / less cuts per inch for roughing. Slower speeds / more cuts per inch for a smoother surface. I get most of my material from the lumber yard (city boy) so I tend to run the low speed for nearly everything as general roughing is not required.

Lewis Ehrhardt
04-29-2012, 10:55 PM
thanks that's kind of what I was thinking [hadn't give the sand any thought, good point!] just wanted some other's thoughts.