PDA

View Full Version : Gloat Pic

Ken Salisbury
03-30-2005, 1:23 PM
Since selling my Grizzly 24" Drum Sander I needed a smaller drum sander.

I made a trip to GIS in Nashville yesterday and picked up a Performax 10-20.

Will try to play with it later today or tomorrow and make a tool assessment.

John Gregory
03-30-2005, 1:51 PM
I have been looking at this model for sometime now. Due to shop space considerations, the size seems good. I am looking forward to your assessment.

John

Jeff Sudmeier
03-30-2005, 2:29 PM
Ken I too will be looking forward to your thoughts on this machine. I have been thinking about a Performax sander. I have been looking at the 16/32, but if the 10/20 does most jobs, I would consider it.

lou sansone
03-30-2005, 2:49 PM
ah... another new toy for the shop... lets us know how you like it.

best wishes lou

Michael Stafford
03-30-2005, 3:32 PM
I look forward to your review as I have considered purchasing one myself. Is that a segmented bowl on the lathe in the background?

Keith Outten
03-30-2005, 4:56 PM
Ken,

Here is the link to my Performax 10/20 Gloat with a picture of the hydraulic table I recommended to you last night. You won't be disappointed in the table and it is a perfect match for the sander and the Jet Mini as well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11823&highlight=sander+hydraulic+table

Gongratulations on the new sander, your gonna love it!

Bill Arnold
03-30-2005, 5:51 PM
I've had my 16-32 for a few weeks now and have been satisfied with it. It seemed to take an hour or so of operation for the drum to 'settle in' and not need constant tweaking.

The only issue I've seen is the drum and conveyor don't line up quite right. If the conveyor were mounted a half inch to the right, they would align. I sent a note to the vendor and have been ignored. Next step is Performax directly or out local rep.

Ken Salisbury
03-31-2005, 6:17 AM
Is that a segmented bowl on the lathe in the background?

Actually it is a walnut/cherry "layered" bowl.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-31-2005, 8:47 AM
Nice sander Ken!

Ronald DeWeese Sr.
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Ken , I have had one for few months now. It is a little tricky
to set up the drive belt tracking. Much like a floor model belt
sander. The height setting is very critical when sanding because
it will kick the breaker off and then you have to start over your peice
you are sanding. I think it is recommended to lower drum on the peice
and turn the drum by hand. As long as you can turn it by hand the
setting should work ok and not kick out. I do like it for small jobs.
Having a small shop I made this to store and use it: www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16107 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/show)

Bad link see attached.

Ron

Alan Tolchinsky
03-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Congrats Ken. You're even color coordinated with your Jet equipment. Nice, enjoy! Alan in Md.

Tyler Howell
03-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Congrats Ken, Nice haul!:cool:

Richard Wolf
04-11-2005, 9:02 PM
Boy I know I hate it when someone digs out an old thread thats been dead for a while, but Ken, I happen to notice that at one time you had a Grizzly 24" dual drum sander. Did you not like it or what happened? I just purchased a Shop Fox 26" sander (white Grizzly) and I think it works great. I was just wondering??

Richard

Ken Salisbury
04-12-2005, 6:10 AM
Boy I know I hate it when someone digs out an old thread thats been dead for a while, but Ken, I happen to notice that at one time you had a Grizzly 24" dual drum sander. Did you not like it or what happened? I just purchased a Shop Fox 26" sander (white Grizzly) and I think it works great. I was just wondering??

Richard

I had not used the 24" Grizzly for quite some time since I stopped making large pieces. Long ago I made lots of raised panel doors and solid raised panel shutters which I ran through the Griz after assembly. The Griz took up too much floor space in the shop and was not mobile. So I decided on getting a smaller sander which I could make mobile.