PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever...

Tim Bateson
04-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Lets hear it... I know you have the stories...

Have you ever paid $$ for a Font only to find it's only 75% compatible with the desired character set.... :eek: Bleeding profit on that job. Grrrrr

Joe Pelonio
04-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I only paid for a font once, and charged the customer for it. Most I have already or was able to find free. One font, Belwe medium was slightly off but my sign design software allows me to create and/or edit fonts so I was able to make the letters I needed to match.

David Fairfield
04-29-2012, 8:36 AM
I've done jobs where I ended up making no profit. I'm a little better able to identify this type of job/customer now. But I've never purchased a font. I've been tempted. The probelm is the ones I really like, that can't be simulated by tweaking other fonts, are expensive.

Joe what software do you have that allows you to create fonts? I could use something like that.

Dave

Michael Hunter
04-29-2012, 9:32 AM
If a commercial customer specified a special font which had to be paid for, I would ask them to provide it for me to use, or buy it on their behalf and charge the full cost plus a handling charge.

If a private customer wanted a paid-for font, I would try to talk them out of it and if they insisted, then would make them buy it themselves.

The one time this came up in earnest, the customer's marketing department provided a full "style guide" on CD which included all the fonts used by their company. Easy Peasy.

Joe Pelonio
04-29-2012, 9:53 AM
Joe what software do you have that allows you to create fonts? I could use something like that.

Dave
Probably not worth it unless you can find an old copy with the dongle, it was $10,000. Gerber Composer,
made for vinyl sign design, and specific Gerber routers and large format printers. The current version, Gerber Omega 5.0 is about $3,500 but I don't know if it still has the font designer.

Douglas J Miller
04-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Dave, take a look at FontCreator 6.0. Couple hundred bucks for the pro version. I've been using it for a few years, and it does the job.

Martin Boekers
04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I worked in trade show graphics for years, granted that was a commercial industry
and the clients new what was expected from them. They were required to send a
"File Pack" that included hi res graphics (unless we created them) and all fonts needed.
This made production simplier through the stages. If the client requested a font they didn't
have they paid for it. You can legally use a font a customer has paid for and they are allowed
to include it in their project. You just can't legally add that to your library of fonts.

Rodne Gold
04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
I also ask my clients for fonts , if they don't have it , I substitute with the closest , if they not happy with that , we trace the font and add the design time to the price of the job.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-30-2012, 2:36 PM

Dave

You should already have some software that does it Dave. It's called Corel. When you want to create even better, cleaner fonts, you can then switch over to something like Font Creator that has much more powerful font creation features.