PDA

View Full Version : Creeker visit - Steve Busey!

John Keeton
04-28-2012, 4:18 PM
Steve and his son, Kenny, came by today for a couple hours on their way back home from a trip to Indiana to pick up a laser machine that had been purchased. I was honored that he drove a couple hours out of his way just to visit. I gave him the shop and barn tour - though he couldn't stay long as he needed to head on home.

Steve wanted my thoughts on sanding a platter he was working on, but my chuck jaws were either too large or too small to fit the tenon he had on the piece. So, I had to cut down my soft jaws to create a new recess the correct size. He couldn't locate any sawdust, but he was able to get a handful of the plastic curlies before they hit the floor and I swept them up!;):D

I sent him off with some wood, and he gifted me a really beautiful bald eagle laser cut inlaid pen.

I came out really well on that swap! Thanks, Steve, and I hope you get a chance to be back up this way sometime.

Steve Schlumpf
04-28-2012, 6:27 PM
Great photo of you two! Sounds like you both had some fun! Really good looking pen Steve!! I am sure John will show it off every chance he gets!!

Roger Chandler
04-28-2012, 6:34 PM
Sounds like a great visit, albeit a short one.............very nice pen, Steve...........JK, you are a lucky guy! No shavings on the floor...........par for the course! :rolleyes:;)

Ted Evans
04-28-2012, 6:40 PM
Gorgeous pen, do not think I would go quite that far about the two gentlemen in the photo but their artistic skills are awesome.

Russell Eaton
04-28-2012, 7:50 PM
Steve is a great guy, I am unsure of John. Just joking John I think you two are both fine men.

Harry Robinette
04-28-2012, 9:04 PM
Looks like fun was had by all, and thats what counts.

Steve Busey
04-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Finally dragged my carcass through the door a few minutes ago. That last 100-ish miles was tough - my eyes don't handle night-driving like they used to...

I take issue with John saying he came out better on the swap. The creek to me is all about sharing/teaching/learning/inspiring, and John definitely stepped up to the plate in person as he does daily on the forum. So my hat's off for the gracious hospitality shown by both Mr & Mrs K. Eileen made up a sandwich for Kenny (who had eaten a half hour before we arrived!) and chatted with him. He said "She was nice!" :) (in contrast to me and John, I guess? :confused: )

As John said, he showed me around the shop and homestead - a beautiful little slice of Kentucky heaven there!

Thanks again for the wood, sanding lessons & sandpaper to go! Looking forward to seeing your work-in-progress as it reaches completion. If you find yourself heading into Atlanta, look me up - I'll show you how to do those pens. Maybe we can even laser engrave it for you. ;)

Off to bed... unloading can wait until tomorrow afternoon.

Kathy Marshall
04-29-2012, 1:00 AM
Sounds like a great visit! Both got to spend time with another Creeker, John got a great looking pen and sounds like Steve didn't leave empty handed either!

Steve Busey
04-29-2012, 2:06 PM
and sounds like Steve didn't leave empty handed either!

For the record John gave me a couple big bowl blank log sections: walnut & a silver maple w/some ambrosia; and a big (will that thing fit on my lathe??) red gum platter blank. Suddenly they're the nicest looking wood pieces in my shop! :rolleyes: I might frame that walnut as it is! :D

OK, heading offline - got some wiring & installing to do...