PDA

View Full Version : How to price turnings

ryan kelley
04-28-2012, 3:58 PM
I got a phone call today from the landlord, rent is going up. See I live in Chicago and space is at a premium, I rent a garage for shop space and it seems the electric bill has gone up. I don't usually sell my turnings but now it seems that is my only option. I have peppermills, pens and some misc. bowls, the mills are 7"-8 1/2" tall and use a crush grind mechanism, blanks cost me $20, pens are mainly apprentice line jr gent I, and slimline nothing fancy. The bowls on the other are all different, mainly spalted maple, a couple segmented and a couple hollow forms, 8"+ in diameter and 3-5" deep. Where do I start in putting a price on turnings. Any and all help is needed. Thank you

Ed Morgano
04-28-2012, 5:41 PM
Ryan,
We just had a thread on how to price your work. Check it out here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?185402-Gallery-pricing . Hope this helps.

Reed Gray
04-28-2012, 6:47 PM
Well, there is no set answer. Do check out some local galleries, farmer's markets, and craft shows to see what things are selling for. My sister bought a spaulted elm vase in PA for about $350 that I would have a hard time selling here for $70. You just never know.

robo hippy