PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Barrel Location ???

John Schumer
04-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Hello Everyone,
I am getting ready to install my Oneida Cyclone which should be arriving Monday.
I am going to mount this thing in the upstairs, (second floor) of my shop, no noise this way!!
I was planning on mounting the dust sentry on the first floor, when it flashes notifying the barrels full, I'd go up, bring it down, then empty it.
But I got to thinking, (thats a dangerous thing in its own right) this barrel may be heavy, (35 gallons) depending on what i'm working with.
So........
Here is my thought process,
Can I come off the bottom off the cyclone where the barrel attaches with an elbow to pass through a wall, and then straight down to the first floor?
This way, I could just wheel the barrel outside to dump.
Seems like a win, win idea, but will it affect suction or anything?
Thanks,
John

Jim Andrew
04-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't like the idea of an elbow in your drop to your barrel, might plug there which would be a super pain. And don't rely on the dust sentry. I ordered one, installed it by the directions, and it works about one time out of 3. Got real tired of plugging my filter, so cut a hole in the wall, installed a window, put a trouble light next to the hose so I can see it when I'm planing. Only time I run it over is when I'm planing several boards down. Sawing and sanding are no problem. Anyway, I just look at the window and see if the level in the hose is rising, only takes a few seconds for it to fill up the hose when you are planing.

glenn bradley
04-28-2012, 1:48 PM
Agree that this is a great idea except for the elbow.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-28-2012, 3:18 PM
John,

It's gravity that causes the dust to fall into the barrel in a cyclone dust collector. Installing a 90º elbow would cause everything to fall and settle at the 90º. IMHO it won't work.

Jim Becker
04-28-2012, 5:09 PM
I also don't recommend the elbow, now just because it would hamper material from flowing, but also because they leak like a sieve. You cannot have any kind of leak between the bin and the cyclone or you'll get blow-by and a major clog mess in your filters. Not even a little leak!

But I helped another 'Creeker a few years algo install her Oneida cyclone in the upstairs of her shop with a straight drop through the floor to the barrel in the shop below. Worked like a champ.

Michael W. Clark
04-28-2012, 6:34 PM
I also don't recommend the elbow, now just because it would hamper material from flowing, but also because they leak like a sieve. You cannot have any kind of leak between the bin and the cyclone or you'll get blow-by and a major clog mess in your filters. Not even a little leak!

But I helped another 'Creeker a few years algo install her Oneida cyclone in the upstairs of her shop with a straight drop through the floor to the barrel in the shop below. Worked like a champ.

+1 Don't do the elbow. Position your cyclone so you can run a straight pipe through the floor down to your drum on the first floor. If you have to have a small offset to get the drum closer to the wall, this should be OK as long as your joints are sealed. Try to maintain a 70 degree incline to help gravity do its job. Keep the duct straight for 4-5 cone discharge diameters, before doing any offiset. You can fill your drum this way with minimal potential for carryover. Just don't fil the vertical duct, that will make a mess.
Mike

Thomas Canfield
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
+1 Don't do the elbow. Position your cyclone so you can run a straight pipe through the floor down to your drum on the first floor. If you have to have a small offset to get the drum closer to the wall, this should be OK as long as your joints are sealed. Try to maintain a 70 degree incline to help gravity do its job. Keep the duct straight for 4-5 cone discharge diameters, before doing any offiset. You can fill your drum this way with minimal potential for carryover. Just don't fil the vertical duct, that will make a mess.
Mike

+2. I agree with Mike and want to add that the angle of repose of the light shavings and dust is very high and the 70 degree incline should keep dust from caking on the duct from cyclone outlet. The 4-5 straight sections are needed to prevent disturbing the swirling that would allow more small dust to carry over to the fan and filter. The normal short straight section of hose to a drum allows the dust to drop straight down and then the swirl actually moves the dust to outside of the drum, and not build up in the center.

John Schumer
04-29-2012, 11:12 AM
OK,
I figured my idea was not a good one, and you guys confirmed it!
But hey, you never know unless you ask!
It would have been easiest to mount the cyclone in this particular spot, but on to plan "B"
Keep posted, Im sure to have some more questions as I progress.
Thanks Again for all the help!
John