PDA

View Full Version : Honest Walnut Bowl

Jason Ritchie
04-28-2012, 4:03 AM
Here is another walnut bowl I turned out of the same log my Dad dropped off. When all was said and done it just seemed to be a simple "honest" bowl. When I saw how it turned out I imagined this being something you would see a monk eating rice out of in some far away place. Finished with Mahoney's Walnut Oil finish then Mahoney's Wax.

I think this will be about my 10th bowl I have turned and I think I'm getting better at it.

John Keeton
04-28-2012, 5:39 AM
Jason, the more confident you become in your tool skills, the better turner you will become. So many beginning turners become so intimidated by the tool that they cannot concentrate on form. Looks like you are progressing quite well, and walnut certainly is an excellent wood to work with.

Nice job!

Roger Chandler
04-28-2012, 9:18 AM
Nice work Jason...........especially with this type of bowl form...............it has steep sides and making the transition to the bottom is a challenge to say the least, but you seem to have done pretty well with it. The way you finished off the bottom will develop more over time...........most bowls do not have that straight squared off area, but rather have a sweeping curve to the foot. Of course that was a design decision on your part and a fine job on what you did.

I would encourage you to study form some now that you have gotten your technique down a bit after 10 bowls..........you are doing well in your progression..........keep up the good work! :)

Jason Ritchie
04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments! I went shopping yesterday and picked up Richard Raffan's book called The Art of Turned Bowls based on suggestions in a thread here. There is some really good info in the book and hopefully it will help me develop my "eye" and style.

paul vechart
04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Jason...I really like the form..so much that I will be using it on one of my upcoming bowls. Could you post the dimenions for me?

Thanks

Paul