PDA

View Full Version : walnut vanity & mirrors

Dave Anthony
04-28-2012, 12:53 AM
This is my latest project, built as part of a bathroom remodel. Carcass is prefinished maple ply, face frame and doors are solid walnut. The panels are resawn from 6/4 stock, book matched on the ends and slip matched on the two large center drawers. The two end drawers are shallow but useful, possible because of the vessel sinks. The mirrors are actually doors to medicine cabinets. In the course of the remodel I found the wall was a 2x6 to accommodate the plumbing, and I couldn't stand to see all that space go to waste. The upper cabinets are ~ 6 1/4" deep, and the two on the ends have an electrical outlet inside for a razor, toothbrush, etc. I was initially stumped on how to hinge the doors until I discovered Soss hinges. The outer two mirrors open from the left and right respectively to form a 3 way makeup mirror with the center. Finish is Waterlox original. Thanks for looking.

-Dave

G Douglas Fowler
04-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Very stylish and well executed. I like the mirrors/cabinets - nice storage solution.

G Douglas Fowler
04-28-2012, 10:56 AM
What design issues did you encounter that made the Soss hinges a viable solution?

Dave Anthony
04-28-2012, 1:15 PM
The medicine cabinet doors are overlay with no face frame. They are rabetted on the inside for the mirror, with a second rabbett for a 1/4" piece of ply which holds the mirror in place. Because of this I couldn't figure out a good way to attach a hinge to the portion of the door inside the cabinet, and I did not want the hinges to show when the door was closed. I considered a piano hinge, but my wife rejected this as ugly. Like many of my projects, I dove in without knowing exactly where I was going.:) I didn't explain this well, maybe the pics will make more sense.230822230824230823

G Douglas Fowler
04-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks - the last photo made it verry clear. I've never used their hinges but certainly have filed away the reference.

Chris Padilla
04-30-2012, 7:08 PM
Nicely done! Did you and your wife design the overall bathroom scheme?

Bruce Page
04-30-2012, 7:30 PM
I love the look! How did you run the power to the charging cabinet outlet without it being visible?

Dave Anthony
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
The design is my wife's. She also picked walnut to go with the tile. I've learned there are ~ 6 zillion types of tile, 99.999% of which are various shades of white, beige, or brown. I actually like this stuff - it's ceramic but looks like stone - a fake but a good one. There's real stone in the trim which matches the tile. I was leery of the vessel sinks but find I like them - it raises the sink to a better height for brushing your teeth, leaves space for a drawer underneath, and they don't obscure the patterns in the granite top. The outlets were easy - the wall is a 2 x 6, so all but ~ 1" of the cabinet is behind the drywall. There's a header added above the cabinets, since the studs needed to be moved for the cabinets, which are just boxes made out of some leftover prefinished maple ply.

Bruce Page
05-01-2012, 1:13 PM
The outlets were easy - the wall is a 2 x 6, so all but ~ 1" of the cabinet is behind the drywall.

That makes sense. The 3rd picture in post#4 is deceiving; the outlet looks like it is outside of the wall.

Dan Hahr
05-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Is that real granite? It looks a lot like the vanity I just did with Formica FX blue storm.
Dan

frank shic
05-04-2012, 5:10 PM
love the bookmatched panels on the doors