PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker drill press table

Alan Lilly
04-27-2012, 9:47 PM
Why did I wait so long to install a drill press table?
Here's a video of the installation and a router jig I made to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrUrqczIyc

Mike Cutler
04-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Alan

Nice install.
I have a similar table that was made by Incra. It makes the drill press much more usable for woodworking application.

PS.
Nice router guide you made. I see a cross application as an edge guide. Hope you don't mind if I sort of borrow your design.

Mike

Alan Lilly
04-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks... of course, take anything you find useful.
I've discovered that whenever you share you ideas, you get back double.

Chris Padilla
04-29-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm quite impressed that you did everything one-handed! ;)

Van Huskey
04-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Cool, thanks for posting!

ian maybury
04-30-2012, 5:04 AM
Thanks Alan. I have the same one too. My one reservation is that the metal fittings (stops, clamps, slots etc) are pretty light duty and need handling carefully to avoid damage and/or slippage.

ian

Bill Huber
04-30-2012, 8:56 AM
I looked at that table and then I found one at Rockler that was damaged and got it cheap and had to make my own table for it. I used the fence and that was about all but I get it cheap enough it was worth it.

Another way to attache it is like the first 2 images, made L bracket type things on the bottom and then used a T nut on each side and a star handled bolt to hold it in place, goes on in a flash and I can pull it off in a flash.

On the inserts I really like using them and have found the drill press and this little tool is really nice. Chuck the tool in the drill press and turn it by hand and with the little tool they go in nice and straight. Even when I have something that I can put on the drill press and use a drill driver they still go in nice and straight. The tools I have are E-Z Lok and work great, they have a spring ball to hold the insert and 2 wings that fit into the slots.

Alan Lilly
04-30-2012, 9:22 AM
That looks slick and definitely faster removal / install of the table.

glenn bradley
04-30-2012, 6:16 PM
Looks great Alan. I too used inserts on mine. It has seen serious duty for several years. Only been off once.

Cary Falk
04-30-2012, 6:40 PM
I made a similar table since the Woodpecker one was a little too tall for my taste. I used a forstner bit to drill a 1" hole and inserted hardwood dowels. I used regular screws into the dowels to hold the table on.

Gary Venable
05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Nice Video. Thanks for posting.

-Gary