PDA

View Full Version : 6" belt sander motor

Keith Westfall
04-27-2012, 5:54 PM
Hoping someone can shed some light on this...

I have a (garage sale find!) 6" PowerSonic belt sander that seems to not have a lot of power and motor tends to run pretty warm. Everything else in the shop seems to be OK so don't think it is a power issue...

Blue and White wire from motor to White (power in)
Black and Red wire from motor to Black (power in)

I can't find a wiring diagram (surprise) but is has the above wiring. When I took the cap off, it was quite warm, and someone previous, had black taped the connectors and the tape was warm enough to be soft.

Anyone have an idea before I head off to the motor shop??

The tag on the saw says it's a 1HP / 7 amp / 110 volt.

Appreciate it.

PS: Sorry about the poor pictures - phone

Keith

ray hampton
04-27-2012, 6:01 PM
did you run the motor without a load on it ? do not run too long without a load

Keith Westfall
04-27-2012, 9:32 PM
Not sure what you mean Ray. I have only run it while sanding, but it does not take very much to bog it down a bit - ie: medium to heavy sanding

ray hampton
04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Not sure what you mean Ray. I have only run it while sanding, but it does not take very much to bog it down a bit - ie: medium to heavy sanding

if a motor bog down while you are sanding then the motor may be too small [horse power wise ] but if the motor are running sluggish when all loads are remove[remove the belt if it are belt driven] then the motor are the suspect

mreza Salav
04-27-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure what kind of belt sander it is but a 1HP motor is very easy to stall on a sander (it doesn't take much to do so). If it gets warm while sanding it could be because of the load.
Try running the motor without any sanding and see if it gets warm again.

John McClanahan
04-27-2012, 11:45 PM
I think a real 1 HP motor draws more than 7 amps, somewhere closer to 11 amps.

Rod Sheridan
04-28-2012, 5:23 PM
I think a real 1 HP motor draws more than 7 amps, somewhere closer to 11 amps.

Bingo.

The 7 ampere motor is probably about 1/2 HP, not very big for a belt sander..........Rod.

P.S. Warm is also subjective, the motor temperature rise may be 40 to 50 degrees, add that to a 20 degree room and you couldn't touch it, although it's fine

Keith Westfall
04-28-2012, 8:19 PM
Thanks everyone. Guess I kind of got what I paid for...