PDA

View Full Version : Another Vase Rough Out

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2012, 5:44 PM
This is the last of my big chunks of Maple that I picked up December ’11. Sure was nice wood to turn!

I started this rough out on Tuesday and finished it today. It is presently soaking in denatured alcohol (DNA).

230704 230705 230706 230707
230708 230709 230710 230711

First photo shows how off center I mounted this chunk of wood. Had to take into consideration that two branches had come together somewhere within the wood as the headstock side had one pith showing and the tailstock side had two! I didn’t want the pith to be showing on top of the vase… so oriented it such that most of it would be turned away while roughing. The really neat thing… there was absolutely NO vibration on the lathe! Sure would not have been able to do that on my Jet 1642 even with the ballast box!! Man – I LOVE this lathe!! :D

Almost forgot... the vase is 14 1/2" high x 13 1/2" diameter x 3/4" thick.

Just wanted to share what I have been turning this week. As always, your comments, opinions or suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!!

Roger Chandler
04-27-2012, 6:13 PM
Great form again! I really like this shape.........it lends itself to large turnings. I am liking more and more what I hear about that AB lathe as well............my sights are on one of these in time! I also like that Chuck plate from Jerry..........I am going to have to make one of those myself........looks like it just makes putting a tenon on about as easy as it gets..........looks like even with an off center piece, there was no problem holding that with his chuck plate.

Thanks for the pics Steve!

Ted Evans
04-27-2012, 6:19 PM
Hi Steve, thanks for providing all of the pictures, I really enjoy them. I love the form on the vase and I am anxious to see it finished. If I may ask, how do you treat the pith in the bottom in order to diminish the problem with splitting? If you ever decide to upgrade *that* lathe, let me know as I know where I can get a like new HF one and would be willing to an even up trade.

Ed Morgano
04-27-2012, 6:38 PM
Steve,
You're such a show off! WOW, that is going to be pretty when you get done. Please ignore what Ted said. If you want to upgrade, I have a wooden lathe that I'd be willing to trade even.....:D

Russell Eaton
04-27-2012, 7:08 PM
You definitely have enough lathe for it. Look forward to seeing this finished.

charlie knighton
04-27-2012, 8:23 PM
big piece, great form as usual, thanks for sharing Steve

Nate Davey
04-27-2012, 8:29 PM
You're definitely getting your moneys worth out of that lathe John. Can't wait to see this finished.

Jamie Donaldson
04-27-2012, 8:41 PM
Steve, you really need to buy a larger chuck for pieces like this. There isn't much grip with the jaw slides extended that far out of the body. And about that lathe, it doesn't have a mark on it yet, so haven't you been using it? ;)

Jim Burr
04-27-2012, 9:34 PM
Steve...I'm wondering about a smaller opening. Logistics...planning, or just what you wanted. I have platters spinning of the same size so I understand. This is looking like an Egyptian style with the wide mouth? You could do this on a 1642:D...just go slower!!! or not...:confused::mad: What do you think about some dye...red and black maybe...Hmmmm?

Bill Wyko
04-27-2012, 9:39 PM
I love seeing big swing turnings. Your form is probably my favorite form to make. You're on the way to an exquisite vessel Steve. Gotta love having a 1/2 ton lathe to smooth out the ride.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-27-2012, 9:39 PM
Steve,
A new lathe doesn't usually change a person's image but this one has changed yours. I no longer think of you as a turner of 8" southwestern style hollow forms. You am beginning to identify you with big heavy end grain vases. You really are testing the limits of the Beauty and changing your turning persona at the same time. Very cool. It is a pleasure to see you enjoy your new capabilities.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2012, 9:54 PM
Steve that is going to be a gorgeous piece when finished. You need to get a Vic VM 120 chuck to hold them big'uns.:D

John Keeton
04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Steve, very sweet curves on the shoulder area of this one!! One of my favorites of the "BIG series." I am normally in favor of color, but with the neat coloration in the "stripes" I might be more inclined for a natural look with this one - or, perhaps some type of an accent band??

Alan Trout
04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Steve,

That is still not big enough. It was not dragging on the banjo. :) Nice Work.

Alan

Rick Markham
04-28-2012, 2:35 AM
Truly awesome! It looks exciting spinning! I agree it has wonderful coloration and an awesome pattern. I can't wait to see the finished piece!

Eric Holmquist
04-28-2012, 6:03 AM
Beautiful form, and looks like it was exciting to make!

I like the simple two wheel support system you have for large turnings

Michelle Rich
04-28-2012, 6:58 AM
interesting 2 wheel support..don't think I've seen one like it..this new lathe sure has opened new dimensions for you...& great stuff for us all to drool over...have fun!

Doug Reesor
04-28-2012, 7:09 AM
Very impressive vessel and set-up. I was wondering who you managed to turn such a big bowl without any evidence of chips? My shop always has a colossal pile that I get to after the project is over and it definitely doesn't have any carpeting on the floor. I am always impressed with you folks who can keep their shops so spotless.

Doug

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-28-2012, 7:33 AM
Doug,
That's Steve's best kept secret. But I believe he "sweeps them under then rug"

Jerry Marcantel
04-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Great form again! I really like this shape.........it lends itself to large turnings. I am liking more and more what I hear about that AB lathe as well............my sights are on one of these in time! I also like that Chuck plate from Jerry..........I am going to have to make one of those myself........looks like it just makes putting a tenon on about as easy as it gets..........looks like even with an off center piece, there was no problem holding that with his chuck plate.

Thanks for the pics Steve!

Roger, I'm surprized you haven't already made one by now. They are so easy to make. Two bits of design change. When you do make one for yourself, use all Baltic plywood including the tenon. Make the tenon almost as deep as the jaws, and change the screws to Tap Con screws. Those are the blue screws used for screwing into concrete. They are either #12 or14, harder, have long points, and come in the lengths needed....

Steve, that's a good looking piece of wood. Any idea how much it weighed before you took a tool to it? I was on the 5th pic when I realized I wasn't paying any attention to detail, but went back and did notice you were using the Chuck plate on picture 3 and can barely see it in pics 4 & 5. As usual, it's going to be a great looking form when done.

I start my around the country trip Tuesday, so won't be around SMC for a whole month. Gonna miss Steve's completed piece, so I guess I'll need to wade through a bunch of posts until I find it when I get back... Jerry (in Tucson)

George Morris
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Steve very well done! Nice pc. I love the Robust!

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Great start Steve. I knew you'd love that lathe. :) As you know I have turned quite a few 300 up to almost 500 lb logs on a Robust:eek:. Almost always off balanced and the lathe handles them like a dream with out any vibration as you said.
How's that last large maple piece coming along ? Hopefully it's drying without cracking on you. I'd still like to see you thin down your rough outs a bit though.

Kathy Marshall
04-29-2012, 1:39 AM
Looks great so far Steve! If you keep turning big'uns like that, you're going to run out of room to store them!

Roland Martin
04-29-2012, 8:14 AM
Very nice, Steve. Looking forward to the end result, such an impressive lathe!

Jon Nuckles
04-29-2012, 6:47 PM
Nice and BIG; can't wait to see it finished. How long does it take to hollow something that large? Does it go faster with the captured rig than with the articulated (understanding that it would be tough to go that deep with an articulated system)?

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 8:05 PM
Steve,
The form is wonderful. please make sure you post the finished vase on this one and the other one too. Nice going.

Bill Wyko
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
There's another 10+ inches of swing on that bad boy, don't let it go to waste.:D

Steve Schlumpf
04-30-2012, 1:36 PM
Jon - I use the captured system for just about 90% of my turnings - especially the larger forms! As far as how long it took to hollow - I find it hard to stand at the lathe for more than a couple of hours at a time anymore - so over the course of 3 days, I would say it took me around 8 hours. Also, I should mention that I turn these larger forms at a fairly slow speed and I am in no rush while turning!

Bill - one of these days I will throw something on the lathe that will take a little effort to turn. Meanwhile - it sure is fun to play with these smaller chunks of wood!

steven carter
04-30-2012, 2:52 PM
Looking good Steve! You must be tired from hauling all those shavings up the stairs. Looking forward to the completions in your "large" series.

robert baccus
05-01-2012, 2:04 AM
Really nice piece Steve, and SW shapes do come in big mouth sizes also. the big ones are usually called "oola" for storage. if you get tired of wasteing bottom wood don't be afraid to glueblock/faceplate/CA glue to mount green wood. i commonly mount this way up to 110#+. use a non-cracking stout wood( 1.5"+ and blue screws) and get everything flat. Also the glue on the bottom seems to stop cracking in the endgrain bottom. i have more around the lip and wax only the outside on vases. Seems to pull the wood together and dries quite fast. just rambling.------------------------Old Forester