PDA

View Full Version : Derby Day Celebration Exhibit - with pics!

John Keeton
04-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Each year, the Governor, in conjunction with various state agencies, hosts the Governor's Derby Celebration (http://governor.ky.gov/derbycelebration/Pages/default.aspx) in Frankfort. From there, the Governor traditionally takes a train to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby, which always occurs on the first Saturday in May. Needless to say, in Kentucky, the Derby is a big deal!

The festivities include "the crowd-pleasing tradition of having Kentucky craftsmen exhibiting and selling their work." As a juried member of the KY Arts Council, I had the opportunity to submit my work for possible inclusion in the limited art exhibit. I was fortunate to be chosen as one of about a dozen artists to exhibit that morning. This is the press release on the event.

It is a relatively short exhibit of only a few hours. However, the visibility will be huge as the events are open to the public and traditionally draw thousands of folks to the grounds of the Old Capitol in downtown Frankfort. While I will have some of my work for sale, I more excited about the honor of being included!

As a prelude to the event, this past Tuesday, First Lady Jane Beshear hosted a reception in the rotunda of the Capitol building for exhibiting artists, including those three dimensional artists that presently have an exhibit on display in the Capitol. The Governor and the First Lady own a farm and residence in Clark County, my home county. During his days of practicing law, then attorney Steve Beshear frequently appeared in the courts in Clark County where I practice, and Ms. Beshear and I shared some conversation after the reception about "the good ol' days."
The First Lady is on the left and Marcheta Sparrow, Secretary of Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage is in the middle. I do clean up my attire every now and then! Normally, it would be blue jeans and a Henley shirt.;)

Just wanted to share my experience with the creek! I hope to get some pics of the exhibit the morning of May 5.

Robert Henrickson
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Congratulations! Huge visibility indeed.

Scott Hackler
04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Congrats John. That is a super cool deal.

Harvey Ghesser
04-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Congratulations John! An honor, indeed!

Jim Underwood
04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Congratulations John! I can only imagine how excited you are about this...

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Great photo!!! Looking forward to hearing how the exhibit goes for you! Never know what doors may open as a result! Best of luck!!

Jon Nuckles
04-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Congratulations! Does putting on a suit constitute suffering for your art?

Roger Chandler
04-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Very special venue you have been chosen to participate in.............congratulations on all the trappings of this endeavor.......looks as if doors are opening for you my friend, and looks like that gracious demeanor is showing through as you speak with the first lady of Kentucky.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Bill Hensley
04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Congrats John, you deserve the recognition.

Ken Glass
04-27-2012, 1:07 PM
John,
What an honor to be included and accepted. An honor well deserved too, I might add. What a catalyst for visibility also. Way too go...

Chris Studley
04-27-2012, 1:27 PM
Congrats and good luck...

A well deserved honor.

Rick Markham
04-27-2012, 1:45 PM
Awesome news John! Congratulations! What a great opportunity, great photo as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2012, 1:54 PM
What an absolutely deserved honor John! Great photo too!

From table legs to turned art recognized within the great State of Kentucky and nationally I might add! "You have come a long way Pilgrim...".....in a very short time.

Mike Golka
04-27-2012, 1:58 PM
Congratulations, a well deserved honor.

Eric Gourieux
04-27-2012, 2:01 PM
What an honor, John. Congrats!

Robert McGowen
04-27-2012, 2:06 PM
That is very nice, John!

Sid Matheny
04-27-2012, 2:22 PM
Well deserved John.

Sid

charlie knighton
04-27-2012, 2:39 PM
congratulations, you seem to have a smile, enjoy

Tim Rinehart
04-27-2012, 4:06 PM
Cool honor John! I'm sure the Derby crowd will enjoy seeing some true Kentucky gentleman's work! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Alan Trout
04-27-2012, 4:20 PM
John,

Cool deal, congratulations.

Alan

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-27-2012, 4:57 PM
Congrat's John. Sounds like you'll get some great exposure. Enjoy the moment.

Greg Just
04-27-2012, 5:34 PM
Congratulations John. A great achievement and well deserved

Ed Morgano
04-27-2012, 6:45 PM
Congratulations John. Hope you will still have time to talk to us lowly ones.

Russell Eaton
04-27-2012, 7:05 PM
Congratulations John. Looks like you are getting some well deserved recognition.

David DeCristoforo
04-27-2012, 7:58 PM
OK... now we know who the two ladies are.... So who's the hippie?

Pete Jordan
04-27-2012, 8:19 PM
Way to go, John! That is a great honor!

Jamie Donaldson
04-27-2012, 8:23 PM
That John "cleans up good" as we say in the horse business! He's always been a smooth talker, and even remembered how to tie a necktie! Good job sir!

Nate Davey
04-27-2012, 8:28 PM
Congratulations John. What a well deserved honor.

John Keeton
04-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks, guys! I fear I am playing out of my league, but it should be fun talking to all the passersby. Hope to update the thread with some pics of the event.

Harry Robinette
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Congrats John, Your turning is always outstanding and well worth this showing. But I can't believe you tied your own tie.

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Congrats John on a well deserved honor.

Bob Bergstrom
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Congratulations John. That is quite an honor. You work is worth the honor and is a joy to see here on the creek. Don't forget to place a two dollar bet, or maybe more if someone buys a piece.

Kevin Lucas
04-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Congrats John. I had to re-read the post. All I saw the first time was churchill downs and not Frankfort, I was thinking I could sneak away from parking cars for Derby to see turnings (

Kathy Marshall
04-29-2012, 1:07 AM
Congrats John!

Ted Evans
04-29-2012, 8:32 AM
Well deserved. I do not know why but it is easier for me to picture you in jeans, with a guitar and in a CW band than in a court room.

Steve Busey
04-29-2012, 2:12 PM
Having now seen the Keeton Gallery in person, I can attest this showing is a just reward! Congrats!

Billy Tallant
04-29-2012, 6:36 PM
Congratulations & well deserved recognition!

John Keeton
04-29-2012, 7:36 PM
Thanks, all, for the follow up comments!
I do not know why but it is easier for me to picture you in jeans, with a guitar and in a CW band than in a court room.:D:D Me, too, Ted!! Actually, the jeans and guitar was an accurate image, but about 45 years ago, and it was Rock, not CW!

Ken Glass
04-29-2012, 8:47 PM
John Keeton the "Rock God", oh yea I see it clearly......

Ted Evans
04-29-2012, 9:41 PM
Thanks, all, for the follow up comments!:D:D Me, too, Ted!! Actually, the jeans and guitar was an accurate image, but about 45 years ago, and it was Rock, not CW!

Rock???????? Oh well, even the great artist and wood turner JK cannot be perfect in every endeavor, eh? You seemed to fit so well with Dolly.

Baxter Smith
04-29-2012, 9:48 PM
Congrats John! It almost sounds like you've hit the big time!:cool::) Neat picture and links!

steven carter
04-30-2012, 2:58 PM
Congratulations to the governor and first lady of KY. Years from now they will be able to tell people they once met John Keeton!

John Keeton
04-30-2012, 7:19 PM
It's gettin' pretty deep now!!!:rolleyes:;)

J. Greg Jones
05-01-2012, 7:23 AM
Congratulations John on the recognition! Very cool indeed. :cool:

John Keeton
05-01-2012, 7:37 AM
Hey, Greg - good to hear from you!! Where have you been hiding?

J. Greg Jones
05-01-2012, 9:59 AM
Still here in Berea, doing pretty much the same things. I am serving on the Board of Directors of the Berea Arts Council now, which has been a very interesting and rewarding experience. Oh, and for the not-so-fun stuff, I was diagnosed with throat cancer late last year so I have been battling that for the last 5 months now. The treatments nearly killed me, but I am recovering well and the prognosis is good.

It's good to see Richard Adams on the exhibiting artist list also. I met Richard and his wife through a Berea Tourism/Festival of Learnshops event last year and I am quite impressed by that young man. I hope he continues to have success with his turning.

John Beaver
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Hey John, Sorry I'm late to this party.

I read this comment by you..."I fear I am playing out of my league, but it should be fun talking to all the passersby"

Being chosen justifies your being there. The quality of your work is outstanding. Your standards are very high, but the public will only see what is in front of them and they will be impressed. Go with confidence and be proud. Today Kentucky, tomorrow the world.

John Keeton
05-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Greg, I met Richard and his wife while at the KY Crafted Market - very nice folks and a talented turner, too!

John, thanks for the encouragement! I am looking forward to the event and view it as a learning experience. I have been to a couple of exhibit receptions, but no outdoor events, and nothing with this large of an anticipated crowd. I doubt many will be interested in purchasing, but one never really knows the full impact of exposure to one's work. As far as "tomorrow, the world", well, I am afraid that would be a real stretch!:)

John Keeton
05-05-2012, 4:21 PM
With Ms. Keeton's help, we were able to take a few pics of the event this morning. It rained all night here, and was raining as we left at 7am. Frankfort is about an hour's drive and by the time we got there, the rain had cleared and they apparently had not had as much rain as we had. There wasn't the mud I expected and the KY Arts Council had worked hard to have everything ready.

Lots and lots of folks came through. The exhibit was open 9am - 1pm, and while I made no sales, I had dozens of people comment on my work, with many of them staying several minutes to talk. I did not push my cards, but there were probably 20 people that took cards after stopping to talk. It is always interesting to watch how non-turners react to these pieces and which ones they find the most attractive. Of the few exhibits I have done, the Pitcher O' Burl always is the main attraction. The new Gilded Urn got a lot of attention, as well, and the blue dyed pieces were popular with the women.

We enjoyed the event, but I affirmed why I intend to stick to the gallery idea vs. art/craft fairs! There was no booth rental involved, and no commission, as this was an Arts Council juried exhibit. But, had I paid $3-400 for space, and not made any sales, I would not have enjoyed the event nearly as much!;)

This is my exhibit, with my lovely bride not wanting to be in the pic!

This is one of the earlier pics before the crowd picked up.

This is the view from just in front of the tent.

And, this is the view from up the street with the exhibit tent on the left. There were several different activities further to the left, across the street, etc., and we had a couple of dinner trains come through with all the Derby goers and the ladies in their Derby hats - LOTS of those around!

All in all - a neat day!

Bill Wyko
05-05-2012, 5:07 PM
Congratulations John. The humidor I just finished is suppose to be there for a group of cigar smokers as well. I hope to have pictures when he gets back. BTW I have to wonder if anyone there is in your league.

Roger Chandler
05-05-2012, 6:47 PM
Nice display John.........were you the only turner whose works were on display at the event? It would be interesting to have gotten a "feel" for the nature of the event by being there personally, but your perceptions are all we have to go on. With the Derby having such a prominence as a historical and nationally recognized venue..........I would think that many of its patrons are both in the position to acquire art pieces and have an appreciation for them as well.

Of course the economy is still in the doldrums, so one never can gauge these things in advance, I suppose.

James Combs
05-05-2012, 6:57 PM
Way to go John, no telling the impact on your future.

John Keeton
05-05-2012, 7:04 PM
Bill, that humidor is a striking piece of work, and I wish I could see it in person. But, the event in Frankfort is about as close as I really want to be to Churchill Downs on Derby Day!!

Nice display John.........were you the only turner whose works were on display at the event? .......I would think that many of its patrons are both in the position to acquire art pieces and have an appreciation for them as well.Roger, there was another turner, but his work, while very good, was more functional. The crowd in Frankfort are not necessarily, nor are they probably, Derby patrons. It was a diverse group - some with obvious ability to buy - others not. But, the whole atmosphere of the event was more of a downtown celebration vs. a buying event. The Arts Council wanted to showcase KY Crafted artisans, for folks from out of state, and there were several of those that came by.

Way to go John, no telling the impact on your future.JD, that statement could go either way!!;):D

James Combs
05-05-2012, 7:07 PM
JD, that statement could go either way!!;):D

Exactly, you never know.;):cool: