PDA

View Full Version : Disston D 8?

Jacob Nothstine
04-27-2012, 10:32 AM
230680230679Hit a estate sale Thursday and pick up a few things.

2 Warranted backsaws in great condition.

A nice Fulton Brace Drill with a few drill bits.

A Disston D 8 I think. I can almost make out the number. It's a cross cut 7TPI, brass screws, handle has been painted red? But it's nice and straight and was only $2.00 Do you think it's an 8?

steven c newman
04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
230682My Disston D-8. Handles look the same. is yours a skew back type??? Mine has a stamp right under the handle, an "11". that is the Points Per Inch count. Yep mine is a crosscut.

Jacob Nothstine
04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes, skew back
Yes, Has a 7 under the handle for TPI.
I looked on the Disston web page and it matches the other photo.
I know the D-12 have a X under the handle was not sure if the 8 had any special marks.

steven c newman
04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
I didn't find any on mine. Mine does say Disston USA around the keystone. It is brass as well. Some older ones had the "8" inside the "D". mine just says D-8 in the etch.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
One of the distinctions of the D-8 is the handle. Where the blade comes into the handle there isn't any metal visible at the top of the handle, i.e. the blade is hidden by the wood.

Most other handles show a line of metal at the top where the blade is let in.

I do not remember who posted that information here one time, but the name David Weaver pops into my mind.

jtk

Jacob Nothstine
04-28-2012, 2:53 PM
I check my handle and
isn't any metal visible at the top of the handle so it must be a D 8 maybe a later year one.

Larry McGarrah
04-28-2012, 6:09 PM
It could also be a Keystone saw made by Disston.

Jacob Nothstine
04-28-2012, 9:21 PM
It's funny you should say Keystone, I went back to the sale for another look and found on the side of the work bench covered in junk a Keystone Air Master in mint condition, still has 75% of the stamp on it. Spent another $2.00. On the D 8 I can see the scale and D eching and some writing on the right side of that so I don't think its a Keystone model.

Chris Vandiver
04-29-2012, 1:05 AM
It sure looks like a D8 to me. The style handle on your saw is called a covertop handle. The name says it all. Go to this website http://home.grics.net/~weir/saw_restoration.html and if you follow the directions for refinishing the saw plate exactly, you will probably be able to bring some of the etch up to the surface. From the looks of your medallion( "PHILADA")the D in the etch will have the number 8 inside of it. Looks to me like your saw is in the 1896-1917 vintage. The "Golden Age".