PDA

View Full Version : H.N.T. Gordon or Primus Reform Smoothing Plane?

Dan Forman
03-30-2005, 5:34 AM
I am considering either the HNT Gordon smoothing plane, or the Primus Reform smooth plane. This would be mostly for working with figured stock, mostly maples. I have no experience with hand planes, so am coming to this with no preformed habits.

I understand that the Gordon can be either pulled or pushed, how is the Primus usually used?

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about these two planes which might help me make up my mind?

I am thinking about going with a with a wooden plane, because after looking about here, I have seen more who have gone over from iron to wood than the other way around.

Dan

Derek Cohen
03-30-2005, 8:42 AM
Dan

If you plan to work with figured timber, then the HNT Gordon planes rule supreme (although you might also want to consider the LV LA Smoother used witha 64 degree cutting angle). You may have read that the Gordons were developed with tough Aussie timber in mind. They are superb planes, and I would recommend three: the Large Smoother, the Mini Smoother, and the Try Plane.

I have no experience with the Primus Reform planes - I am sure that Pam will chip in here (she has the advantage of also knowing the HNT Gordon planes) - but I believe that they have a standard cutting angle (45 degrees), perhaps a York pitch (50 degrees) and, if so, will not be as suited for figured grain as the HNT Gordon planes (60 degree cutting angle).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Singer
03-30-2005, 8:50 AM
The Primus reform Smoother is a york pitch...a very fine plane. The comments back to John Miliunas who sold his was it was "outperforming his LN smoother"...I know the Gordon are excellent as well and have the 60 degree angle

Tim Sproul
03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I'd also investigate Steve Knight's offerings.

A 50 degree plane of his will hand figured maple without ado.

Mark Blumer
03-30-2005, 10:38 AM
I have owned a Gordon smoother for a couple of years. Although I have nearly a full set of LN planes (including a York pitch smoother), when I am dealing with really gnarly woods I always reach for my HNT Gordon. I have been able to achieve a mirror finish from the plane on such woods as curly cherry, birdseye maple and quilted Bubinga. None of my other planes could control those woods. I also love the blade on my Gordon. It is so thick and heavy that it is essentially self jigging when I sharpen it. Although I haven't used this feature much, it also has an interesting option: when you reverse the blade the angle of attack becomes 90* and it functions as a scraper.

I don't use the plane for everything because with the extremely high pitch it is a harder push and on a very large piece of wood it can be tiring.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI....go MSU, men and women both in Final 4!)

Mark Singer
03-30-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree...Steve's plane are terrific!
I'd also investigate Steve Knight's offerings.

A 50 degree plane of his will hand figured maple without ado.

Roy Wall
03-30-2005, 2:23 PM
I have owned a Gordon smoother for a couple of years. Although I have nearly a full set of LN planes (including a York pitch smoother), when I am dealing with really gnarly woods I always reach for my HNT Gordon. I have been able to achieve a mirror finish from the plane on such woods as curly cherry, birdseye maple and quilted Bubinga. None of my other planes could control those woods. I also love the blade on my Gordon. It is so thick and heavy that it is essentially self jigging when I sharpen it. Although I haven't used this feature much, it also has an interesting option: when you reverse the blade the angle of attack becomes 90* and it functions as a scraper.

I don't use the plane for everything because with the extremely high pitch it is a harder push and on a very large piece of wood it can be tiring.

Mark.......what is the pitch of the blade angle....55, 60 degrees...

sounds like a great plane!!!

Pam Niedermayer
03-30-2005, 6:01 PM
Both are great planes. I only had the opportunity to use the Primus Reform for one night, but it did a great job on the cherry panel. Same is true for the HNT's, wonderful planes that I do own (smoother, jack, try, palm smoother, and 3/4" shoulder). Their only weak point is that you need to keep the blades super sharp to avoid getting clogs; but this is pretty easy to do. You don't need to worry about until/unless you actually get a clog.

I also love the reverse the blade feature, use the palm smoother as a Japanese plane sole conditioner/scraper. Note that if you do this a lot, you'll dull the blade for normal duty, so it's not a bad idea to get an extra blade.

Pam

Mark Blumer
03-30-2005, 6:39 PM
Mark.......what is the pitch of the blade angle....55, 60 degrees...

sounds like a great plane!!!

Roy,

The pitch of the blade is 60*. The plane is incredibly simple...it has a body, a very heavy blade (nearly 1/4" thick) and a blade wedge. It also has a removable cross-bar handle that I use about one half the time.

Mark

Bruce Branson
03-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Lee Valley has a Hong Kong style high angle smoother at 60 deg that tested near the top against many high quality smoothers like H.N.T. Gordon and Steve Knight.Its Rosewood and goes for only 42.50.

Bob Marino
03-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Not familiar with the Primus, but agree with Mark on the HNT. I guess I should - he recommended it to me ;) :D :)

Bob

Greg Hairston
03-30-2005, 11:16 PM
I purchased the Primus from John M. It is an excellent plane and as Mark said it is outperforming my LN 4.5. I have spent the past few hours going between the two smoothing my new bench top and it is a pleasure to work with. I am no expert at using hand tools but I will say that I am enjoying the neander thing.

Greg

Mark Singer
03-30-2005, 11:38 PM
Congradulations! It is a terrific plane! It will take light shavings and is effortless to use.
I purchased the Primus from John M. It is an excellent plane and as Mark said it is outperforming my LN 4.5. I have spent the past few hours going between the two smoothing my new bench top and it is a pleasure to work with. I am no expert at using hand tools but I will say that I am enjoying the neander thing.

Greg

Dan Forman
03-31-2005, 2:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the input, still would like to know if the Primus is pushed, pulled, or either.

Dan

Dan Forman
03-31-2005, 2:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the input, still would like to know if the Primus is pushed, pulled, or either.

Bruce---Who did the ratings and where can they be found?

Dan

Mark Singer
03-31-2005, 8:58 AM
Dan,

The Primus is a German plane and is pushed in the normal manner