PDA

View Full Version : Newest Acquisitions

Stew Hagerty
04-26-2012, 6:50 PM
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up some new planes and just had to do a small gloat if only because I'm so darn happy with them.

Here they are all arranged around some .002 shavings

This is my brand new Primus Improved Smoother.
I was curious when I ordered it how I would like the feel of it's European design.
But I have to say, it actually feels so natural that I'm suprised more planes aren't made this way today still.
Oh, and after a quick honing, I used it to produce those .002 shavings

Now this... This is a mid 19th century Low-Angle Chariot plane by Mathieson & Sons.
It is heavy, fits nice in the hand, and produces (after a blade tune-up) very nice endgrain and crossgrain cuts.

One more Photo

MY first Lee Valley plane. This is their Veritas Low-Angle Block plane with the optional tote & knob.
I love the way it works and feels. It cuts so sweet and easy. It's about the size of a #2, but with handles you can actually get your hands around.
I also purchased some accessories, including the 50 degree blade, the 38 degree toothing blades, and the chamfer guide.
It's like a whole system unto itself.

And this little baby is awsome. It's obviously a bullnose infill rabbet plane, and I believe it is from sometime mid 19th century like the Mathieson except this one is a Preston.
It just feels like it's supposed to be in your hand, and it works just perfectly for small tasks.

I purchased the Primus and the Vertas new, but the others I found and acquired at a very good price.

I also bought an ECE jointer (wedge style not a Primus) from a different vendor, but it has not yet arrived.

Now I'm anxious to put them all to work on a real project instead of tuning & testing them out.

Peter Pedisich
04-26-2012, 6:58 PM
Stew,

Very nice stuff. The ECE Primus 711 is a fantastic plane. You are right, it feels so natural, very balanced way to move it.

Pete

Stew Hagerty
04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Stew,

Very nice stuff. The ECE Primus 711 is a fantastic plane. You are right, it feels so natural, very balanced way to move it.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I have a fair sized collection of vintage tools, including Stanley Bailey #'s 3 through 8 (multiples of several), and close to 75 various Woodies & Transitionals. Now, in fairness, I do not yet own either a LN or LV Smoother but I have used them, and I have to say that so far I think I like this better than any of them. I'd love to compare them to a a Spiers or Norris, but they are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Now this... This is a mid 19th century Low-Angle Chariot plane by Mathieson & Sons.
It is heavy, fits nice in the hand, and produces (after a blade tune-up) very nice endgrain and crossgrain cuts.

That looks like an early miter plane.

Nice group of tools. I'd be gloating too!

jtk

Jim Neeley
04-27-2012, 4:14 PM
Awesome acquisition.. and worthy of a gloat!! :)