PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on Ceramic tile

Ernie Balch
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I tried engraving some tiles from Lowes. They worked better than expected and only cost about 15 cents each.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n564/clancy60/Tilelaserdog.jpg
The left one was engraved at 40% power, 325 mm/sec speed and 0.065 mm scan gap.
The one on the right was engraved twice at 14% power yielding a light gray image each time, So I then wiped it with black acrylic paint for a dark image. I assume the slight loss in resolution is caused by engraving it twice.

ernie

Steve Clarkson
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Ernie, try buying a black tile and painting it white.......then engrave off the paint.....it's ALOT faster!!!

Jeff Belany
04-26-2012, 3:03 PM
How well does the paint stick to the ceramic? My guess not real well. OK for a decorative piece on a wall but not as good for a piece that is handled. Just curious.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Ernie Balch
04-26-2012, 3:08 PM
The paint is recessed so I think it will be ok. I tried a tan colored tile and it didn't change color after engraving so I wiped some black acrylic paint across it and rubbed off the rest. A little while later I tried to remove it with mineral spirits but it would not come off.

ernie

Everett White
04-27-2012, 1:40 PM
I use a permanent marker and clean up with water about 5 seconds after applying it.

Amy Shelton
04-28-2012, 8:37 AM
Do you know if the permanent marker or any of the paints would stand up to installation in a shower?