PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for new router for router table

Michael Koons
04-25-2012, 1:55 PM
I've researched the site and some similar threads but not one specific enough for what I'm looking for.

Like many, I'm looking at a new router for my router table. I will be dedicating this router to the table and using my old PC router for free-hand work. I will be buying a lift as well because I hated the bit changing process and the fact that setting accurate depths was a MAJOR pain and source for many of my inaccuracies.

The table is homemade and I'm looking at the JessEM Rout-r-Lift II as the lift. I'm guessing I need as big a motor as possible without breaking the bank, maybe somewhere in the 15 amp/3 hp range. I'm also thinking a fixed base router is my best bet.

Any suggestions from the group on what may be best for my needs? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Jeff Monson
04-25-2012, 2:02 PM
Michael, I dont have any experience with the Jessem lift as I own a bench dog lift...but I can attest for the tried and true PC7518 router. If you are looking at using it strictly in a table, then buy it as the motor only.

trevor adair
04-25-2012, 2:05 PM
I have the Kreg table and lift.. They work very well for me. I have not tried the JessEM so I can't give an opinion but whatever you choose I would give the Kreg a look. I added the Rockler "Dust Bucket" collection under the lift as well and am very happy with that.

As for the router Woodcraft (as well as others I am sure) sell the PC 7518 3 1/4 "motor only" for installation in the lift.

Alan Lightstone
04-25-2012, 2:12 PM
I have the PC7518 also. I bought the motor only from Woodpeckers. I don't have the Jessem lift, I have the Woodpeckers, but the router is a beast.

Bill Huber
04-25-2012, 2:16 PM
If you are getting the Jessem lift then all you need is the router motor, you can get a PC 7518 3 1/4 for under $300. Now if you are going to get that large of a router you may want to look at the Master R Lift, it has an aluminum plate and is made for the larger routers.

I have the Master R Lift and a Bosch 1617 and it has done fine for my needs, raise panels and the like. You can get just the motor only for around $160. I got the Mater R because I thought I was going to get a larger motor but just have never done it.

Michael Koons
04-25-2012, 6:14 PM
Ammending my question based on the feedback above as well as reading on my options.

It looks like going the "router motor/lift" route will cost about $600. I've been reading about table mounted routers like the Triton TRA001 and Milwaukee 6525, both ~3hp which have built in height adjusters and mount directly on the table. It looks like I can get both for under $300. Wondering why I wouldn't just go this route.

Thoughts?

Philip Spencer
04-25-2012, 8:25 PM
Amazon is unloading the Freud FT3000VCE 3-1/4 hp router for $349. I don't believe Freud makes them any more but they were and are well regarded.

Bill Huber
04-25-2012, 9:00 PM
Ammending my question based on the feedback above as well as reading on my options.

It looks like going the "router motor/lift" route will cost about $600. I've been reading about table mounted routers like the Triton TRA001 and Milwaukee 6525, both ~3hp which have built in height adjusters and mount directly on the table. It looks like I can get both for under $300. Wondering why I wouldn't just go this route.

Thoughts?

I really should not even say anything and I have not seen some of the above table adjuster on the new routers. But I really don't see how a router with above table adjustments can be as good as a good lift. A good lift is so smooth and accurate compared to any of the above table adjustable routers I have seen.

I guess it is all in what you want and what you need, I thought I needed a larger router and then I did some rail and stiles and found that my little 1617 did a great job. Now I am still just a hobby woodwork and that makes a lot of difference, if I was making 5 cabinet doors a day then I am sure I would want something bigger and better like a shaper.

Mike Goetzke
04-25-2012, 9:07 PM
I have the Milwaukee 5625-20 with a WP PRL-V2 & Sidewinder and couldn't be happier.

Mike

Bruce Wrenn
04-25-2012, 9:49 PM
Use a plunge router and a "Festool Lift." Check out Holzwerken.net/videos for router table details and "Festool Lift." It's a lot cheaper than you think. Don't bother with the sound, unless you speak German.

Doug Colombo
04-25-2012, 9:51 PM
Like Bill, I have the Bosch 1617, but I have a Woodpeckers PRL lift. I have been very pleased with the setup and have not had any issues or ever felt that I needed more power, even when I made some raised panel doors. Not sure what your budget is, but for around $420, you can get a Woodpeckers sidewinder lift and a Bosch 1617.

Dave Anthony
04-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I have the Bosh 1617 and a Jessem RoutR lift FX in a homemade table, and a Triton in a BenchDog cast iron extension wing on the tablesaw. I'm happy with both, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Triton. Above the table height adjustment is better with the lift, bit changes are better with the Triton. I wind up using the Triton for most table work.

Van Huskey
04-26-2012, 12:20 AM
My favorite "no lift" router for a table is the big Triton. It isn't without faults and not as good as a big PC 7518 or Milwaukee 5625 in a good lift but it pretty good.

Rich Engelhardt
04-26-2012, 5:47 AM
I really should not even say anything and I have not seen some of the above table adjuster on the new routers. But I really don't see how a router with above table adjustments can be as good as a good lift.
My Freud 1700 has above table bit changes and above table adjustments.
The smaller Ryobi router/table combination I use on job sites doesn't have either.

I've become so spoiled by the above table Im loathe to use the Ryobi any more for anything unless I really have to.
There's a night and day difference between using the two.
The best part about the above table features of the Freud is that they came free with (what I consider) a pretty good 14 amp router.

I've never used a lift so I can't comment on how much better a lift is vs an above table adjustable router.
I'm not real sure the difference between the two is significant enough to justify the additional money.
I'd rather put that money into better bits.
YMMV - according to wants/needs and budget.

Larry Browning
04-26-2012, 7:27 AM

Thoughts?
I recently went through the same process. I decided on the Triton TRA001. I have only used it a few times, but so far I really like the setup. It has a kinda weird process for changing the bit that is designed for safety and if you were not familiar with it would be difficult to figure out. But it is just a simple training issue and once you know what to do it is simple and easy. If you do get the Triton, don't forget that you still need to get a really good mounting plate such as the Woodpecker. These will set you back another $100, so the total cost will be around $400. Also, there is lots of information and reviews on any of these routers, just google it.

Jim Rimmer
04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I recently went through the same process. I decided on the Triton TRA001. I have only used it a few times, but so far I really like the setup. It has a kinda weird process for changing the bit that is designed for safety and if you were not familiar with it would be difficult to figure out. But it is just a simple training issue and once you know what to do it is simple and easy. If you do get the Triton, don't forget that you still need to get a really good mounting plate such as the Woodpecker. These will set you back another $100, so the total cost will be around $400. Also, there is lots of information and reviews on any of these routers, just google it.

I can't remember my model number but I have Triton and I like it. I haven't used a lift but the Triton is such an improvement for me I'm happy. I couldn't see going several hundred dollars for a lift plus the cost of router for a hobbyist shop. I got my Triton before Christmas when Woodcraft had them on sale for $199; normally price around $270.

John Coloccia
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
The big Triton is about as good as you'll get without doing something like a real lift and a 7518 motor. I've had mine for years, use it all the time and like it. It has a couple of quirks but nothing too terrible. The biggest complaint I hear is about the interlock on the power switch. If the switch is on, the router won't lift all the way up to lock the spindle, so when you change bits you have to turn the switch off. I had someone complain to me for 10 minutes how terrible this was. Oh, boo hoo.

Larry Browning
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
The big Triton is about as good as you'll get without doing something like a real lift and a 7518 motor. I've had mine for years, use it all the time and like it. It has a couple of quirks but nothing too terrible. The biggest complaint I hear is about the interlock on the power switch. If the switch is on, the router won't lift all the way up to lock the spindle, so when you change bits you have to turn the switch off. I had someone complain to me for 10 minutes how terrible this was. Oh, boo hoo.

I completely agree about the switch! An added bonus is that the switch is locked in off position while the spindle is in the locked position as well.
I got mine at Woodcraft just before Christmas for $199 as well. I just looked and they have gone up to $289:eek:. Maybe they will go an sale again. Before I mounted it in the table I used it as a plunge router while building the table. For a big router, it was very easy to handle free hand.

Larry Edgerton
04-26-2012, 6:34 PM
I have five PC 3 1/4 hp routers of all flavors, oldest being about 30 years old and they have been worked like a dog commercially. I have had to replace the bearing in one of them. That it. I see no reason to buy any other big router.

I disagree with not getting a base. A lot of people are afraid of them because of the power and the weight, but the power and the weight are your friend when you want to swing a big bit freehand. The base is also very wide and the handles are perfect and solid. I run bits up to 5" diameter freehand with these and would not do it in any other router. Not having that capability sitting on the shelf for what little it costs above a motor only may be like shooting yourself in the foot. We never know what the future will bring as far as projects.

Larry

scott spencer
04-26-2012, 7:34 PM

Thoughts?

I've got the Freud FT1700 and the Milwaukee 5625 for table use, and really like both. I love the topside features of the FT1700...I can do all I need to do from above the table...one handed topside bit changes are a breeze. At 13 amps it isn't as stout as the 15 amp units, but their FT3000 should fit that bill. Dunno if it works as well as a lift, but it works well...no need for a lift as far as I'm concerned.

The MW5625 is a power house with topside height adjustment. I've never used it with a lift, but I'm sure that'd be a nice touch if you're willing to spend the money. Without a lift, you still need to unlock and lock the motor in place manually from underneath, and I can only do topside bit changes with a bent wrench and the throat insert removed...still a very nice router IMO.