PDA

View Full Version : Are GI and Jet tablesaws equal in quality?

Allen Bookout
03-29-2005, 8:50 PM
I finally setteled on a GI 50-260 but cannot get one for a while as my dealer says that he has to amass a several thousand order to get GI to ship to him. I ask about an equal saw of a different brand that he could get and he suggested a Jet 708663MBK that is going to be on sale next week that will put it at the same price as the 50-260. Is the Jet of the same quality of the GI? I know that fence is very important so is the Jet fence just as good as the GI?
THANKS!!! Allen

P.S. I really do not like green except on plants. So - all things being equal I would prefer the Jet anyway.

Tim Morton
03-29-2005, 9:03 PM
The jet would be a nice choice, and if it is on sale for under 1300 then its even better :D . I think jim Becker drives a Jet saw similar to the one you are looking at. But lots several golks here have the general too.;If you like white better than green then go for it. Shop Fox makes a decent white saw too :cool:

Kent Parker
03-29-2005, 9:13 PM
Alan,

Check on the recent posts for General saws. General Internationals fence is as close to a Biesmeyer as you can get.

Kent

Dennis McDonaugh
03-29-2005, 9:14 PM
Jet makes a fine saw as does General, I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I'm not famaliar with the model number, but I have the Jet cabinet saw its been a great saw.

Allen Bookout
03-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the information! The only thing now is that I have been told (only by one person) that the Premier fence that the Jet comes with is inferior to the X-acta fence . Is this true? If so and I cannot get them to replace the Premier with the X-acta it looks like that I should go with the GI 50-260 and that way I will not have to worry about the fence system. Does this seem logical or am I making a big thing out of nothing?