PDA

View Full Version : A neanderthal Hybrid Saw

steven c newman
04-25-2012, 9:15 AM
Bought some more Rusties the other day. Two seemed to "stand out" . One was a very late model Disston panel saw, about 20" long. Blade was in good shape, but that handle was a chunky, clunky looking mess. There other saw, well a cheap, very bendable blade was attached to a decent looking handle. This saw was an "import" by STEIGO of China. Hmmmm, maybe a Blend of East & West?? Got things apart, the STEIGO was riveted together. I left it's medallion in place, though.230538230540The two saws for this project. So, IF I can add a Disstonian blade to a Steigonian handle, would that be a Hybrid Saw??230541I decided to keep BOTH medallions and the sawnuts froms the disston. A little sanding , aliitle refinishing, and a "marriage" of East & West.230542 As for that old Disston handle? Never fear, it also found work to do. I had an older "toolbox saw" (Irwin, I think) that had a bad, UGLY handle. At least the Disston LOOKED like a saw handle....230543 So it is now hanging up in the shop. Just some old bolts, rethreaded and cut down to fit. Just a couple re-habbed saws....:D While I was at it, i also cleaned up the saw in the attached thumbnail: a Disston Keystone saw called The PACE MAKER... more on it, at a later date.

Jim Koepke
04-25-2012, 11:05 AM
IF I can add a Disstonian blade to a Steigonian handle, would that be a Hybrid Saw??

How about a Frankensaw?

jtk

steven c newman
04-25-2012, 1:20 PM
Das Franckensaw? Or, Disstonian/steigonian Hybrid Model #1? Just a little 20" panel saw that fits my hand like a glove. Maybe a brand to go on the handle......DSH Mod I Hmmm?