PDA

View Full Version : Good source for live edge slab

Jeff Monson
04-25-2012, 8:51 AM
Looking for a live edge slab for a coffee table table, not too fussy about species. I'd like a top in the 48"x24"x1.5" size range. Walnut, cherry, maple would be my choices in order. I got a quote from a guy at Live edge online of $340.00 to $440.00 shipped, that seemed a little high to me? Looking for some recemmondations.

Prashun Patel
04-25-2012, 9:09 AM
Not sure where you are, Jeff, but you might try Horizon Lumber in PA. I'm biased, because I did some work for one of the owners, but I find their selection and service fantastic and prices reasonable. They have an online gallery that is easy to navigate. Also if you describe what you want, the guys (ask for Pete) will bend over backwards to take pix and email them to you. It's a pretty easy online order process.

I also like Bell in the Chicago area, but I've only bought dimensional from them.

David Hawxhurst
04-25-2012, 9:32 AM
hearne hardwoods in PA usually has some live edge slabs.

Ryan Hellmer
04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't know what you have for sawmills up there, but I'd look locally. I have a sawmill, just for my personal use, but I know a lot of guys around here running smaller outfits would sell you slabs for bd.ft costs. Your slab is basically 16 Bf, even at $5-10 a bd ft, you're not talking $300. Just food for thought. Heck, for $300 I could send you something.

Ryan

Jeff Bartley
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Jeff,
Check with local mills or loggers. I just acquired a bunch of crotch logs in ash and walnut from a timber cut....they were happy someone could use the crotches because they don't take that part of the tree to the mill. But in order to process you need a big chainsaw!
I don't know how much it would cost to ship something like that but I bet a big chunk of your quote was for shipping. Too bad you're not closer I'd make ya a heck of deal on one of the slabs I cut!! Perfect sizes for coffee tables!

Jeff Monson
04-25-2012, 2:17 PM
Thanks guys for the great suggestions.

Prashun, I contacted Horizon via email, most of their slab selections online are a little large for my application. I'm hoping they have some smaller pieces that are not listed online. Its a good thing I live quite a distance from them or I'd be "wood poor" for sure.

Tom Hargrove
04-25-2012, 5:59 PM
Owl Hardwoods (three stores in the Chicago area) had several slabs in several different species on display in their Des Plaines store a few weeks back. You could contact them to see what is available, and what it would cost to ship to Grand Forks. Owl has nice stuff, but they are not bashful from a price standpoint.

I was looking through Craigslist trying to find lumber that is not S2S, which is common here in the Chicago area. I found a number of small sawmills in central Wisconsin and in Southwestern Michigan that had thicker dimension hardwood lumber for sale in wide widths. You might look there and save some money on both lumber costs and freight.

Greg Portland
04-25-2012, 9:05 PM
Looking for a live edge slab for a coffee table table, not too fussy about species. I'd like a top in the 48"x24"x1.5" size range. Walnut, cherry, maple would be my choices in order. I got a quote from a guy at Live edge online of $340.00 to $440.00 shipped, that seemed a little high to me? Looking for some recemmondations.
You're shipping about 50lbs so shipping isn't cheap. Goby Walnut (http://www.gobywalnut.com) has a huge selection of walnut (including some monster slabs).

Jim Andrew
04-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Jeff, check out Forestryforum.com, surely there is someone near you who could fix you up.