PDA

View Full Version : Holden Beach, NC

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2012, 7:26 AM
Any woodworking places of interest to visit in this area? I scanned around and found Ringmaster in the area, I sent them an email to see if they have a retail presence. Don't seem to find much else...

Paul Steiner
04-25-2012, 7:39 AM
How far are you from Beaufort NC? There is a boat building museum there that still builds boats and offers classes. My family goes to Emerald Isle NC every year and I always stop by the museum to see what they are currently working on.

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2012, 8:04 AM
How far are you from Beaufort NC? There is a boat building museum there that still builds boats and offers classes. My family goes to Emerald Isle NC every year and I always stop by the museum to see what they are currently working on.

Looks like about 150 miles, so 300 miles round trip. Too far for a day trip. thanks for the suggestion.

Joe Cowan
04-25-2012, 9:52 AM
It is not that far from Myrtle Beach, SC if you want to google that and see what pops up. Holden Beach is a family type beach with not much available in the immediate area.

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2012, 9:59 AM
It is not that far from Myrtle Beach, SC if you want to google that and see what pops up. Holden Beach is a family type beach with not much available in the immediate area.

Looks like about 60 miles as the Google flies, that might work, Thanks!

Brian Tymchak
04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Looks like about 60 miles as the Google flies, that might work, Thanks!

I would suggest googling something up about Wilimington, NC which is probably only 20 mi or so north of Holden Beach. I don't know if there is anything there to recommend, but with it being an older more established small city, I'm thinking you might have a little better luck.

Jeff Bartley
04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Even if there's nothing woodworking specific Wilmington is a neat town, plenty of cool architecture to see!

Bruce Wrenn
04-25-2012, 9:57 PM
Anchor Hardwoods has a retail store in Wilmington. The USS North Carolina is anchored there. Fort Fisher is located across the river from South Port. It includes an aquairium.

Joe Cowan
04-26-2012, 9:01 AM
I live in Wilmington. Agree it is a great town, but not much as far as woodworking stuff. No Woodcraft for example. Good place to visit though.

Jim Matthews
04-26-2012, 4:07 PM
You're going to one of the prettiest stretches of sand in America.

Take a kite.
Make a sandcastle.

Talk to your wife (yes, you have to).

And here I thought I was obsessed.:rolleyes:

Jerome Hanby
04-26-2012, 4:11 PM
You're going to one of the prettiest stretches of sand in America.

Take a kite.
Make a sandcastle.

Talk to your wife (yes, you have to).

And here I thought I was obsessed.:rolleyes:

A kite isn't a bad idea. i could even build one, that's almost woodworking

Sand castles involve the beach, and I'm not much of a beach person

Talking to my wife is high on my list, but I prefer to do that after dark...Which I guess means that I talk a pretty good game <eg>

Jerome Hanby
04-26-2012, 4:13 PM
Anchor Hardwoods has a retail store in Wilmington. The USS North Carolina is anchored there. Fort Fisher is located across the river from South Port. It includes an aquairium.

Anchor Hardwoods looks interesting. Prices on their website look a little high, but I expect that for Internet sales. Is their "store" worth a personal visit? I'd love to score a great buy on some QS White Oak!