PDA

View Full Version : First big (to me) project in a long long time

Bill Brush
04-25-2012, 1:13 AM
Way back in high school I built a small table for my parents. After <censored> years I finally have time, materials, and a basic tool set to think about making something bigger than a small box and nicer than the rough-and-ready kid furniture made out of construction lumber.

So I'm making a walnut coffee table.

I scored some very wide (13") walnut planks, but they had a nasty cup, so they weren't suitable for use when I got them. They were also from a wild grown tree, not a farm, so they have some imperfections. On the plus side they're about 40 years old, and they were air-dried so they have some stunning grain patterns.

The center of the table is the best of the planks, which I ripped down the center to relieve the cup, and planed it so they are true for gluing back together.

So I have some procedural questions, and some technique questions.

When I glue up the table top, is there any problem if I glue up in stages? I have a limited number of clamps, so I want to minimize the chance that I'm going to have a big problem due to a lack of clamps. So I have 4 pieces, and I thought I'd glue 2 and then the other 2, and finally the 2 previous assemblies.

I'm a little bit at a loss on the edge joints for the top. Should I make them "sprung" with a gap in the center so they have more pressure on the ends to prevent failure due to movement or is it not necessary since I will be using a film finish which will minimize seasonal movement? Should I spline them? Shiplap? Tongue and groove? I'll be using just regular yellow wood glue. (I think I've settled on Waterlox high-gloss for the finish).

There is one small knot in the top that concerns me. It is tight (now) but I can see daylight through it. Should I route it out and inlay other wood? Fill it? Leave it and fill the gap with clear epoxy for character?

For the legs I have 2 pieces from the same tree. They are about 2 1/4" thick and about 5" wide. One is 28" long, and the other is about 46" long. They have some defects in them so I may not be able to get more than just the legs out of them, although I hope to. I'm planning on using mortise and tenon to attach the aprons to the legs. Since I started planning this project I've acquired a fairly basic spindle lathe, but that opens up the possibility of turning the legs. Would I be crazy to try turning the legs without any kind of duplicator? (Full disclosure I have never tried to turn 2 things identical, let alone 4.) Or maybe glue up the 4 legs into one turning blank, and have each leg be a 1/4" of the total (guaranteeing they are identical).

I'm planning on having a single basic drawer in the table. Would poplar be a suitable material for that? I have a small 3/4" thick poplar board that I can't think of a good use for.

Anyway, thanks for any input, I really want this to turn out since it's a present for my wife.

Dave Anthony
04-25-2012, 1:47 AM
My 2 cents (may not be worth that):
1. If clamps are scarce, glue in stages, using cauls.
2. WaterLox is my favorite go-to finish, but I would not characterize it as a film finish. Don't count on any finish to minimize movement. You may want to consider bread boarding the ends to allow for seasonal movement.
3. Take some fine sawdust from the same wood, mix it w/epoxy & fill the knot (hard call w/out pics)
4. Since you have limited material from the same tree I would practice on cheap wood before attempting to turn the legs. Alternately, a simple square or tapered leg may work, depending on your design.
5. Poplar is fine as a secondary wood for the drawer.