PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a school

Greg Hairston
04-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Hello all,
I am at a point in my life where it is time for a change. I am looking to go to school to reinvent myself and develop my skills as a woodworker. I have worked in and owned a cabinet shop but I am looking for the fine woodworking skills I have yet to acquire. I plan to use my GI bill benefits so I am not looking for workshops. I am willing to devote up to two years and the location is not that important but I would like to stay east of the Mississipi. The schools I am researhing are Center for Furniture craftsmanship, Apalachian center for craft and North Bennet. I have been able to find information on North bennett and some on the Center for Furniture craftsmanship but none on the Appalachian center for craft. If anyone could provide me with some additional information on these programs or other programs I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Greg

Mike Henderson
04-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I can't give you any advice on schools but I will give you some advice on building furniture for a living. Very few people make a decent living making furniture. The reason is that commercial furniture is very good (suitable for what people need). The only time people commission furniture is when they want something very specific - something that can't be found in the furniture store, or if you're not really a furniture maker but an artist (or designer). That is, you design furniture that's "new" and interesting, and you get the right amount of recognition from critics and collectors.

Sam Maloof, for example, was not famous because he was a great craftsman but because he designed furniture that was different but appealing to a large group of people, including collectors and furniture critics. Quite a bit of the building of his rockers, for example, was done by his employees - who were very good craftsmen - but Sam signed the rocker and that made it valuable. A rocker produced by those same employees today, without Sam's signature, will be worth quite a bit less than the earlier rockers. People were not paying for a piece of furniture, but for a piece of art.

If all you can offer is craftsmanship, you'll starve. Too many people are good craftsmen. Too few people are artist.

Mike

Chris Hedges
04-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Mike - I don't know you and mean no offense, but when a man comes on here asking for information about pursuing a dream, why do you feel you need to give him a speech about the realities of being a furniture maker? I would assume that he has put some thought in this and has considered both sides of the coin. Furthermore, perhaps this is the kind of guy who would rather come to the end of his life saying 'I tried'.

OP, I attended http://www.rio.edu/finewoodworking/ It is a good program and several students work has been recognized nationally. The program certainly doesn't have the prestige of some of the programs you have mentioned, but like a lot of things, sometimes a name is over rated. Typically the first project is a standard shaker table. It allows the instructors to evaluate your skills and allows you to familiarize yourself with the tools they have. From there, you can design and work on anything you choose. The focus is certainly on reproduction but I'd imagine if you wanna build Malof rockers you wont be refused. In any case, give them a call and talk to Eric Matson. He's a good guy and can answer any questions you may have.

Chris

Jim Andrew
04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
If I were a woodworker in Tennessee, I'd be trying to get a job at the Gibson guitar factory. Personally, consider furniture making a hobby. Me, I spent my years working in construction, had my own company for 25 years, and owned a share in a cabinet shop. Fortunately, one of the partners had spent his entire years in cabinet work, and I learned a lot from him. Went to college and majored in Industrial Arts, learned a lot more working in the field. When in college, took every course they offered in woodworking.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Not in my dream, but if it was: College of the redwoods, ft Bragg, CA
or maybe evn Rhode Island School of Design

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2012, 7:49 AM
I was watching one of the Wood Whisperer's videos and he talked about pretty much invading David Marks and talking his way into what amounts to an apprenticeship. Pretty sure he took care of his own room and board and didn't get paid, but I would think that kind of experience is much more dense than anything you would get in a classroom... Not saying to show up on David's doorstep, but if there is someone you can cultivate a relationship with that has the skills...

Greg Hairston
04-25-2012, 8:07 AM
Mike,
There are a lot of starving artist also:D I appreciate your input but I am looking for woodworking schools. Never did I mention in my post that I planned to do this for a living. I know the realities of the business. I am doing this for myself. I am Retired Navy and my bills are paid through my retirement. This is for me.... Please if anyone can provide input about the schools I would really appreciate it.

I can't give you any advice on schools but I will give you some advice on building furniture for a living. Very few people make a decent living making furniture. The reason is that commercial furniture is very good (suitable for what people need). The only time people commission furniture is when they want something very specific - something that can't be found in the furniture store, or if you're not really a furniture maker but an artist (or designer). That is, you design furniture that's "new" and interesting, and you get the right amount of recognition from critics and collectors.

Sam Maloof, for example, was not famous because he was a great craftsman but because he designed furniture that was different but appealing to a large group of people, including collectors and furniture critics. Quite a bit of the building of his rockers, for example, was done by his employees - who were very good craftsmen - but Sam signed the rocker and that made it valuable. A rocker produced by those same employees today, without Sam's signature, will be worth quite a bit less than the earlier rockers. People were not paying for a piece of furniture, but for a piece of art.

If all you can offer is craftsmanship, you'll starve. Too many people are good craftsmen. Too few people are artist.

Mike

Greg Hairston
04-25-2012, 8:08 AM
Chris,
Thanks for the information. I will give him a call today.

Philip Spencer
04-25-2012, 8:19 AM
The North Bennet Street School in Boston is well regarded and renowned for its fine woodworking programs. It offers an associates degree and is accredited. http://www.nbss.edu/

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2012, 9:58 AM
The North Bennet Street School in Boston is well regarded and renowned for its fine woodworking programs. It offers an associates degree and is accredited. http://www.nbss.edu/

The drawback is you come out speaking like Tommy Mac <eg>

Mike Henderson
04-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Mike - I don't know you and mean no offense, but when a man comes on here asking for information about pursuing a dream, why do you feel you need to give him a speech about the realities of being a furniture maker? I would assume that he has put some thought in this and has considered both sides of the coin. Furthermore, perhaps this is the kind of guy who would rather come to the end of his life saying 'I tried'.
Chris
I know a number of people who tried to make a living building furniture. All of them eventually gave it up and went on to other things (some after accumulating a mound of debt). One is a now woodworking teacher, another works in a woodworking shop (cabinets), others have gone on to other professions.

Someone who wants to follow their dreams should do so, but they should do so with their eyes open. We would do them a disservice if we didn't mention the difficulties.

Mike

[And if they've already researched the field, giving them superfluous information will not harm them.]

[There's an old saying in woodworking: "Furniture makers win awards. Cabinet makers (kitchen cabinets) make money.]

Steve Friedman
04-25-2012, 11:34 AM
No specific recommendations, but Fine Woodworking maintains a list of woodworking schools around the world:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=28165

Ellen Benkin
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship 9 month program will give you an excellent background in all types of furniture making techniques while allowing you freedom to follow the designs of your choice. North Bennett St grads have excellent training in recreating colonial styles. College of the Redwoods is a California Community College that is highly selective and many of their grads have gone on to have great careers. I'd suggest that you visit the schools and talk to the administrators and students to get a feel for what each offers. If you are going to invest 9 months to two years you need to make an informed decision as to which is best for you.

Jeff Duncan
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
North Bennett may be a good fit for you. From what I understand they tend to have quite a few students that are in a similar life situation as the one you describe. I think it can help to have peers to relate to when going back to school. I don't know about the other schools, but something that may be worth inquiring about.

I went back to school for a couple years and though I was only about 8 years older than the average student, it was noticeable. I found I enjoyed the classes where there were a few others of similar age. May not make a difference for you, but thought I'd throw it out there FWIW.

good luck,
JeffD

Jay Jolliffe
04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
If you want to travel to Maine the Center For Furniture Craftsmanship is a great school....I took the 12 week course & they offer a 9 month one also...

Will Boulware
04-25-2012, 1:15 PM
I have no contribution to offer to this thread, but I would like to thank the OP for his service to our country. Best of luck in finding the program you're looking for!

Greg Hairston
04-25-2012, 1:15 PM
Thanks Will

Matt Kestenbaum
04-25-2012, 2:14 PM
Beyond those that have already been mentioned there are some great programs in the more traditional college vein...you might look into Rochester Institute of Technology, Northern Michigan University, Rhode Island School of Design, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology (Steve Latta runs it, may require residency), Buck County Community College, Tenn Technological Univ (home of Appalachian Center for Craft).

Don Jarvie
04-25-2012, 2:15 PM
North Bennett St is the real deal. I took a 10 week course (Saturdays) this winter and it was great and hope to take more. The classes are small ~10-12 students so not everyone gets in. One of the drawbacks is its expensive and you will need some place to live for the 18 months. The full time program is M-F from 8:30 to 3pm with July and August off. You need to make a chair, case piece, tool chest and something else I think (going from memory). The great part is its all woodworking all the time.

If you want to check out the school you might want to take one of the 10 day programs. They offer the same program I took below over 10 straight days so it may be worth signing up, renting a hotel room for 2 weeks and take the course. You'll then have a chance to talk to the staff and see what the school is about and decide if the full time program is worth it.

The 10 week course I took was sharpening, chisel work, hand planing, mortise and tenon and dovetails all using hand tools. I can finally sharpen, use a plane, make a dovetail and use a chisel correctly. The price was very good also (1150.00 for the 10 weeks) espcially when you pay 90 bucks for 3 hrs at Woodcraft.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

James White
04-26-2012, 8:22 AM
http://woodtreks.com/category/features/eric-matson/

One of the posters mentioned Eric M..

If you like Italian food Bostons North End has some of the best. But $$$.

James

Jim Matthews
04-26-2012, 4:23 PM
You'll come out money ahead, if you go work for a single fine furniture maker on your own dime.

Living in Boston is expensive. The first thing they tell the incoming NBSS class is that only the locksmiths and restoration carpenters make any money.
This field is to millenials as fine cooking was to the baby boomers - over subscribed.

If you insist on working with your hands, in wood, you must specialize.
Window makers are in demand, and their skill set is the equal of interior furniture makers.

That, and people actually see their work.

I have a very different opinion of the NBSS - while they stress fidelity to original methods, I felt it fussy and impractical.
It's also hideously expensive.

Have a look at The University of Rio Grande (http://www.rio.edu/finewoodworking/), in Ohio for a genuine alternative.

Drop Brian Boggs a line at the Boggs Collective (http://boggscollective.com/) in Asheville, NC.
He's one of the few Big Dogs actively making a living.
That would be my first choice - and you might even get paid along the way.

You'll note that he runs LOTS of classes to supplement his income.

A little further afield, Vermont woodworking school (http://vermontwoodworkingschool.com/CONTACT_US.html). I believe they are also affiliated with nearby Burlington college (https://www.burlington.edu/content/burlington-college-students-and-staff-win-multiple-top-honors-vt-furniture-and-woodworking-f) (which has a population of good looking women - or so I've heard).
I had a very good experience there, and see a notable progression of skills in the student body.

It's a reasonably priced area to live, too.

Lastly, I would say that the only thing you'll not get more of is time. Spend it wisely.

jim
wpt, ma

ray hampton
04-26-2012, 5:56 PM
had you consider the schools that are in Tennessee, Berea college in Kentucky also teach the crafts

Paul Wunder
04-26-2012, 6:31 PM
http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/abouttommy.php

Tommy MacDonald started his career as a carpenter, but a shoulder injury made it impossible to continue in that profession. Eventually he turned to the North Bennett School in Boston to sharpen his existing skills and to learn new ones. He is not known as a "designer" but he did find a way to capitalize on his skills. The story of his success is well known. Perhaps he would be willing to talk to you if you contacted him through his website.

A personal note; Only you know your skill set. Only you know what you want/need at this stage of your life. I hope you achieve your goals; follow your own heart. It will lead you well.

Greg Hairston
04-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I visited the Appalachian Center for Craft today in Smithville Tn. It is part of Tennessee Tech. Very nice place, secluded, and it is a college program that offers a non degree woodworking curriculum. I am going to see if my credits from Memphis State degree have enough applicable transfer credits to complete the BFA program in 2 years. Does anyone know anything about this particular program that they could share.
I also talked to the folks at Univ of Rio Grande. I may try to take a trip up there next week.

Ben West
04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Greg...sent you a pm.

Chris Hedges
04-27-2012, 8:13 PM
If you do get a chance to visit Rio, be sure to visit the bob evans farm! its about the only thing within 10 mileage of the school...

Chris

Peter Melanson
05-02-2012, 4:35 PM
Good for you man, I have been researching this a lot myself but having a hard time getting there. I have been accepted to North Bennett but with the economy and everything i cannot sell my house in Colorado (i am willing to lose 40K on it but still no bite - any takers?? It has a shop!!)) so i cannot attend yet. I am from Boston originally as well and visited the school for the interview part of the application and it was great everything i hear about it is awesome. I would also recommend another just 30 minutes north in Beverly Called the "Furniture Institute of Massachusetts run by Phil Lowe. Phil used to be the department head at the North Bennett and then left to open his own school and he is amazing as well. I got to visit him and his school as well and was very impressed. I am trying doing it for the same reason at 44. Be careful of the community college setting (not all but some), i tried here at one that is supposed to be one of the better and was very disappointed. I would travel each way an 1:30 (with class going from 6-10 with 150 students average each night) they would instruct for 45 minutes at most and then you had to wait for machines, i have a shop at home so i would leave and just work at home until the next 45min lecture. Again not all are like this but be aware. NC has several well renowned schools as well. Good luck,
PS: I am very jealous on your situation. If you have any question i would more than happy to tell you my experiences visiting.

Peter Melanson
05-03-2012, 1:02 PM
Good for you man, I have been researching this a lot myself but having a hard time getting there. I have been accepted to North Bennett but with the economy and everything i cannot sell my house in Colorado (i am willing to lose 40K on it but still no bite - any takers?? It has a shop!!)) so i cannot attend yet. I am from Boston originally as well and visited the school for the interview part of the application and it was great everything i hear about it is awesome. I would also recommend another just 30 minutes north in Beverly Called the "Furniture Institute of Massachusetts run by Phil Lowe. Phil used to be the department head at the North Bennett and then left to open his own school and he is amazing as well. I got to visit him and his school as well and was very impressed. I am trying doing it for the same reason at 44. Be careful of the community college setting (not all but some), i tried here at one that is supposed to be one of the better and was very disappointed. I would travel each way an 1:30 (with class going from 6-10 with 150 students average each night) they would instruct for 45 minutes at most and then you had to wait for machines, i have a shop at home so i would leave and just work at home until the next 45min lecture. Again not all are like this but be aware. NC has several well renowned schools as well. Good luck,
PS: I am very jealous on your situation. If you have any question i would more than happy to tell you my experiences visiting.

Greg Portland
05-04-2012, 2:47 PM

Mike+1. Work in a studio, not in a shop. Anyway, I would recommend the Rhode Island School of Design (http://www.risd.edu) as a place that emphasizes the art side of WWing.

Heather Thompson
05-04-2012, 3:34 PM
I went to Rosewood Studio in Canada, took the six week course, excellent and really wanted to take the nine month program. When I got married in '06 my husband and I went to Maine for our honeymoon, visited the "Center for Furniture Craftsmanship" and met Peter Korn, great school and facilities. The only problem with the "Center for Furniture Craftsmanship" is they are right down the rode from Lie-nielsen ToolWorks, hugh cash drain!!!:D Both schools are great, Ron Barter owns Rosewood and I would personally pick his school, the extra costs at the "Center" for tools and seafood would just kill me. Here is the link to RoseWood. http://www.rosewoodstudio.com/ Hope this is OK with the TOS.

Heather

Ruperto Mendiones
05-09-2012, 5:45 PM
I'm advocating the wrong side of the Mississippi but check out www.cerritos.edu/wood. [Norwalk, Ca] I've seen some excellent furniture turned out by Cerritos students. And, the ratio of students to machines is not large.

Up in Portland, Oregon check out Gary Rogowski's Northwest Woodworking Studio. The mastery program is a 2 year residential affair It is also possible to do it from afar.

Best wishes wherever you decide.

Ruperto