PDA

View Full Version : A DVD for the absolute beginner?

Glen Blanchard
04-24-2012, 1:46 PM
Is there an instructional DVD that is suited to the woodworker who has never ever ever turned? I'm talking real basics here.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2012, 2:22 PM
Glen...If you want to learn to turn bowls I recommend BIll Grumbine's 1st DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy"......Richard Raffin has a series of DVDs out with a variety of projects.

Glen Blanchard
04-24-2012, 2:28 PM
Thanks Ken, but that's probably beyond my present skill set. I know what a head stock is. I know what a tail stock is. I know what a banjo is. A tool rest too. That's about all I know presently however. So I need the very basics. I'm currently watching some You Tube videos, but thought I'd inquire about a DVD.

Mike Peace
04-24-2012, 2:51 PM
Jet produced an excellent DVD on beginning woodturning with Nick Cook. It has been placed on youtube in segments starting here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_SJcAyPtI

If you want to watch a YouTube on how to hold wood on a lathe you might want to watch this free hour and a half video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

Ron Radliff
04-24-2012, 2:52 PM
Try this one: http://coolhammers.com/Turning%20Info.htm
The title speaks for itself.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2012, 3:02 PM
Glen,

My favorite reference that I used when I first began turning was a book "Woodturning - A Foundation Course " by Keith Rowley. It is written for the begginning turner. Often I had it open beside the lathe for instant reference. It's listed at Amazon for $13.43 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Foundation-Course-New-Edition/dp/1861081146/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335294050&sr=1-1 He takes you through all forms of turning and has a list of projects that progress with your newly learned skills. He teaches you how to present the different tools and gives you the "whys".

Bill Bulloch
04-24-2012, 3:36 PM
I agree with Ken, Keith Rowley's Book offers the most complete instructions for beginners and it is also available as a DVD. I used it as my mentor when I first started out. My copy of the DVD is currently on loan to a friend that is interested in learning to turning. I'd be happy to loan it to you when it is returned if you are still interested. I have his book, also, but with it selling at $13, buying is probably as cheap as postage especially if you take advantage of Amazon's free shipping offer for a $25 purchase (I'm sure you can find something of interest for the other $12).

Jim Burr
04-24-2012, 7:03 PM
Hey Glen,
A simple search of basic turning would have revealed much! CSUSA, Penn state, Mike Mahoney, Richard Raffin, YoYo spin, Bill Grumbine, youtube and several dozen others have countless DVD's on turning. Maybe you'd be better off specifying something like bowls, pens, spindles...whatever. Feel free to search the web and then maybe you can be more specific.

Bill Noce
04-24-2012, 7:15 PM
Check out Mike Darlow Dvd's...he has basic turning..........Spindles, taming the skew, bowls, sharpening.

Grant Wilkinson
04-24-2012, 7:52 PM
I bought Bill Grumbine's video when the only thing that I had turned was a bad pen, and that, using a scraper. Coming out of watching the video several times, I turned a reasonable facsimile of a bowl.

Harvey Ghesser
04-24-2012, 8:04 PM
Glen, Is there a turning club close to where you live? That would be a great idea for you if there is. That would take the mystery out if it in a hurry!

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2012, 9:26 PM
I have to agree with Ken F. My first turning book and DVD was Keith Rawley's Woodturning-A Foundation Course. It is great for a starter.

Alec Moseley
04-24-2012, 9:37 PM
you may want to check out the series of videos, at all levels, found at http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/

Thomas Canfield
04-24-2012, 10:24 PM
There are several turning clubs in your area and finding a club with mentors and seeing some of the demos is a great way to learn about turning. The clubs often will have a library with many different books and dvds available. That will help you also determine more of your interest and help make decisions about lathe and tools.

Glen Blanchard
04-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Hey Glen,
A simple search of basic turning would have revealed much! CSUSA, Penn state, Mike Mahoney, Richard Raffin, YoYo spin, Bill Grumbine, youtube and several dozen others have countless DVD's on turning. Maybe you'd be better off specifying something like bowls, pens, spindles...whatever. Feel free to search the web and then maybe you can be more specific.

Thanks Jim. Perhaps you noticed that I had already mentioned that I had come across some You Tube videos and was watching those. Yes, I have, and will continue to search the web.

I'm not sure how much more specific I can be at this point. The phrase, "You don't know what you don't know" comes to mind here. I am fairly well versed in flatwork, not so much in round work. However, for a complete noob in the world of flatwork, there is no sense in asking him if he is interested in hand cutting dovetails until he knows how to predictably mill up a board. How to get it flat. How to get it square. He would be best served learning what a jointer does. What a planer does. The difference between a bandsaw and a table saw. He will need this knowledge regardless if he wants to make contemporary furniture, jewelry boxes or a Maloof rocker. This is where I am at in the world of turning. Thus the use of the phrase "absolute beginner" in the title for this thread.

I will continue to scour the web for material and thanks to many constructive posts here, I have some DVD's to consider as well.

Thanks guys.

Steve Pippins
04-25-2012, 1:17 PM
Glen, you should attend the Dallas Woodturners meetings for demos and hands on help. They also
have a library and 'How To' guides.

http://www.dallaswoodturners.com/

Steve

John Nesmith
04-25-2012, 2:48 PM
"A simple search of basic turning would have revealed much!"

Or, he could go directly to a large group of experienced turners, and ask for their opinion. :)

Glen Blanchard
04-25-2012, 3:38 PM
you may want to check out the series of videos, at all levels, found at http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/

WOW! Talk about a wealth of information. That will keep me busy for a while. Thanks.

John Nesmith
04-25-2012, 4:22 PM
WOW! Talk about a wealth of information. That will keep me busy for a while. Thanks.

Incredible! I am restoring an 80 year old lathe, and then plan to learn how to use it. That is an amazing compilation of information. I appreciate it too.

Lee Koepke
04-26-2012, 8:22 AM
Glen, I am still pretty new at turning.....besides reading and watching videos, sitting down with someone for as little as 30 minutes can get the 'basics' across to you -- safety, theory, and the ability/knowledge to be able to ask more questions.

I bought my lathe from an experienced turner and he kinda made me hang in his shop a bit giving me the general run-down. One thing I have found out about turner's in general, they are by far the most open and excited to share, talk, demonstrate just about anything. Your only limitation here is, the fear of asking !!!!