PDA

View Full Version : cherry burl hollow form

Russell Eaton
04-24-2012, 8:31 AM
I roughed this out before I started the shop project. It was very dry and I was wanting a challenge. It was a BIG challenge. For the first time while hollowing I felt the NEED for a full face shield, and some body armor. I ended up a little thinner than I like but I had tool marks to get out. It is Cherry burl and sanded to 600 grit. I finished it with wood turners finish and buffed with EEE. I need to hand sand a couple spots inside and then was thinking of some walnut oil for the inside finish. Any thoughts on that?. Thanks for the help. As always comments are welcome, good or bad. Russell.

Steve Busey
04-24-2012, 9:09 AM
You love to live dangerously, Russell. Glad you came through that one uninjured. What are the dimensions of the piece? No opinion on walnut oil for the inside - you could pretty much get away with whatever you want in there. I like the form in the second picture - nice roof line and porch light. The cherry thing looks nice too. ;^}

steven carter
04-24-2012, 9:15 AM
Very nice HF. The profile pic reminds me of a pagoda. Looks like it took the nerves of a samauri to complete this one as well! I would think that any oil finish would be fine for the inside.

Russell Eaton
04-24-2012, 9:18 AM
Sorry Steve it is about 9" tall, and not sure how wide.

Jim Burr
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Wow Russell!! I sure hope you wrapped that monster up!! I like the form...not something you see everyday. It looks to be about 7-8" wide at the shoulder. That should show well!

Roger Chandler
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Two words come to my mind............PUCKER ........FACTOR.........:eek: ....Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
That is a great piece. Well done.

Rob Cunningham
04-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Cool looking HF.

Jason Ritchie
04-24-2012, 12:42 PM
That's a beautiful piece! That would have ended disastrously for me! lol I'm a big fan of Mahoney's Walnut Oil finish and wax. Bought it to make food safe utility pieces but I really love the soft finish that it produces and its very easy to apply. I would think this would be a good candidate for the inside finish as that area will not be handled much if any.

John Keeton
04-24-2012, 4:12 PM
Really nice work, Russell, and I echo the comments on amazement that you made it to the finish line with this one!!!

Eric Gourieux
04-24-2012, 4:24 PM
I really like this one, Russell. The form is nice and a beautiful piece of burl.

Baxter Smith
04-24-2012, 6:30 PM
Nice workon the burl Russell. I imagine any oil you have on hand would work.

Michelle Rich
04-25-2012, 7:24 AM
Wow wow wow

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2012, 1:21 PM
Very nice work on this! I agree with Steve - reminds me of a Pagoda! Really different!!