PDA

View Full Version : Shaper versus Router

Philip Spencer
04-24-2012, 7:23 AM
I am in the market for a new router. But I have seen a lot of reasonable priced used shapers on the market so I am having the great 'shaper versus router' debate in my head. I don't do much free-hand routing so does it make sense to go for the shaper, or stick with the flexibility of the router? The cost of the shaper cutters has me a little worried since they seem to be three times the cost of an equivalent router bit.

Myk Rian
04-24-2012, 7:48 AM
If you make a lot of molding or door panels, use a shaper. Otherwise, a router.
I don't do much handheld routing either. It's always in the table.

Bob Lloyd
04-24-2012, 8:19 AM
Philip

I have seen this question asked and answered here a number of times, try a search and you will find a lot of information.

Peter Kelly
04-24-2012, 8:25 AM
With a shaper you can get insert cutter systems. The initial investment is a little on the high side but the cut quality is far and away better and the replacement knives are generally less expensive than comparable router bits. Also, you can get knives ground to match any profile you want.

Pretty sure I wouldn't try to do any panel raising with a router table either.

Peter Quinn
04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
This is a bit like the question "short bed pick up or dump truck". It sort of depends on your needs, goals and ambitions. I have several of both and prefer it that way. But it's too general a question IME to answer universally as an either or statement.

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:01 PM
This is a bit like the question "short bed pick up or dump truck". It sort of depends on your needs, goals and ambitions.

+1

It is an apples and oranges debate. They do similar things and there is some overlap but the farther you overlap the less effective they are. IMHO the average hobby shop is better served with a good router table and a 3+ horsepower motor in a router lift. If you however concentrate on raised panel doors (entry or cabinet) or large moulding a shaper and feeder is the better of the two.