PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte NC Woodworking Stores

Dick Parr
03-29-2005, 6:30 PM
Does anyone know of any good places to stop at in Charlotte NC. I know Klingspor's is there but are there any other places to shop at, I mean stop at. :rolleyes:

We are going to see the kids and grand kids this Thursday and was just wondering cause I am sure there will be a lot of trips there. My SIL is also into woodworking but since they just moved their last week, I am sure he hasn't had a chance to check things out yet.

Thanks for any leads. :)

Paul Di Biasio
03-29-2005, 8:21 PM
I just got back yesterday from Charlotte. The traffic in Charlotte is much worse than Wash DC. Good luck...

There is a Woodcraft in Matthews, south of town near I-485. (1725 Windsor Square Dr. (704) 847-8300). If you want to drool, check out Martin Woodworking (Industrial Woodworking equipment) off I-77 10 minutes from the Woodcraft.

Dick Parr
03-29-2005, 8:57 PM
Thanks Paul,

but please don't tell me the traffic is worse then DC. The reason we are going is because our kids and grand kids just moved from Fairfax last week, down to Charlotte. I was hoping not to be fighting traffic when we went to see them. :(

At least it will be a shorter drive from Knoxville to Charlotte then to Fairfax. :)

Thanks again Paul

Andrew Alexander
03-29-2005, 9:08 PM
I think Paul meant to say 10 minutes from Klingspor...if he meant 10 minutes from Matthews then ignor the taffic problem statement unless of he is a helicopter pilot!(Tho this is a phenomenia experienced by newcomers to the city...welcome Paul)...Traffic in Charlotte is busy but worst than DC??...I'd debate that one but but only lightly...Charlotte is definetly a driving primer for any major city in the US as far as driving effort...

Dick...Paul gave you the true skinney on woodworking stores in Charlotte...Greensboro has a new Rockler...depending on the side of town you are starting from Greensboro can be closer than across town in traffic...unless you are a pilot!!...no offense intended.

Andrew

Paul Di Biasio
03-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Although Northern Virginia certainly has more cars on the road, at least there are some secondary roads. The home building going on in Union County is mind boggling (even by our standards) and there aren't any secondary roads being constructed yet. A simple 4 way stop can be a nightmare.

When they get the roads built, it will be a beautiful place to visit.

Gary Whitt
03-30-2005, 9:21 AM
Klingspor's on South Blvd. at Woodlawn Rd.

Woodcraft on Hwy. 74 near Hwy. 51 in Matthews (east Charlotte)

Harbor Freight On Independence Blvd. (Hwy 74) near Eastway Drive

Charlotte Hardwood off Morris Field Drive, off Wilkinson Blvd. (Hwy 74 on the west side)

Woodworking Machinery & Supplies on Hwy. 273 (exit 27) off I-85 in Belmont (west Charlotte)

Dick Parr
03-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Thank you Gary, just what I wanted to see. :D

Also thanks to the others that have responded.

Dick Parr
04-05-2005, 7:24 PM
Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that gave locations. Went to them all and had a great time with the SIL.

Paul you were right about the traffic in some area's, WOW :eek: Sunday coming home we made the mistake of taking I-77 north to I-85. Took an hour and 45 min. to go 5 miles on a Sunday afternoon. They were working on I-85 east so 3-4 lanes narrowed down to 1 lane at exit 13 :mad:

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks again. :)