PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Paper Pattern

Kevin Baker
04-24-2012, 6:23 AM
Hi Everyone-

I'm working on a project and for sake of simplicity let's say I have the letter "K". In Corel I've created a document that is 48" x 48" and made the "K" as large as possible, it's has no fill and hairline outline. My intent is using regular 8.5 x 11 paper (I may run and get some 11 x 17 later), put out the "K" and tape the parts back together and the cut it out on a piece of plywood (using a jig saw). I'm using the method for making multi-tile murals to create "my tiles" (copy paper of 8.5 x 11) and can successfully break the "K" into 8.5 x 11 tiles.

My question is how and where to put my paper to get the laser to cut through the edges. When I put the paper in the top left (0,0) and cut of the tiles, the laser (correctly so) couldn't cut all the way at the top or the left side. I though if I put a spacer along the top and left side (1/2 or so), then I would still have the same problem. I watched a video about this multi-tile process, and she created her titles a little larger (.125") to allow for bleeding. Would this work when trying to cut the tile out vs engraving an image on tiles?

Question #2 - at the back of a pad of legal paper, the heavy cardboard (chip board?).. anyone know of a supplier.

Thanks,
Kevin

Mike Null
04-24-2012, 6:35 AM
Kevin

You can get clipboards from Johnson Plastics--they'll be for sublimation.

I think the solution to your drawing problem may be to use registration marks which Corel will allow you to do.

George D Gabert
04-24-2012, 8:57 AM
In Corel 13

To tile a print job

Click File http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/onestep.jpg Print.

Click the Layout tab.

Enable the Print tiled pages check box.

Type values in the following boxes:

Tile overlap — lets you specify the number of inches by which to overlap tiles

% of page width — lets you specify the percentage of the page width the tiles will occupy

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/tip.gif

Enable the Tiling marks check box to include tiling alignment marks.

Jeff Belany
04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
For the chipboard, go to any local print shop. They should have it in large size.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin