PDA

View Full Version : Wood gloat or trouble?

tom gepfrich
04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Hello all,

I have a chance to score maple from a HUGE maple that was uprooted by a storm in Jacksonville , FL last week. The trunk is 6 feet or so in diameter and the main branches look to be 18+ inches. One main branch snapped when the tree fell over but the rest of the tree looks solid. The owner is willing to give me whatever I want when the arborist cuts it up. I have read somewhere storm trees should be avoided and would appreciate any opinions. Also, is a north florida maple worth harvesting? My plan is to cut some 8/4 planks and bowl blanks. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Marty Eargle
04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
I think this would be an absolute gloat. I assume that the warning about storm trees is because of wind shake...but you should be able to tell if that is the case when it is cut up.

Maple is something I could never imagine turning down. Just make sure you have something to seal it with when its cut up.

Harry Robinette
04-24-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm with Marty, like he said watch for the wind shake (cracks around the growth rings) and get what you can if it's like our Maple here in Ohio it turns great.

Roger Chandler
04-24-2012, 6:20 AM
Not all of the tree would be damaged by wind shake.........likely some of the limbs........that can be worked around. If you need wood, then get all you can..............maple is a great turning wood!

tom gepfrich
04-24-2012, 6:59 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. I will harvest what I can and will likely have some extras up for fellow creekers. I will keep you posted.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2012, 7:41 AM
Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Jason Ritchie
04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Windshake? Wow, I learn something every day! Never thought of it but it does make sense.

Roger Chandler
04-24-2012, 1:33 PM
Windshake? Wow, I learn something every day! Never thought of it but it does make sense.

Windshake separates the layers in the wood.........I was turning a black walnut bowl a couple years ago, and had chunks of the thing coming out rather than curlees...........when I really learned I had better get serious about using a faceshield........anyway, a big chunk came out, and got sucked into my dust collector......lodged itself in between the impellar and the housing, and burnt the motor out............bummer!!!

Windshake can make problems holding the wood safely if it is in the tenon area, but usually can be overcome with light cuts and slower speeds..........one has to stay alert however!

Pat Scott
04-24-2012, 4:51 PM
Windshake normally only applies to branches, right? If the trunk is 6' in diameter, I would think it wouldn't move at all. I'd take the whole trunk or as much of it as I could, then have a big smile on my face while gloating!

Terry Quiram
04-24-2012, 6:38 PM
If nothing else the root flairs should have some increadible figure. The worst thing to happen is you will get lots of practice.

Jason Ritchie
04-24-2012, 6:38 PM
Would this be the cracking and creaking sound you hear in the trees during high winds?

Dennis Ford
04-24-2012, 6:46 PM
I have a few hundred feet of oak and smaller amounts of cherry, walnut & persimon lumber in my shop; it was cut from storm damaged trees. There will be lots of good wood in most trees even after they have been blown completely over.

charlie knighton
04-24-2012, 7:32 PM
if you can turn the outside of hf with windshake, use duct tape, 4 to 5 inches strips, cover the outside, then hollow, wear safety equipment

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2012, 9:31 PM
I would grab all I could get my hands on especially the trunk. Wind shake can be worked around as was said. I am guessing the trunk probably would have any but have seen branchs with it. I got some maple that came thru a EF 5 tornado with no wind shake.

Del Hollingsworth
04-25-2012, 5:19 PM
I love storm trees. Free wood just laying on the ground, llike a gift from the Lumber Fairy.

I have had issues with wind shake, but never in the storm-damaged trees. I was, however, able to work around it.

tom gepfrich
04-25-2012, 9:39 PM
I went over today and cut out all of the y's that were undamaged. The owner was nice enough to let me mark all of the main branches I want with spraypaint. I am heading over in the AM to see what is waiting for me. Luckily the little bit I have seen looks good with spalting and some curl! I will post pict when I finish the score.