PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a used MM24

mreza Salav
04-23-2012, 10:51 PM
The following MM24 is posted on sale on the other side of the country (I'm here in Edmonton, Alberta):

The asking price is $2200. It's a 2003 model with around 15" resaw. I'll have to get it crated by a company and shipped more than 2000 miles to me.
I have had a forum member (on a different forum) check the saw and said it's in very good shape (he is thinking of buying a slider the seller has).
The bandsaw comes with a dozen or so blades, some are new including some carbide blades. The seller says they are worth $1000 or so.
I have been looking for a good bandsaw and was thinking to get a new MM16 (or maybe MM20 if I stretch my wallet) but this seems a good price.
I think I can get it here for about what a new MM16 would cost me. It's probably more saw than I need and I will have to wait before we move to a bigger house to use it (as my current shop is in basement).
If it was a newer model it was an excellent deal even if I had to pay $800 or so for shipping/crating but given that it's the older model I have a bit of hesitation and so need
your advice. What do you think about this?

Some of you might remember I bought a used minimax 14" J/P combo that was 1000's miles away but I went there myself and had it crated and shipped. This time I have to rely
on others to crate/ship it and I'm buying it sight unseen.

Suggestions/advice/comments?

thanks

David Kumm
04-23-2012, 11:45 PM
The new version has a 24" resaw and goes for about 5K. I think 15" is enough and see no downside to the older model. I would take it if in good condition over a MM16 any day. Of course, A Yates Y30- arguably the best mid sized saw ever made just went for about the same price so bandsaw prices are down. The MM is probably the most desired used steel saw and if you get one good carbide blade you will have a $200 benefit. Looks to have mobility kit and 4.8 hp motor. No such thing as more than you need. Dave

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:31 AM
I would HATE having to pay the crating and shipping but that is a good price on that saw, the blades may well cover a lot of the shipping. I don't know if you can get Agazzani there but if you can I would price the B-24 (not the 24" resaw but the 16 1/2" resaw). Though not quite as good as this older MM24 it is an extremely good saw and the best value of the larger (for a hobby shop) Italian saws, Laguna which I know you can get prices their LT24-17 much higher than the Agazzani. In the end I would probably get the MM24 seems like it is a very good deal in very good condition.

mreza Salav
04-24-2012, 1:18 AM
Ok, I'm going to make some calls to rigging/shipping companies. I'm scared to talk to these companies to crate/ship this 2000 miles and typically they don't want to deal with residential.

What is the best way to crate/ship this? lay it back on its spine or up-right? it's a rather tall machine at around 82.5" I think (not as tall as the new MM24 though).

Norb Schmidt
04-24-2012, 9:56 AM
That's a great saw and will last a hobbiest/semi-pro several lifetimes. Standard shipping is upright, but it can certainly be shipped on its spine as well. You may actually save some money on shipping using the upright method (less of a footprint). I'd have it set on a pallet, then a 2x4 superstructure around the entire unit (you could use 1/4" plywood for protective panels) with cross bracing, etc. Shipping Companies are reasonable, but certainly not the same as a residential mover. Also, to save some money on shipping, you can have it delivered to the nearest transfer station by LTL (less than truck load) carrier. Then you can just pick it up there in the dead of night with a pickup (lay it on its spine in the bed) and a bunch of friends. As for getting it into the basement, well, gravity will help!

As a side note: I have a MM20 and love it. It works for both small and big (like processing logs for bowl blanks!).

Best of luck and I hope it all goes well!

Jeff Monson
04-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Thats a great looking saw, the price is reasonable also. You may be surprised what a rigging company will charge, I have had a couple machines rigged and shipped. I'd guess you are looking at another $900.00 in rigging and shipping, that is averages of what I paid for similar rides, but that is in the US. Good luck on your journey, that is a sweet bandsaw either way.

mreza Salav
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I got some great offer of help for crating/shipping but unfortunately the seller told me he has sold the saw.

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Bummer! I was getting excited about watching the journey. It has been my luck when I chase something used like this and lose it something else better, cheaper or both shows up resonably soon.

mreza Salav
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Bummer! I was getting excited about watching the journey. It has been my luck when I chase something used like this and lose it something else better, cheaper or both shows up resonably soon.

I hope so. My wife is happy that it's gone, having seen me haul that 14" J/P from Vegas to Chicago then to Edmonton. She doesn't have problem if I buy a new one (even if it costs a lot more) just doesn't like me tied up with hassle of moving big machinery.

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 1:04 PM
I hope so. My wife is happy that it's gone, having seen me haul that 14" J/P from Vegas to Chicago then to Edmonton. She doesn't have problem if I buy a new one (even if it costs a lot more) just doesn't like me tied up with hassle of moving big machinery.

I don't have a forklift or tractor and I also don't have a big truck and a nice trailer so buying and moving heavy machines can be a real pain. I do it but there are times when it does seem a LOT easier just to break down and fix it with what my wife and I call the check wrench, just write a check and let someone else do the work.

Jim Matthews
04-24-2012, 9:56 PM
So - you'll keep the saw in storage, until you get into the new house?
What will that cost, per month?

mreza Salav
04-24-2012, 11:10 PM
So - you'll keep the saw in storage, until you get into the new house?
What will that cost, per month?

See post #7 (it is gone).
I would have kept it in the garage (instead of taking it down the basement).