PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector suggestions wanted

Joe McMahon
04-23-2012, 5:42 PM
While I await my new lathe, I am thinking about dust collection. I am sensitive to wood dust and wear a Trend Air Shield Pro but would like more to keep things clean. My shop is in my basement without a window. I want D/C for my lathe (especially when sanding) and my bandsaw. A remote would be a plus.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Ed Morgano
04-23-2012, 6:29 PM
Joe,
The standard response to this is get the biggest dust collector that you can afford. I'm partial to the Clear Vue because I used to own the company. However, there are several good choices out there. As to the set up on the lathes, I'm attaching a couple of pictures to show you how I did mine. I don't catch all the chips, but I do catch all of the dust which is what we're after.

These are some pictures of my big lathe. I enclosed the back of it completely and have a 6" pickup attached at the top of the enclosure. This will pull dust from about 3' away right into the pickup. The heavy dust and chips will settle out on the floor. I also put a curtain around the lathe which catches the shavings that fly over my shoulder. Hope this helps.

Roger Chandler
04-23-2012, 6:53 PM
This is how I handle my dust collection at the lathe........I have a 1200 cfm collector with 1 micron filter bags.........I use a big gulp hood that is adjustable in and out attached to a roller stand, without the roller on it.

The wooden base on the big gulp hood is a tongue and groove sliding base that allows it to get close to large and small turnings..........works super well. I also have a remote to turn it on and off at will.

I also use an overhead air cleaner, and the Trend Airshield Pro.

kevin nee
04-24-2012, 8:15 AM
I bought a 3 hp on Amazon for $289 it has 4 bags. I replaced a Shop Fox with a 2 hp
w/ 2 bags that when I went to 6 in pipe it lost suction. I am happy so far with this low
budget Dust Collector. 6 inch pipe is key. It has sucked the sandpaper out of my hand.
Good luck and every penny you spend will be worth it.

Joe McMahon
04-24-2012, 8:28 AM
Kevin, which one did you buy on Amazon?

Richard Jones
04-24-2012, 8:55 AM
Joe,

I don't have a remote, but I did install switches at my lathe, belt/disc sander and band saw, which requires a couple of 3-way and 1 4-way switch. I have a shop vac set up sort of semi-permanent that also has a couple of 3-ways, one of which is at my drill press. I have a Rockler flex-hose here, and just plug the vac hose in when using the DP.

Not sure which bandsaw you have, but on mine there are two ports. I've installed a piece of 4" corrugated drain tile, split vertically, that snaps around the lower guide assembly. This has been a huge help.

Like some others, I have installed some heavy duty clear shower curtains around my lathe to "funnel" chips/shavings towards the floor, which is also a big help. My air filter is mounted above my lathe and off center vertically from the bed about 3' or so. The intake side is within the shower curtain "wall". I turn the filter on when I walk in the shop, regardless of what I'm doing. When I leave, I set the timer for at least 2 hours.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas. I love these threads as they always give me new ideas for some tweaking to my "system".

Rich

Doug Herzberg
04-24-2012, 9:51 AM
I use the PSI Long Ranger remote. It's been working great so far (2+ years). It is RF, so it will transmit through walls. That was important to me, as I plan to move the DC outside the main shop area to reduce noise.

Reed Gray
04-24-2012, 11:43 AM
I have an Oneida system. They are one of the finest out there, and offer a lot of options. The Clear View was not in existence when I got mine, but both systems are made in the USA. The pleated paper filters are far superior to the cloth bags. Main reason is that they offer several times the surface area for the return air to vent through so you can maintain higher air flow, and you don't need as many of them as you do the cloth bags. A sanding hood is great, and I like the enclosed hood that Ed shows. A big gulp vent is better than just the hose. The more enclosed the piece is that you are turning and sanding, the more dust is collected at the source.

A big second on the Long Ranger remote. You may have to get it wired in, but you don't have to point it at the receiver. I keep two in my shop. In my turning area, the one there is on a clip on the wall. I lost one in the shavings. Saw another post here where the turner found it in his burn pile after he cleaned up the shop. The one for my other machines floats around the shop.

robo hippy

kevin nee
04-24-2012, 1:11 PM
It was an OASIS and it shipped from TOOL ORBI
I looked on Amazon and they did not have any but
TOOL ORBIT had some for $299 it is model #1687 A
Check Amazon in a day or so about $70 to ship to
Massachusetts, Good luck,