PDA

View Full Version : Close to pulling the trigger on a lathe - Would this be a foolish move?

Glen Blanchard
04-23-2012, 9:27 AM
I have pretty well decided to purchase a midi lathe in the near future. After inquiring here, I got a good consensus that the Delta 46-460 was the one to get, and I had planned on getting it. However, it seems that folks have been having difficulty getting parts for this lathe, and that has me concerned. I am looking at the JET JWL-1220VS as I have always had excellent CS with JET. It, like the 460 has variable speed, but I don't see the mention of reversibility. So I am weighing the prospect of giving up the reversibility for better CS and parts availability.

Would it be a mistake to get the JET?

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2012, 9:30 AM
Glen...I had a Jet VS mini....not the Jet 1220V. It worked well. If Bernie Weishapl doesn't respond, PM him as I believe he turns on a Jet VS12-20

Tim Rinehart
04-23-2012, 9:51 AM
Glen...hate to complicate things for you, but here goes.

I have the 46-460 and love it. Yes, there are some issues currently with a switch if it fails...but geez, it's hard to believe that's anything but a fluke that will be resolved (supply wise). Regardless...it's cause for concern.

The Jet's are wonderful tools, but except when on sale, seem a bit pricey for comparables to other lathes. I think reliability is going to be as good as it gets with them, but as you suggest, you may be making a small sacrifice in not having the occassional use of a reverse.

Here's where I throw in a wrench on what looks to me like a good value, and what I'd likely buy were I in market for a midi today, the Nova Comet II. It has a very cool little accessory feature off the side, that would be so cool for mounting a grinder when using the lathe for demos...or if you don't already have a grinder it's a real value. They have some intro deal on getting some extra part to use the accessory kits, and the lathe is spec'd pretty good, with reverse capabilities.

Again, never seen one up close, but worth combing the net for others who have it or have used it.

Prashun Patel
04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
I would bet that the number of happy 46-460 users far outweighs the number of dissatisfied ones. Mine has worked well since day 1 out of the box.

I'm sure the Jet is a fine machine (I haven't used it) but the Delta has these IMHO benefits:

Reverse vs forward only.
1hp motor vs 3/4hp
25" bed length vs 20"
12 1/2" swing vs 12". I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but the first time you heave a 12" round block on there only to find there are a few humps that won't clear the ways, you will (read "I do") really appreciate the extra 1/2".

Glen Blanchard
04-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Tim - I REALLY like the price of the Comet II !! However (not being a turner) I know nothing of Nova, the company. Do they make a quality product? The Comet II really looks interesting.

Edit: It looks more like a mini than a midi as it has only 16.25" between centers whereas other midis have 20" (I think).

Edit #2: The Delta also has 16.25" between centers, so this appears to be a true midi. The biggest difference I can see when compared to the Delta is 12" swing vs. 12.5" and 3/4 hp vs. 1 hp.

Jim Underwood
04-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Nova owners I know are happy with them (1642). Mostly the problem is lack of weight. Don't know anyone with a Comet II though.

As for the Jet mini 1014, I've really liked mine. Had some initial problems but finally got it replaced. I don't think they make that 1014 anymore...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Glen....One more thing. The lathe is the cheapest turning tool you will buy. I had a Jet VS Mini given to me along with a SuperNova II chuck and tools. By the end of 2 years I had purchased over $2,000 in accessories. I am not trying to discourage you but rather inform or warn you. Good luck with your journey into the world of turning.

Glen Blanchard
04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I noticed the weight difference. 110 for the Delta vs. something like 89 or 90 for the Nova.

Dennis Ford
04-23-2012, 12:42 PM
I have a Jet 1220 (not VS); it is a very nice lathe. The delta has a little more power and another 1/2" diameter capacity more than the 1220VS. You will be happy with either machine.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Glen,

Ive never had a problem with the 460. I used to have a Rikon mini which was also nice. The "beef" of the 460, the extra capacity, stronger motor AND reversibility are awesome. Like the review in FWW said, it's the last lathe I'll probably need ...

Ralph Lindberg
04-23-2012, 1:26 PM
Glen....One more thing. The lathe is the cheapest turning tool you will buy. I had a Jet VS Mini given to me along with a SuperNova II chuck and tools. By the end of 2 years I had purchased over $2,000 in accessories. I am not trying to discourage you but rather inform or warn you. Good luck with your journey into the world of turning.

What he said.... We have a Jet 1014 and a 1220VS, with the 1220 we find we don't use the 1014 and should sell it (we also have a Nova DVR-XP and a foot powered treadle lathe)

Scott Hackler
04-23-2012, 1:58 PM
Glen, as a Nova 1624-44 owner, I can attest to the quality of their products. They aren't high end, but I would say in the middle. I don't have the Comet II but I would imagine it's a decent lathe.

Sid Matheny
04-23-2012, 2:34 PM
I have the Nova DVR-XP and love it. I'm not sure about the Comet now but when it first came out WoodCraft sent fliers out with them and then a flier saying they had returned them be cause of problems. Don't remember what the problem was or if it was fixed.

Sid

Marvin Hasenak
04-23-2012, 2:51 PM
Delta has changed ownership. Some replacement parts have become a problem, they have a long term warranty, but what good is the warranty without the parts to fix them. Here is a link to the parts for the Delta 46-460 http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-46460-type-variable-speed-midi-lathe-parts-c-3275_9659_157556.html
Look at the number of "no estimated release date".

I am a tried and true Delta tool lover, I like my Delta tools, the old ones, the new one and all of the others. But if I need apart I need it then, not at some "estimated release date"......

Jack Epperson
04-23-2012, 2:51 PM
I have the 460 and love it. I considered a Nova, but went with the majority and got the 460. They are telling you the truth when they say it is just the start of $ you will spend. But if I did a per hour cost it is cheaper than my other hobbie, golf.

Jack

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2012, 3:01 PM
Glenn I have the Jet 1220 VS and love it. You can put reverse on it. Do a search and you will find it. Haven't put it on mine yet because I didn't want to jeopardize the warranty. I thought about it and don't have a service center remotely close so they just send me the parts so I will put in the switch.

Michael Mills
04-23-2012, 3:04 PM
Does the Delta state 1 HP... or is that 1 HP MAX? A lot of difference.

Nothing against the Delta at all but will add, when I ordered some chucks from the Nova service center a few months back I ask about the Comet 2. Distribution had been stopped because of peeling labels and improper tailstock alignment. They (both of them) were having to unbox and check each lathe before retail shipment began again (maybe June?) They did state they were available now from the service center. I don't know if they still have the $50 off offer and free accessory thingie or not.

I have the 1624 (and Nova chucks) and I am pleased but there really is no user data for the Comet 2 that I know of.

Brent VanFossen
04-23-2012, 3:32 PM
I have the Jet 1220-VS and love it. I had both it and the Delta 46-460 on my buy list, and found the Jet at the right price first. I've been told the Jet can be reversed by adding a switch, but I haven't done it yet.

Glen Blanchard
04-23-2012, 4:02 PM
It looks like the JET has 20" center to center while the Delta and Nova have only 16.4". That's almost 20% longer.

paul vechart
04-23-2012, 5:41 PM
I have had the Delta 46-460 since November and like it a lot. There is less than .001" run out on the spindle. The only thing I didn't like was the live center...it has a single bearing and has some wooble so i replaced it with a Nova live center. I am all ready thinking that I will probably move up to a larger lathe in a couple of years, but for now I am pleased. Delta or Jet will get you into the vortex!!!

Jim Burr
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
For what it's worth...I have 2 Jets...1014 and 1642 1.5hp. I've turned on the Delta midi. IMO...it had a lot of plastic and felt a little light. I grew up on the Jet so of course I'm a little biased.

james bell
04-24-2012, 8:32 AM
I purchased the delta 46-460 last November after researching every article/blog I could find. As a newbie turner, didn't want to spend a lot not knowing if in would take to turning (wife gave me lots of grief for not going with something much better) but I'm the frugal one in the family.

Ayway, love the lathe and maybe in the future as my turning experience increases may splurge, but for not I am very satisfied with the delta.

I also have a unisaw and lots of porter cable sanders (owned by delta) and have never had any problems with parts, as I have rebuilt my unisaw and sanders. I just go to their web site, type in the model number and order.

Peter Lamb
04-24-2012, 8:52 AM
As I have said before here I have been using the 46-460 for over two years. Yes it had a switch problem which was quickly resolved. I'm very pleased with the lathe and would buy it again. It has performed as advertised. The new owners of Delta are making good efforts to supporting their lathes. A five year warranty is a good thing

Glen Blanchard
04-24-2012, 9:23 AM
The trigger has been pulled..................on a..............wait for it..........wait for it.............46-460. Free 2 day shipping (Amazon Prime member - ya gotta love Prime!!) and even got a $50 rebate.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Please be patient with me. I'm sure I'm gonna have lots of questions.

Brian Kent
04-24-2012, 9:27 AM
Congratulations Glen. I bet you will be extremely happy with your decision!

Brent VanFossen
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Congratulations!

Kyle Iwamoto
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Congrats! I've turned on both the Jets, Rikon and the Delta mini/midis. The Delta is indeed a good lathe, just hope your switch lasts! Get the stand. It's a pretty nifty stand.

james bell
04-25-2012, 8:52 AM
I agree on the stand, but be careful on casters. They screwed in fine, but after a short while, they wobbled. Seems the nut arrangement in the stand is not that sturdy. Took off the end caps and put nuts in to shore it up and has worked fine.

Denny Rice
05-02-2012, 11:42 PM

I could not agree more with Ken.......I am new to the turning world too, and after the purchase of just the lathe (the Jet 1642EVS) I thought I was done except for little things. WRONG! A decent set of turning tools, facemask, chuck, new grinder with new wheels and Wolverine attachment....Should I go on? Thats not even half the list. This gets expensive real quick.