PDA

View Full Version : A busy day in the shop.

Kathy Marshall
04-23-2012, 2:57 AM
The weather forecast called for record heat today of 103, and it sure felt like we hit it! So to enojoy the balmy temps :eek: I thought i'd start off with some chainsaw work. I cut up a couple big mesquite logs and an af sumac log and ended up with about 10 blanks. After I sealed them, I was ready to get out from the sun!
My 1st project was to complete the finish on this little ash hf. I turned this Saturday night when I got home from the club meeting. I had cut out a blank a few days ago with the intention of trying some texturing. Since the ash was pretty bland, I thought it would be a good candidate since if I messed it up, it wouldn't be a big loss. I had the piece finish turned and sanded and was just getting ready to turn off the tenon when I noticed just the slightest bit of curl and I just couldn't make myself take a wire wheel to it, so I went with dye insted. The dye I used was Wine Red, but after I applied it, it looked more pink than red, so I added just a bit of brown to the remaining mix and it toned it down just enough. After dyeing, I was able to apply about 4 coats of spray lacquer in about 15 minutes thanks to the dry heat. So today I started out with some steel wool to smooth out the surface, then applied another 4 coats of lacquer, then let it sit while I turned project #2, then more steel wool and then a triple buff.
5" x 5"
For my 2nd project, I had a visit from another turner last weekend. Her and her husband come to Phx each year from Feb - Apr and we have a mutual friend in fellow Creeker Barry Richardson. Suzanne and her husband dropped by on their way home from golfing in Wickenburg, we had a nice chat, I showed them some of my turnings and found a few blanks for her to play with before they leave town, and she left me with a cored out bowl blank of box elder (the date written on it was from 2006 so it was definitely ready to be finish turned!).
So I finish turned the bowl then again decided to go with a little dye and dyed the outside red. The inside has about 6 coats of spray lacquer, then I applied the dye on the outside and just applied a coat of sanding sealer to lock in the dye. I'll apply lacquer tomorrow. 9" x 2"
Excuse the crappy pics, didn't realize they were so out of focus until I uploaded them, these are the best of the bunch.

And lastly project #3. I rough turned a couple of platters from an elm crotch about a month ago, then gave them a DNA bath for about a week, and then left them to dry. Today I finished up the smaller of the 2, I'll let the bigger one dry a bit more. It's 9" x 1" with just a coat of danish oil so far.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Rick Markham
04-23-2012, 3:33 AM
Wow, these are all really nice Kathy, I can see why you didn't want to texturize the ash form, it turned out really nice. I really like the lip and mouth of it, it fits the shape really well. The color works well. I also like the contrast of the second bowl, the naked inside really makes it! I think the best of the bunch is that platter though. That's a gorgeous piece of wood, and I really like it's shape, especially the inner curve and lip. It kind of plays with my mind a little bit, and I tend to like that, it's unique and simple but adds tremendously to the piece. Ya done good! While you were chainsawin' in the heat I was writing a research paper... I would have gladly traded you :D Thankfully it is done now, so you're off the hook! :)

John Keeton
04-23-2012, 7:15 AM
Kathy Marshall, aka " The Turning Machine!!" Kathy, your forms are always well done. I like the dye applications, too.

Bob Rotche
04-23-2012, 7:35 AM
They are all well done but I especially like the ash hf!

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2012, 7:39 AM
Wow! You were busy! Nice work on everything! I especially like the way you have the bowl dyed! Having the contrast between dye and natural wood is always a winner to me! Also really like the grain of the Elm bowl! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Roger Chandler
04-23-2012, 7:49 AM
Good Stuff, K!!!

Bill Hensley
04-23-2012, 8:08 AM
Like them all. The ash hf shape and coloring make it stand out but my focus keeps returning to the elm bowl. The grain and that subtle detail below the rim just really appeals to me.

Jon Nuckles
04-23-2012, 9:40 AM
All are very nice, Kathy. You put us mere mortals to shame with that much quality work. Nice to see that you were able to keep the dye on the boxelder from bleeding through to the inside, especially at the rim. Good job!

Tim Rinehart
04-23-2012, 9:53 AM
Busy weekend indeed! I like the contrast in the bowl, but they're all well done. Dying wood is a hoot, ain't it!

Mike Golka
04-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Great looking pieces Kathy as always, keep em coming.

steven carter
04-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Looks more like a busy week for most turners. Love the dyed HF, you made the right choice there, and the others are top notch as well.

Deane Allinson
04-23-2012, 1:32 PM
Love the little platter with the "stepped lip" great wood. I will have to steal the idea.
Deane

Baxter Smith
04-23-2012, 2:05 PM
Every one of those is nice Kathy! I keep meaning to try some dye on the outside of a bland bowl sometime. Did you use an airbrush to avoid lap marks? Another toy on my list to acquire.
That little step on the platter adds a lot!

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2012, 3:03 PM
Wow Kathy you have been busy. They are all beautiful.

Sid Matheny
04-23-2012, 7:01 PM
Wow 103°! You are a tough cookie and I'm a wimp. At 90° I head in the house to the AC. Easy to see the heat didn't bother you when we see the results of the day. All wonderful pieces.

Sid

Kathy Marshall
04-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks everyone!
I'm happy with how they all turned out, but I'm anxious to try the bigger elm piece, that should yield an 11" platter and it has even better figure. Patience definitely isn't my strong point, but I think I can hold off for another 2 or 3 weeks and maybe it will be dry enough to avoid much movement.

Every one of those is nice Kathy! I keep meaning to try some dye on the outside of a bland bowl sometime. Did you use an airbrush to avoid lap marks? Another toy on my list to acquire.
That little step on the platter adds a lot!
Baxter, I use a makeup sponge to apply the dye (got the idea from a post by John K for applying finish and it works just as well for dye). I mix my powdered dye with acetone, it dries almost immediately and wiping over any lap marks with the damp sponge removes and lap or drip marks.

Wow 103°! You are a tough cookie and I'm a wimp. At 90° I head in the house to the AC. Easy to see the heat didn't bother you when we see the results of the day. All wonderful pieces.

Sid
Well I was wrong, it actually hit 105 :eek:, I just wish it had given us a little more time to aclimate. A week ago Saturday, we barely hit 65! It finally forced me to turn on the A/C and I was really enjoying the very low electric bills I've had for the last few months.

Rob Cunningham
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
"Well I was wrong, it actually hit 105 :eek:,"- But it's a dry heat, it's not that bad :D

Very nice work Kathy. I really like the two-toned bowl.

Ed Morgano
04-24-2012, 3:39 PM
Kathy Marshall, aka " The Turning Machine!!" Kathy, your forms are always well done. I like the dye applications, too.

Kathy,
What John said..... You are truely a turning machine and your work is stunning.

Pat Scott
04-24-2012, 4:46 PM
I like the dyed HF, I think the color works well with the shape. I'll have to remember that myself. Ditto for coloring the bowl.

But...if your platter is only 9", then it's really a plate. Plates are generally 12" and less, platters start at 13" and go up.

Bill Wyko
04-24-2012, 6:36 PM
Hey Kathy, Ididn't realize ou were so close, I'm in Tucson. we hit 102 I think over the weekend. It's always a pleasure to see your work and these are no exception, very well done. We'll have to meet up some time.