PDA

View Full Version : What is this wood?

Brian Effinger
04-22-2012, 10:15 PM
The other day, the town highway department took down a tree around the corner from me, and left several sections of the trunk at the curb to pick up later. Even though I had a ton of work to do, I went home to get the truck, and my homemade 2x6 lever (the wood was too heavy to lift myself). And being too heavy, I managed to bust the tailgate. D'oh! 10 years of rust in the ball & socket joint will do it.

Anyway, I cut into it tonight and I'm wondering what it is. I'm thinking ambrosia maple, but am not sure. What do you think?

Thanks.

Jamie Donaldson
04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Red Ambrosia Maple, a score! Be sure to seal the end grain immediately with green wood sealer, then it can usually be stored for several months or more before turning.

Roger Chandler
04-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Yep.........I agree with Jamie........red maple with beetle tracks in it.

Brian Effinger
04-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks Jamie & Roger. Right now it is out of the wind and weather (and 8 to 10 inches of snow we're supposed to get in the next day or so), but I will get it coated with anchor seal as soon as I can.

One more question, though. Will the ambrosia staining go into the heartwood? I can see some beatle holes in it, but think the natural color of the wood overpowers it.

Vernon Jenewein
04-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Somewhere I remember reading about a wood worker that stored his cut wood vertical. Claimed it didn't need painting on the end that way and dried out pretty nice witough checking. Have any of you heard this? BTW Nice pieces of wood. Wonder how much wood like that is "heat" for the winter?

Paul Gallian
04-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Road crews and line crews fell trees, cut them up and leave them along the property edge for the landowner, most are very possessive! I always ask first before removal.
SW Missouri...

I do not want to be arrested

paul

Bill Wyko
04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Any way you look at it, nice score.