PDA

View Full Version : You Can't Be SERIOUS!

Pete Jordan
04-22-2012, 8:10 PM
My dreams have come true!

A few years ago a friend and I started a local turning club and we have about 10 members which meets every other week. Last week my friend told me he was moving to Florida and wouldn't need his lathe or tools any more. I had let him know that if he ever was to part with it to let me know. Yesterday I became the proud papa of a Serious lathe. It is 3 hp and has a #3 morse taper in the headstock and a #4 in the tailstock. It is such a beast that I can't believe it! He also gave me 2 strongholds and many turning tools.

Needless to say I am overwhelmed and look forward to a turning summer. I am not sure what I will do with my 3520B but I'm sure I will figure it out. Thanks for looking.

Pete

Marty Eargle
04-22-2012, 8:16 PM
I've never heard of the brand...but that looks like a serious piece of machinery! I can only imagine that you're just as thrilled about this as many of us are jealous!

Sad that your friend had to part with his lathe, but lucky for you. Look forward to seeing it half covered in shavings.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2012, 8:17 PM
That is one Serious lathe! Congrats Pete!

charlie knighton
04-22-2012, 8:27 PM
congratulations Pete

Gary Max
04-22-2012, 8:29 PM
Pete I would take my time about selling your mustard monster-----test drive the Serious for a couple months first.

Jim Burr
04-22-2012, 8:46 PM
And it's not even Christmas time! Nice score Pete!!!

Roger Chandler
04-22-2012, 8:51 PM
A Serious lathe is a high end piece of equipment.......on par with anything on the market including Robust American Beauty....congratulations on a fine piece of turning hardware!

Alan Trout
04-22-2012, 9:00 PM
Pete,

That is a real cool deal. Congratulations it looks almost new!

Alan

Nate Davey
04-22-2012, 9:03 PM
Congrats Peter. What a generous friend you have. Can't wait to hear what it's like to turn on the behemoth.

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2012, 9:18 PM
Congrats Pete!! That is quite the gloat!! You should keep your Mustard so you will have something to turn finials on!!

Looking forward to seeing how you like turning on this beast!! Have fun!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2012, 9:29 PM
Congrats Pete. Thank is one hunk of iron.

Rick Markham
04-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Congrats Pete!! Now that's how you do a gloat! That is a beautiful machine! Definitely one of the finest lathes available, and a dream machine for sure. I'd keep the PM 3520B... Then you have a "big one" and a "little one" :D

Bill Wyko
04-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Serious lathes are incredible 1500lbs of rock solid lathe. Nice score. As far as the 3520B goes, pay it forward to someone deserving.:)

John Keeton
04-23-2012, 6:30 AM
Pete, this can't be good news - just think of all the accessories you will have to switch out with those odd morse tapers!!!:D While you have it on dollies, I will just come and get it out of your way to save you the expense of the switch over!!

That is one fine gloat!!

Pete Jordan
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your responses! I already have another small General lathe for finials so I am all set there.

John, I hate to say this but he included all of the adapters, a monster system, 3 sizes of Kelton blades, a spindle rest, and many turning tools!
I also purchased his regular tools which includes a 3 tier toolchest stocked full more tools than I know how to use. I filled up a pickup Friday and got the lathe and dust collector system Saturday. I am very blessed and overwhelmed!

Tim Rinehart
04-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Pete...that's just sick!!
You must have been a good friend, congrats on scoring one of the finest current production lathes around. Look forward to hearing your experience with it.

I'm betting you could add a few sandbags underneath to help give it some more ballast...:p

Have fun and be safe.

Roger Chandler
04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Geez ...........talk about falling into it.................I don't think I have ever told anyone you S _ _ _ , but in this case I might be tempted! :eek::rolleyes:

"Seriously" ;) congratulations on a great lathe.............and all those other goodies..........you should be ready to tackle anything with that arsenal!!!

Scott Hackler
04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Congrats on getting a monster lathe. I sure hope your shop floor is strong enough for that beast. Seems to me that the one I looked at in St Paul was 1400lbs or so!

Doug W Swanson
04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
That's a nice gloat for sure! If you decide to part with the Mustard, I'm sure there'd be a line at your door (including me!)

Baxter Smith
04-23-2012, 1:53 PM
That is a massive looking lathe! Congrats and enjoy!

Rich Aldrich
04-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Seriously, that is an amazing lathe. Congrats. Too bad your friend isnt going to turn any more or is he going to upgrade...is there an upgrade?

Pete Jordan
04-26-2012, 6:57 AM
Seriously, that is an amazing lathe. Congrats. Too bad your friend isnt going to turn any more or is he going to upgrade...is there an upgrade?

He is moving to a condo in Florida so space is limited. I am still trying to figure out the best place to put the lathe in the garage.

Roland Martin
04-27-2012, 7:37 AM
WOW, Pete, it just does'nt get any better than that!! A very big congrats to you!

Jim Podsedly
02-15-2013, 2:22 PM
Hey Pete. I haven't been on this forum in a while but saw this thread while perusing. Who moved? That is a sweet lathe! Who got your mustard? How are things in MI? Not doing too much turning down here. All the tools are in the garage and ready to be used once I get around to it. I brought down about 40 rough turned bowls ranging in size from 8" - 19". Mainly cherry, walnut, and Ash. They are ready to be finished. Hope all is well with you and the turning group. jim

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-15-2013, 4:48 PM
Your real gloat is not the tools but the friendship. Enjoy both.
faust

Bill Bukovec
02-15-2013, 8:41 PM
I will make the sacrifice and haul that 3520B away for you.:D Looks like you could use the room.

How large of a bowl can you turn now?

Bill

Aric Krueger
02-15-2013, 9:31 PM
What a score! (and a great friend you have!) ...A little like winning the lottery? The only other wood lathe that comes close to that heavy-weight, high-end, bad boy is the Laguna Pinnacle MTP105 and IMHO, the Serious SL2542 is the better one. Congratulations!

Here's a Dream Machine comparison.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/fundamentals/lathe/UpgradeYourLathe.pdf

Jeffrey J Smith
02-15-2013, 10:10 PM
That's quite a gift. I checked out the Serious at the San Jose Symposium - massive was my first impression.

ps:it may just be me, but is your computer living in April of 2012, or am I just seeing a wierd date and time on your posts?

David DeCristoforo
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
"You Can't Be SERIOUS!"
Apparently, you can...

Curt Fuller
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Good things happen to good people Pete!

Pete Jordan
02-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Hey Pete. I haven't been on this forum in a while but saw this thread while perusing. Who moved? That is a sweet lathe! Who got your mustard? How are things in MI? Not doing too much turning down here. All the tools are in the garage and ready to be used once I get around to it. I brought down about 40 rough turned bowls ranging in size from 8" - 19". Mainly cherry, walnut, and Ash. They are ready to be finished. Hope all is well with you and the turning group. jim

Hey Jim,

Norm moved to Fla and got rid of everything. I was the lucky recipient of most of the stuff. Hope everything is well with you and your family. I am still using the wood you left me.

This is an old thread from last spring but I am still excited! Thanks for the comments!

Dennis Nagle
02-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I have only been turning for a month now and bought a Ridgid WL1200 tube style lathe. I can't even imagine working on your Serious.

Kirk Miller
02-18-2013, 3:55 AM
Seriously Pete,
That must be some kind of chinese made parking lot special. I will drive down from Alaska to help you get rid of it.........LOL Congrats and I am sure it will serve you well

Denny Rice
02-18-2013, 4:55 AM
He is moving to a condo in Florida so space is limited. I am still trying to figure out the best place to put the lathe in the garage.
Just move the car outside and leave it outside, the garage is now lathe country! To heck with the car needing space in a garage! LOL