PDA

View Full Version : Return 1/4 round into 1/4 round

Dave Norris
04-22-2012, 8:05 PM
Hi Everyone,
Hopefully I can describe this well enough that someone can help me figure out how to make what I need.

I'd like to build an end table which will basically be a box. Each vertical corner will be 1/4 round, and the top horizontal corners will also be corner round. I need to make the top corners so that the vertical and horizontal corner rounds come together to basically form an eighth of a sphere (if that makes sense). If the miter the top corners of 1/4 round, then there will actually be an overhang where the vertical corner round butts into it.

I was thinking of basically mitering the corner on the horizontal, and then butting the vertical piece into it. Then using a handplane to generally shape it, and then probably sanding it the rest of the way. That seem imprecise though.

Any thoughts?

Phil Thien
04-22-2012, 8:44 PM
Any thoughts?

Use a roundover bit in a router to shape square stock that has been fitted to the piece?

Jamie Buxton
04-22-2012, 11:53 PM
You could double-miter all three pieces of quarter-round. Say you're looking down on the top of the box, where you're thinking of mitering the quarter-rounds. Okay, do that. Now shift your view to one side. You can kinda see that you could miter both the quarter-rounds in that view, just like you mitered both the quarter-rounds in the top view. Repeat on the other side. You get three quarter-rounds, each with two miter cuts on it. There's still some shaping to do to turn it all into an eighth-sphere, but the result is completely symmetric, unlike your proposed solution.

johnny means
04-23-2012, 9:38 AM
Route up the corner on the vertical, then route around the radiused top horizontally.

Dave Norris
04-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Hmmm...

So Jamie, in a way (key words "in a way"), kind of like doing munions on a sash? Interesting...

Johnny, so put the stock that will be rounded over in place, then route the side corners, then do the top with a bit with a bearing on the bottom so the bearing rides around the rounded side, rounding off the corner?