PDA

View Full Version : 23 Gauge Headless Pinner Recommendations

Rich Riddle
04-22-2012, 7:29 PM
I am looking for a 23 gauge headless pinner. Does anyone have one of these and feel good recommending a specific brand or model? Thank you.

jim sauterer
04-22-2012, 7:52 PM
i have a grex and really like it.it only shoots to 1 3/8 so cant comment on larger pins.

Kevin Womer
04-22-2012, 7:55 PM
I bought a Freeman a couple of years ago from Woodcraft, never any problems with it and was around $39.99. I think it shoots only up to 1" pins, any longer and I use an 18 gauge. I don't like the saftety on the trigger, but other than that it has been well worth it for me for occassional use. Whatever you buy you will love the fact you can harly notice the pin holes. It works great on picture frames and jigs in the shop.

Shawn Pixley
04-22-2012, 8:02 PM
I have the Grex and would recommend it. They make several models with the ability to handle different lengths.

Dave Lehnert
04-22-2012, 8:12 PM
I have and like the Senco.

Bruce Page
04-22-2012, 8:19 PM
I also have the Grex. It's the only 23 gauge pinner I have used. It does not mar the wood at all, even on soft pine

Steve Griffin
04-22-2012, 8:27 PM
One of the finest tools in my shop is the Max pinner. It was doubly expensive because now I really want to replace my Senco brad nailer with a Max too.

1.375 pin capacity is a must if you wish to nail .75" wood, such as cabinet face frame stiles.

Jeff Monson
04-22-2012, 8:33 PM
Grex for me also, great pinner

frank shic
04-22-2012, 8:33 PM
+1 grex great for pinning small pieces like miter returns and tacking raised panel doors together while the glue dries

Rich Riddle
04-22-2012, 8:38 PM
One of the finest tools in my shop is the Max pinner. It was doubly expensive because now I really want to replace my Senco brad nailer with a Max too.

1.375 pin capacity is a must if you wish to nail .75" wood, such as cabinet face frame stiles.

Thanks for that thought about the 3/4" wood; it would have been a huge oversight. It looks as though the majority of folks are indicating the Grex model....on the Internet those P635 models appear to cost about $200. Does anyone know of a good sale on a Grex?

Curt Harms
04-22-2012, 8:52 PM
No experience but Hitachi makes a pin nailer that will take a 1 3/8" pins. Big sky tool has 'em for $89.99 new and $59 refurb. I think Hitachi framers have a pretty decent rep, no idea about the small guns.

Michael Heffernan
04-22-2012, 8:55 PM
I have the Grex P635 and love it. Unlike some of the more inexpensive brands, it's self-adjusting for different length pins. No marring and never jams. I do wish I had the P645 (1-3/4")or P650 (2") for the occasional longer pinning needs.
About the cheapest I've seen it is for $198 on Amazon with free shiiping.

Peter Quinn
04-22-2012, 9:02 PM
I have a PC, and would not recommend it. I've used bostich and senco, both are decent. The PC sort of smashes its way in randomly and leaves marks that are very contrary to what I usually want a headless pin for, which is nearly invisible fasteners in small stock. And I hate the safety, just a nuisance. I will replace that gun as soon as money allows or a job requires it. I can't imagine needing much longer than 1" pins though, maybe 1 3/8" for some panel moldings for toe nailing. But realistically these things due to the nature of the headless pine have very little holding or clamping power. I've seen some with nearly 2" capacity, and wondered when I would ever need a 2" fastener and still be using a 23 gauge headless pin? I've used them primarily for attaching applied beads to inset face frames, for holding small panel molding that is glued on, and for initial tacking of jig assembly. Frankly they can't even be trusted to hold something in place that will later be clamped IME as they are not strong enough to withstand the twisting that comes from applying clamping pressure.

Rich Riddle
04-22-2012, 9:04 PM
One retailer has the P645 for $278 while the P650 runs about $325. These are both good options since I will be doing trim work around windows and with tongue and grooved boards soon.

I have the Grex P635 and love it. Unlike some of the more inexpensive brands, it's self-adjusting for different length pins. No marring and never jams. I do wish I had the P645 (1-3/4")or P650 (2") for the occasional longer pinning needs.
About the cheapest I've seen it is for $198 on Amazon with free shiiping.

Paul Wunder
04-22-2012, 9:09 PM
I would love a Grex or one of the high end pinners, but my infrequent use nixes the cost/benefit equation

I own a Harbor Freight 23 gauge pinner (yes, THAT HF) for $23. I do not use their pins; I use Grex (from Amazon).

I have done a number of projects to pin molding into Maple, Poplar and Pine. The HF NEVER JAMS, NEVER MISFIRES (at least not yet).

If I needed one for a commercial or heavy duty use where reliability is crucial, perhaps I would have chosen differently.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/68000-68999/68022.pdf

keith denbesten
04-22-2012, 10:09 PM
I have the Hitachi, I've only run a few clips through it and it's done all the mahogany I've put in front of it. I don't know if it's commercial grade. All I'm hoping for is to have it hold out while I trim the house. I think it was 80.00 give or take.

Dan Friedrichs
04-22-2012, 11:28 PM
The Harbor Freight one (which can be had on sale for $9) is one of their real "gems". It "feels" like it should be much more expensive.

That said, I don't know if the pins they sell are as good as some of the others - every time I've tried to use mine, easily 50% of the pins curl around and end up coming out the front of the work. I'm planning on getting some other brand pins to see if this fixes the problem...

Bill ThompsonNM
04-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Grex, no comparison The festool of pinners.

Matt Meiser
04-23-2012, 8:00 AM
I had a Harbor Freight which worked great but was limited to 1" pins which IMHO are a little short if you ever want to tack together 3/4" pieces. Now I have a Bostitch which also works well. I probably would have bought a Grex, but stumbled across a clearance deal at an outlet store and got it for something like $50.

John McClanahan
04-23-2012, 8:03 AM
I don't use mine enough to justify a good brand name. I'm happy with my Harbor Freight.

Prashun Patel
04-23-2012, 9:09 AM
I just went through this process.

There are 2 types: ones that shoot < 1" reliably, and ones that shoot slightly longer (1 3/8") ones.

The Grex is generally regarded as one of the best ones.

I ended up getting the Porter Cable PC138. It was about 1/2 price of the Grex. I find it to shoot 1 3/8" pins reliably. However, I am only a hobbyist. The PC138 does not do a good job of countersinking the pins. You can make it countersink by removing the protective plastic nose. However, this will cause denting. IMHO, flush pins are less visible than countersinked ones with little dents that require filling. If I wanted to fill, I'd just use an 18g nailer...

The Grex, it seems, does not have this 'bug'. Nonetheless, I am happy with the PC138.

If you want to only shoot pins < 1", then there are a bunch of options. The HF is popular, as is the Freeman and Husky nailers. All of these can be had in the $25 range...

scott vroom
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
+1 on the Grex 635

Bill Arnold
04-23-2012, 11:46 AM
My HF does everything I need a pinner to do.

Neil Brooks
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
YOUR money ? Grex or Cadex.

MY money: meh. My HF works pretty darned well ;)

Rich Riddle
04-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the information. I ordered the Grex 645L today. It looks like it will suit the needs just fine.

Clint Baxter
04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I have and like the Grex 650. It shoots the 2" pins into hardwood again without leaving a mark. You do, however, get the occasional pin that will curl back on you. I've only had this really happen when I'm shooting the 2" pins though. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

Clint

Craig McCormick
04-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I have the HF also. Never a problem.

AZCRAIG

ed vitanovec
04-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I too have the Harbor Freight and it has worked well, I don't use it a lot and felt a low end one would work out for me.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
04-23-2012, 11:30 PM
+1 for the Freeman on sale @ Woodcraft (don't know if it is now, but was when I "pulled the trigger." ha, ha, ha ...)

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:32 AM
If you are willing to pay for it get a Grex or my second shoice would be Cadex. Either way and you will have a top of the line pinner.

Alan Lightstone
04-24-2012, 1:10 AM
I have the Grex. Simply works all the time. No fuss, no bother, no marring.

Roger Feeley
04-24-2012, 5:59 PM
I have the Porter Cable and I don't recommend it. It works ok but when you first attach the air, it hisses until you drive the first pin. It kind of irritates me so I grab a piece of scrap and waste a pin. It's not a big deal but there ought to be better.

Chris Friesen
04-24-2012, 6:12 PM
For what it's worth, I've got the Ridgid. It'll do 1 3/8". I've only put a few thousand pins through it so far, but it seems to work fine. Got it for $80 on sale, or less than half the price of a Grex.

Neil Brooks
04-24-2012, 8:03 PM
Rich:

I presume you haven't received it, yet, but ... is there a sign-up sheet for borrowing it ??

;)

Thanks !

Prashun Patel
04-24-2012, 8:23 PM
i don't have that issue with my pc138

Mark Levitski
04-24-2012, 9:00 PM
Cadex, for sure.

Andrew Joiner
04-25-2012, 1:16 AM
I don't need a pinner , but it's fun reading up on them. Just an observation from this thread and many others here. I guess it's something I tend to do as well. That is to justifying the use of a Harbor Freight item.
Why is that? I guess when an expensive tool works well it's to be expected , but when a cheap tool works well it often amazes me. Often it's said something like" It's just a HF but it works fine". Funny soon I'll be saying " Please don't think less of me but I have a low cost tool I love"

Jerome Hanby
04-25-2012, 7:41 AM
That is to justifying the use of a Harbor Freight item.
Why is that? I guess when an expensive tool works well it's to be expected , but when a cheap tool works well it often amazes me. Often it's said something like" It's just a HF but it works fine". Funny soon I'll be saying " Please don't think less of me but I have a low cost tool I love"

Guess it's just human nature. Some people will buy one piece of junk item from HF (they have many to choose from) and immediately damn every item in the place now and in the future. They do have some items that are a great bargain (meaning a good price for an item that does its job). Just as an example, some of their clamps. I really don't like their F clamps, i have four of the longer ones and i end up using them when I need the length, but I always notice that they are not as good as my other clamps. But their newest, smallest F Clamps are great. I bought a couple at $1.99 a piece and went back and bought my total up to 10. I use the things all the time now. Likewise their 3/4" pipe clamps, they have a new style that has the feet like Rockler's. Not sure there is much to say about a pipe clamp, it either works or it doesn't, these do. Other than their fein look-alike multi-tool, I pretty much go along with the prevailing wisdom to skip any of their products with a motor...at least the portable tools. I've bought several when I needed something quick and cheap for a particular job (or to fill a gap while another tool was being repaired or replaced). All of those are now in my stash of tools i keep around to loan the neighbors <g>.

Gordon Eyre
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM
After a year or two of wanting one I broke down yesterday and ordered a Grex. It is on the way from Amazon.

Art Mulder
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
bought the ridgid because of the price and warranty :)
forgot to submit the warranty card until it was too late to qualify for the lifetime... :mad:

Oh well, the price was still a lot less than grex, and for a hobbiest it does what I need.

David Hostetler
04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
I only use my pin nailer for pinning trim into place while glue dries. My HF purple pinner does a dandy job for cheap money...

frank shic
04-26-2012, 12:52 PM
the pinner really helps in tacking together smaller parts and doesn't even make much of a sound like the larger guns do